IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Death as a theme for Owl music?
I've been meaning to post this, because I found it to be funny on our way home.

We were listening to one of my self made tapes, "Ballads for an Owl", a compilation of songs I like that I call "ballads" but granted, not all of them are ballads, but that's not the point, I put them together because they each tell some sort of story, or are part of some movie.

Anyway, as we were listening to it, my husband began to notice that almost every song had something about death, or drinking in it. LOL!

It started with American Pie, "The day the music died", then we had Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, "a bottle of white, a bottle of red", Unchained Medley, the one from Ghost where he is speaking throughout... and "he" is the dead guy, Same Old Lang Syne, where they drink in their car, Goodnight Saigon, which is all about death, The End, which is also about death, See Me, Feel Me medley from Tommy, where his parents are killed, and then it deviates a little with Everybody Wants to Rule The World, which doesn't seem to have death or drinking in it, just popcorn destroying a house. LOL! But it does have the line, "nothing ever lasts forever" in it, as John pointed out, and ends side 1 with Dead Man's Party, where everyone at the party is dead!

Side two starts with Bohemian Rhapsody, where he kills a man, and they want to kill him, then In The Year 2525, "if man is still alive", Twilight Zone, "when the bullet hits the bone" about what, a murder? Then we have Riders on The Storm, which is supposedly about spirits of Indians, who are obviously dead, and The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald, where everyone drowns, then My Heart Will Go On, with dialogue from Titanic, where Jack dies, along with many others, and then we get back to drinking with Piano Man. Then it deviates again with Pinball Wizard, and the only death connection we get there is back to Tommy, the movie, then Thunder Island, which is more about sex than death, and ends with Flash Gordon Theme from Queen, "I like to toy with things awhile, before annhiliation!"

Now I ask you, why does this tape relax me? Have I got a subconscious thing about death? LOL!

Nightowl >8#
This space left blank till Owl can change her quote.
New You've seen Lina's theorem about pop songs?
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=105770|#105770]. You seem to have found another category. ;-)

They're all good songs, but you could just as easily say you like songs by white men if you want to lump them into a category. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I have now! Hehe!
They aren't all by white men though, My Heart Will Go On, is by Celine Dion. And I don't remember, is she white? LOL!

Yep, seems that very few of mine have much to do with sex...

Thunder Island being the main exception! The version I have on here of The End, by the way, is the traditional released version without what he does to his mom!

Guess it becomes category 5? Death and drunkeness??? LOL!

Nightowl >8#

New So, those new categories would be:
1) Death - "You're fucked."
2) Drinking - "I'm fucked up."

;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New YES!!!
1) Death - "You're fucked."

2) Drinking - "I'm fucked up."

GOOD ONE, SCOTT!!!!!

Nightowl >8#
New Death as a theme means something
it means subconsciously you think about death. I can't say if this is good or bad, up to you to decide. I've been thinking about death recently as two relatives just died this week.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Problem is, there was no thinking
I simply liked the songs for all sorts of reasons, i.e. the movie they were part of, or the artist who sang them, or in the case of Bohemian Rhapsody, it was just awesome.

I never even NOTICED all these years that most of them had a theme of death. Mind you also, I fell in love with most of these songs, (other than things like Titanic's theme), YEARS ago in my suicidal phase, so maybe that had something to do with it at the time.

Now I just like the songs.

Nightowl >8#
"It is understanding that gives us an ability to have peace. When we understand the other fellow's viewpoint, and he understands ours, then we can sit down and work out our differences." Harry S. Truman

"Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude." Timothy Bentley
Expand Edited by Nightowl Jan. 7, 2004, 11:51:12 AM EST
     Death as a theme for Owl music? - (Nightowl) - (6)
         You've seen Lina's theorem about pop songs? - (Another Scott) - (3)
             I have now! Hehe! - (Nightowl)
             So, those new categories would be: - (admin) - (1)
                 YES!!! - (Nightowl)
         Death as a theme means something - (orion) - (1)
             Problem is, there was no thinking - (Nightowl)

...introduce an "if", and you're down the slippery slope. You add "for", and it's an avalanche. Then the "while" falls on you, and you're buried.
76 ms