IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Concede on Koran omission
I think, not having read it entirely or recently. Perhaps the rationale is found in the Sharia, supposedly derived from 'principles' - thus subject to even more interpretation.. I pretend no more certainty about 'all the Muslims' than I believe there IS such a thing as, 'The Murican Peepul'. Imagine the actual diversity of individual practitioners (!) I can't.

As to emotion in conversion - even in supposedly intellectual pursuits, isn't the Aha! (when you get lucky) rather compelling evidence that a breakthrough is always accompanied by an emotional (pleasure / satisfaction)? That is: I don't believe it is possible to 'convert' (either way) from what is always a combination of mind/heart - without that which many call, an epiphany. (But of course - no one can ever know what another actually 'felt' except by deeming their report an honest one).

A.
New Conversion
If you limit the domain to religion, I would agree that the majority of conversions involve an epiphany. Heck, from what I've read, every conversion to fundamentalist Christian has involved a strongly emotional and relatively fast conversion.

However, this isn't true of conversions to atheism. Some of the experiences of conversion to atheism that I have read have taken a long and meandering path that didn't involve anything that might be called an epiphany.

And when it comes to science, I can personally attest to being forced to accept position I didn't like by weight of evidence. Such situation don't involve the joy of discovery and understanding that comes with most science.

Jay

New I think that's an
astute observation. Nor can I pretend to 'understand' the process by which (say) a once "stark, rapid emotional decision" is later undermined? nibbled at by ducks? .. leading to a sort of "Oh Well - it seemed Right at the time" resignation.

Y'know? Maybe another case of, 'all generalizations are false including this one'. I suppose you've just demonstrated that the 'suddenness' may be a most frequent component: but 'mind/heart' may indeed change over time as well, with either more experience or deeper contemplation.

Ashton
     Abraham: "The Father of a Crowd of Nations" - (brettj) - (10)
         I can see where your going with this - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
             I wish I knew. - (brettj) - (8)
                 Re: I wish I knew. - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
                     Believe a distinction is made about 'jihads', though. - (Ashton) - (4)
                         Re: Believe a distinction is made about 'jihads', though. - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                             Concede on Koran omission - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 Conversion - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                     I think that's an - (Ashton)
                     I'm not sure what other religions believe. - (brettj) - (1)
                         Re: I'm not sure what other religions believe. - (JayMehaffey)

Do your part to keep the LpH climbing!
45 ms