IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ClearCase isn't (necessarily) the problem...
ClearCase is a pain inna ass...if 1) you don't have sufficient privileges to do your work (fairly common, until the admins loosen their anal sphincters about their "brand new toy"), 2) if the server is underpowered, or doesn't have enough resources allocated for it (corollary: They always underestimate), 3) The network is anything less that 10Base100, and 4) the admins are inexperienced, clueless, arrogant, or stupid (this is an inclusive 'or').

I believe I've described 95% or the environments in which ClearCase is deployed.

However, I've worked with it in one of the 3 documented cases where none of the above caveats are present...and it is a dream (compared to the other VC systems I've had to deal with.

Since you've just switched, the MTBS (Mean Time Before Shakedown) is about a month, so consider that things are not going to go smoothly for another 4 weeks. After that, things may actually start working.

And if they tell you they're going to implement UCM before they get everything working smoothly in base Clearcase, shoot the admin!!!

(And, no, I'm not a ClearCase admin, nor do I own stock in Rational...are you kidding?!?)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
New They started with UCM
Lemme guess - this will multiply the "shakedown" time by - what - 100?

I object to a system that requires me to check in all work before getting a local update - I also object to a system that requires explicit checkout to work on a file - especially when said checkout takes about 20 seconds to occur *and* I object to systems that can possibly destroy work (which this one has).

One man's dream is another man's eternal nightmare.

The tree of research must from time to time be refreshed with the blood of bean counters.
     -- Alan Kay
New LRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #142012 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=142012|LRPD]
-drl
New 20 seconds to check out...
... indicates clear violations of Conditions 2 or 3 (again, inclusive OR).

And your factor is a little high; in practice, it only increases the shakedown by a factor of 40 or so...

;-)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating that facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT
Expand Edited by jb4 Feb. 17, 2004, 02:04:55 PM EST
     ClearCase - (tuberculosis) - (44)
         Interesting... - (admin) - (21)
             Yeah, because CVS just doesn't have enough frontends yet -NT - (drewk) - (17)
                 Huh? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                     Exactly... how much more can you have? none much more! -NT - (folkert)
                     What, didn't you see the implied [sarcasm] tag? - (drewk) - (1)
                         I'm not that good at spotting sarcasm in person - (tuberculosis)
                 ? - (admin) - (12)
                     I thought everyone.. - (deSitter) - (11)
                         It's not a "vendor" - (admin) - (10)
                             Re: It's not a "vendor" - (deSitter) - (9)
                                 He meant CVS isn't a vendor - (drewk) - (1)
                                     Re: He meant CVS isn't a vendor - (deSitter)
                                 Oh, I can easily see what more I *want* - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                     Re: Oh, I can easily see what more I *want* - (deSitter)
                                     Subversion supposedly hits the directories issue - (drewk) - (4)
                                         Same here: - (Arkadiy)
                                         I'm still waiting - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                             Re: I'm still waiting - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                 Well, as an IDEA fan who uses OS X - I can relate to him -NT - (tuberculosis)
             Shrugs - they're about the same - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                 The 6.5 GUI sucks - (admin) - (1)
                     I don't remember which verison we had - (Simon_Jester)
         I escaped before conversion took place - (Arkadiy) - (4)
             Actually it just locks everybody -NT - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 From what I heard, - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                     We actually do that (almost) - (drewk)
                     Depends on how it's setup - (Simon_Jester)
         Wussy tools. - (pwhysall) - (12)
             That's the one :) - (deSitter) - (11)
                 CMS, not CVS. - (pwhysall) - (10)
                     Re: CMS, not CVS. - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Wuss. -NT - (pwhysall)
                     must be a different CMS - (cforde) - (7)
                         CMS is a component of DECSET - (pwhysall) - (5)
                             CMS true story - (dlevitt)
                             hmm,... - (cforde) - (3)
                                 Re: hmm,... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     don't have to be old ... - (cforde) - (1)
                                         ...to be a fart? - (CRConrad)
                         Agreed! And it's predecessor. - (a6l6e6x)
         ClearCase isn't (necessarily) the problem... - (jb4) - (3)
             They started with UCM - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 LRPD (new thread) - (deSitter)
                 20 seconds to check out... - (jb4)

Whelmed.
165 ms