IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Humans can remember more music than you would think
I have about 3300 in my current playlist. From the intros I recognized the first 5 I looked at in random play. The next was Diana Krall's version of 'S Wonderful which I recognized of course, but whose intro was generic enough that I didn't recognize it.

For the record, the others were Natalie Merchant's Henry Darger, Solas The Vega Set (Jigs), Lunasa Dr. Gilbert /Devils of Dublin /Black Pat's, Gordon Lightfoot Cotton Jenny and Great Big Sea Donkey Riding.

Heck, you might even like one or two of them if you tried them. (And I say this as someone who likely appreciates electric guitar less than you do.)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Point taken.
Yes, even moi recognize a touch of genius in some contemporary material, as accidentally encountered.. merely, rarely. Ditto re folk (now a most international and varied genre; it's the Irish\ufffd Era!) and jazz remains unclassifiable, as at best: it IS improv.

I have to concede that - the kinds of musical clues which jog memory - seem ~ inexhaustible. For ex. there is a ditty which NPR insists upon playing (as they more and more emulate the let-no-moment-of-Silence-happen mantra). It is clearly the same chord-run as in a Xian doxology! merely.. syncopated. (And if you listen to NPR, you've Heard It - so did you? ;-)

Guess must eat words suggesting that 25K might be Huge. Still, what memes we use for ID clearly rely upon differences.. and when those vanish, so does recognition, por moi. (Not to beat further a decayed horse - I find most guitar riffs thus, indistinguishable cut&paste)

Simon & Garfunkel a la '70s -- as noninterchangeable, maybe even indispensable as.. as Beatles IMjO. Also The Band - something undefinably Different there...

Cheers,
I.
New to around the other side
exiting a concert have a genius with several 5 gallon plastic jugs of various density, rousing banging with searing poetry. Is it music or theater? Dunno but it was worth tossing him a fiver in recognition of genius. We also have a saxaphonist who staions himself so the echoes resound thru a parking garage. It is haunting, perhaps intentionally so. I would love to get a movie director to hear this guy just once and it would be a great opener for a gritty city type drama.
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Heard similar.. trumpet, flute
Various interestingly formed stairwells, etc. ~ Berkeley (and such are all over, of course). The reverb time. Think cathedrals. You can do lots with that, but best if you start with good musicianship, command of the instrument or..

It's just fuzz, too.

BTW - I have to confess (despising overblown sax maybe even more than lectric stuff) I've heard a sax played with 'genius' - both in a concerto and free form. It's very difficult to play Well, IME.. but it's justifiably an instrument - in the hands of the very few.

Ashton, crank
New Stop waffing around.
Go and buy the album "Ace Of Spades" by Motorhead.

Now listen, and consider yourself in the presence of genius.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New OK you're on..
I'll risk it and see. At least I'll get a guess as how your neuron soup osmoses.. :-\ufffd
New Even sharper
It's very easy to pick out a given pianist that you "groove on", playing the same piece with the same dynamics and the same approach to the identical score of the very same piece. Whatever we hear, it is a lot more than notes.

And in any case, "thousands" is much smaller than it seems. Divide by 10 to get "hundreds" of albums - I'm not even a big collector of CDs and I have at least 100. I can well imagine an aficionado like Beep or Scott having 2000 or more. If I had infinite money, I could occupy weeks just shopping for music.

-drl
     iPod: a dissenting voice - (rcareaga) - (30)
         Yeah, yeah. - (admin) - (1)
             And I'm afraid... - (bepatient)
         Re: iPod: a dissenting voice - (Ashton) - (25)
             Nice stereotyping. - (admin) - (6)
                 25,000 "songs" ? - (Ashton) - (5)
                     Again, your preconceptions. - (admin) - (4)
                         Re: Again, your preconceptions. - (deSitter) - (3)
                             Approximately 1 MB per minute. - (admin) - (2)
                                 Re: Approximately 1 MB per minute. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     SD ram? - (admin)
             You are overgeneralizing - (ben_tilly)
             Well then... - (bepatient) - (16)
                 old people are annoyed by loud unexpected noise :-) - (boxley) - (3)
                     Throat singing? - (ben_tilly)
                     Good timimg - the Tuva folk are coming - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Tuva and Inuit among others -NT - (boxley)
                 Nahh.. no need. - (Ashton) - (11)
                     Now you start to see.... - (bepatient) - (3)
                         Wow, a few times a week... - (admin) - (2)
                             same album for 2 months* - (SpiceWare)
                             That sounds cool! - (static)
                     Humans can remember more music than you would think - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                         Point taken. - (Ashton) - (4)
                             to around the other side - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Heard similar.. trumpet, flute - (Ashton)
                             Stop waffing around. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 OK you're on.. - (Ashton)
                         Even sharper - (deSitter)
         Yeah yeah - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Rolling Stones, eh? - (bepatient)