1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Squares
Finite Differences in reverse.
New Re: Squares
Aye - and why squares?

In the process of turning cards, we can think of the "deck" as the totality of integers, and ask what happens to any integer. Suppose the integer is prime - then the only factors are 1 and the number, so it gets turned exactly twice, and at the end, is face up. If not prime, then the number will usually have various representations M = IJ with I and J less than M and I not equal J - since there are two distinct factors, M will again be turned twice for each such representation, and at the end, will have been turned an even number of times and be face up.

There is one exception - if M is a square, then it has a representation M = JJ, and gets turned only once for this representation, so the total number of turns it undergoes is odd - and it ends up face down.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Jan. 22, 2004, 06:55:54 AM EST
     Explain this pattern - (deSitter) - (13)
         they is 14 face cards and an ace, time to double down -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Rephrase - Explain this pattern unless you're drunk -NT - (deSitter)
         /me recuses himself... -NT - (CRConrad)
         No -NT - (Silverlock)
         Sesame Street meets The Matrix. - (admin)
         pshaw aint never bin drunk at 3 in the afternoon - (boxley) - (2)
             Re: pshaw aint never bin drunk at 3 in the afternoon - (deSitter) - (1)
                 blackjack, ya maroon as in played/available -NT - (boxley)
         So what is it? -NT - (broomberg) - (4)
             No one's even gonna try? Last call -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                 Bigger pattern - and a partial explanation (supply the rest) - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Squares - (morganek) - (1)
                         Re: Squares - (deSitter)

link lrpdism
78 ms