IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'll have to remember that trick
I didn't know that you could put formulas in tab-delimited files.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New OTOH, the on-the-fly opening isn't consistent. :-(
Double-clicking tab-".xls" file in the Explorer shell, Excel just opened it, no questions asked.

But selecting the same file from the File Open dialog, or the recently-used entry in the File menu, it threw up the "convert a delimited file" dialog.

Don't ask me why; *fuuuck* knows. Microsoft programming... :-(

(This is in Finnish Excel 2K on English Win 2K.)

Also, BTW, saving the file via the "original file format, yes I know it might lose some formatting, no I don't mind, YES dammit replace the old version!" option, it writes out the *results* of formulas; to get them as formulas, you have to explicitly save those from NotePad, I found.

Oh, and if you use a foreign-language version of Excel, it will protest "#NAME?" if you paste in the actual formula text from Excel -- you have to translate stuff like "=SUMMA(B1:B5)" and "=KESKIARVO(C1:C5)" into English! (Which still beats the way it was under Excel 95, when Microsoft had gone too far in localising it, so actual *real* .xls files saved formulas in local-language -- with the consequence that the file was useless when opened in an English [or any other different-language than the original] copy of Excel. :-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
You know you're doing good work when you get flamed by an idiot. -- [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/34218.html|Andrew Wittbrodt]
New My brain hurts thinking about how you know all of that...
New ICLRPD
My brain hurts thinking about how you know all of that..

Either there's just lots today, or I'm finding things abnormally humorus :)
-----
Steve
New Just a quick trial, yesterday. 5 rows typed + 8 mouse clicks
     XML - (broomberg) - (17)
         XML - (deSitter)
         You're kidding, right? - (admin) - (3)
             Whaddya mean, it's a growth industry! - (deSitter) - (2)
                 English as a 3rd language? - (broomberg) - (1)
                     No, it's a typo. - (pwhysall)
         Is the data really tabular? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Re: Is the data really tabular? - (deSitter) - (1)
                 No harm in being generous - (ben_tilly)
         Tab-delimited text file, named [whatever].XLS - (CRConrad) - (6)
             I'll have to remember that trick - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                 OTOH, the on-the-fly opening isn't consistent. :-( - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     My brain hurts thinking about how you know all of that... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         ICLRPD - (Steve Lowe)
                         Just a quick trial, yesterday. 5 rows typed + 8 mouse clicks -NT - (CRConrad)
             ICLRPD! (new thread) - (jb4)
         Thanks for the reality check - (broomberg)
         is a confidence game pushed by the web designer non-techies -NT - (tuberculosis)

What a feat!
72 ms