IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Because that isn't what an MBA teaches
Cynical answer?

MBAs teach how to figure out which businesses are valuable, get in charge of them and get rich from taht, not how to make the business in question perform well.

The MBAs that you are complaining about, as well as George W. Bush, illustrate their effectiveness at what they were trained to do. That you don't see how effective they are merely indicates that you are looking in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New So MBA is a trained parasite
That we agree on.

.....To the future or to the past, to a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone -- to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone:
.....From the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink -- greetings!

-- George Orwell, 1984
New Yes, and this one has leached onto the whole country :-(
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New College teaches theories
and does not teach experience. While one can be book smart and know the theories, one cannot gain the experience without learning on their own what works and what does not work. Many MBAs I have seen even do not follow the theories that they learned. Almost as if they forgot everything they learned. Theories that I am just now learning have been in business for over 100 years, yet I have only seen a few managers in my entire career actually use them.

One substitute instructor told me that managers may not have the time and/or money to implement theories and thus do things the idiotic way and that I'd do the same under the same circumstances. This to me is BS, theories like postive reinforcement can be done with $0USD by just complementing the worker on a job well done when they do good. It helps them have a bit of job satsifaction when a manager says they are doing good. Plus it only takes about 15 seconds to do. Most managers I had never did that with me, and if they did I would have felt better about my job.

Edit: I know college teaches a lot more than theories, but consider that I am talking about theories not being followed here.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Expand Edited by orion Feb. 5, 2004, 02:44:08 PM EST
     Bush as CEO - (ben_tilly) - (20)
         The man is an idiot - (deSitter) - (15)
             Yeah ...Right. - (BDaye) - (13)
                 flying is reflexes and practice - (boxley)
                 Re: Yeah ...Right. - (deSitter)
                 None of those things - (jake123)
                 F-102s not F-16s - (altmann) - (2)
                     Right - (deSitter)
                     - -NT - (deSitter)
                 Actually, even most Americans didn't agree - (Simon_Jester)
                 Degrees - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                     Because that isn't what an MBA teaches - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         So MBA is a trained parasite - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Yes, and this one has leached onto the whole country :-( -NT - (ben_tilly)
                         College teaches theories - (orion)
                 I was going to point out your error about airplanes, but, .. - (mmoffitt)
             Want to know whom is an even bigger idiot? - (orion)
         HBS degree alone is not that impressive. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             I'm not surprised. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 The thing is - (jake123)
                 Re: I'm not surprised. - (deSitter)

Almost never.
48 ms