2.3Ghz Pentium 4 Moble CPU.
512M of RAM.
40G hard drive.
ATI Raedon with 64M display memory.
15" LCD TFT screen.
DVD/CDRW drive.
XP Pro
Wireless G network adapter included.

Only downsize is that there is no floppy drive.

Circuit City let me charge it on their card with 0% until 2005.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New You can get a USB floppy later if you need one.
New Be very careful with that charge
Department store credit cards like to play dirty tricks. In reality, the interst may be computed from day one, and gets forgiven if you pay in full before the term expires. If you don't pay in full by 2005, you get to pay o0ver a year worth of interest at something like 16 or 22 percent. Very nasty.
--

"There's nothing more nervous than a million dollars. It does not speak French, it does not speak English, it does not speak German and it moves very fast."

-- Jean Chretien
New Re: Be very careful with that charge
I got $700 to pay off most of it. Before 2005, if I haven't paid it off, I will transfer it to a different card with a lower interest rate. This one has 19.8% Annual. :(

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Floppies are a thing of the past.
With CD-RW and multi-session CDs... who needs floppies anymore?

Sure there are places for them... but LAPTOPS? No! FLATTOPS? No, let's just say it's a bad thing.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
New Agreed
The only use is ultra-portable bootability, and if you can carry a floppy. you can probably carry a CD. Too bad you can't buy mini-CDs.
-drl
New I need a floppy
got a Team Member with an old IBM Thinkpad sans a CD drive. Only has a floppy. Newegg sells one for $30USD and Circuit City wanted $59USD for one. Guess which one I bought? :)

New Re: Floppies are a thing of the past.
Actually, I've had to use floppy disks (the smaller ones) for years in order to be able to switch between John's computer and mine. We have not attempted to network the two because of compatibility and also because of distance between machines as well as house design, the cabling would be a nightmare.

So whenever I need something from his, I save it to a floppy and run it in here and load it on mine, and vice versa.

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
New USB datakey.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Re: USB datakey.
Nope, can't use that with John's old computer, it predates those.

However, the Andrei, the newer one has a USB port, so maybe that will be an option in the future after he gets Andrei all configured for Linux. He's been working on it a couple days now... I feel like a Linux widow. Hehehe!

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

New If John's old computer...
is running Win98SE or later, you can (1) add USB to it very easily. For as little as $8 plus shipping, you can add a PCI USB 2.0 interface card to that PC, then get a USB cable and USB hub for a few dollars more and you'll be in business.

Alternatively, (2) you can get a PCI 10/100 Ethernet card for as little as $4 plus shipping, add a Ethernet switch for as little as $15 (or spend as little as $29 instead to get a combination switch/router to allow you to share your internet connection), and add some ethernet cable for as little as $3 each, and you can thus share peripherals/drives/files/printers between your various PCs. This stuff is very easy to set up and should be required of anyone using Linux ;-).

These prices are from [link|http://www.newegg.com|http://www.newegg.com] and are not extraordinarily cheap these days. I wouldn't recommend buying the absolutely cheapest parts, but there may be nothing wrong with them. Newegg offers good service, so if you have problems I'm sure they'll take the items back.

If you're running Win98SE or later, it should be very simple to set up either option - I'd recommend #2 myself. If you're not, then it may be time to have Santa investigate a newer machine on ebay or your local thrift store.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: If John's old computer...
John's old computer has been running 3.11. Hence his attempt to turn my old Celeron 400 into a Linux box to use. :)

Thanks for the info though.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: added type of computer

Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 13, 2003, 10:17:16 AM EST
New What's John's time worth (to him and you)?
A modern Linux is going to be slow on a Celeron 400. And how does putting Linux on it solve the original problem (moving data between PCs)?

Getting back to an earlier post: If you don't want to run Ethernet cable through your house, you can get a 802.11b "wireless bridge" to allow you to wirelessly network. There are similar boxes that work with the power lines in your home.

You can get a much more modern PC from ebay for as little as $50 - e.g. [link|http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2773003978&category=51121|here] - in various states (e.g. with/without hard drives). You might want to consider something like that.

But honestly, if you don't have the money to spend and are happy with your sneakernet then don't worry about it. I'm just pointing out that there are relatively inexpensive technological solutions that are easy to implement that will let your PCs join the 1990s. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, at least we don't have to share mine. ;)
A modern Linux is going to be slow on a Celeron 400. And how does putting Linux on it solve the original problem (moving data between PCs)?

Edit: Well, the original problem wasn't moving data really, but having to share my computer so much. His old one wouldn't allow him to get online, only do basic email, and not even Yahoo email. If he can get his to let him read groups, do email and search the net, he won't need mine as much. :) Plus, if he can do better email on the Linux box, he could probably email me whatever file I needed from his to mine, right?

He realizes that it will be slow, but things will still be better than when he was using the Pentium 60. He is at least able to access the internet better on the Linux computer and not have to borrow mine all the time. ;)

Getting back to an earlier post: If you don't want to run Ethernet cable through your house, you can get a 802.11b "wireless bridge" to allow you to wirelessly network. There are similar boxes that work with the power lines in your home.

Hmm, I didn't know that option existed. But it isn't a really big deal, I only have to transfer data from his computer if I a) accidentally delete my copy of his mail or something, (which he saves on his), or b) need a REALLY old file from 3.11 So using the floppy isn't a big deal for the few times a year it's needed.

You can get a much more modern PC from ebay for as little as $50 - e.g. [link|http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2773003978&category=51121|here] - in various states (e.g. with/without hard drives). You might want to consider something like that.

His problem is, he wants a really GOOD computer, not just something to work better, but right now we can't afford a really good one because he built mine and is still paying for it. But someday soon, when we're more out of debt, he wants a really good modern machine, trust me.

Meanwhile, Andrei was sitting around doing nothing, and even the 400 Celeron is better than the Pentium 60, so he figured why not use it. :)

But honestly, if you don't have the money to spend and are happy with your sneakernet then don't worry about it. I'm just pointing out that there are relatively inexpensive technological solutions that are easy to implement that will let your PCs join the 1990s. :-)

Thanks and if we had the money, trust me, I'd make him get one, but we don't. Sometimes I feel guilty because I have the best computer in the house... but he says I use it more than he does, and he's right, plus he can borrow it when he wants on.

Thanks for the info though, we'll keep it in mind if it ever gets to a point where we really need to network. :)

Edit: I just talked to John, and he said he knows about wireless connections, but isn't real happy about them because they are not as secure as wire ones. Apparently people can hook in and use your connection or see what you are doing.

But like I said, we don't need to network often, so so far the disk option works whenever we do. :) He also said it isn't running slow for him at all, it's running fine... so hey, as long as he's happy! ;)

Nightowl >8#

Edit: changed title and added part about talking to John
Edit: added solving the original problem line

Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 13, 2003, 11:50:34 AM EST
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 13, 2003, 11:50:52 AM EST
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 13, 2003, 11:54:02 AM EST
Expand Edited by Nightowl Dec. 13, 2003, 11:54:06 AM EST
New Null modem cable
Costs ~$2.50 and and is, AFAIK, the absolute cheapest way to connect two boxen.

[link|http://www.vision.net.au/~timotsc/null/nullmodem.htm|Try] [link|http://www.loop-back.com/null-mod.html|these] [link|http://www.nullmodem.com/NullModem.htm|links] for [link|http://www.qualitycables.com/Null_modem_cables.html|info].
-----------------------------------------
Democracy is not a spectator sport.
New Priced wireless Ethernet?
If money is an issue, then getting a Wireless hub and adapters would not be an option for them. Besides a driver for Windows 3.11 would have to be used, and I am not sure if any vendor still supports Windows 3.11 with modern drivers.

Sneakernet is cheaper, and if the files are less than 1.44M it should work fine. Otherwise use PKZip for DOS with the spanning option to span the disks for larger files. That is what I used to do.

IIRC there are Zip drives that use Parallel ports that have DOS and Windows 3.11 drivers. EPC sells used ones really cheap. You can use it for files up to 100M in size.

New Yep
John said it was pretty expensive, because you had to have all kinds of equipment to run it, AND still it wasn't secure.

I never need to move a file bigger than a disk, or at least so far, I've never needed to, so floppies do the trick fine. :)

Nightowl >8#

New Wireless can be reasonably secure.
E.g. My DLink DWL-810+ Wireless Bridge and my Linksys WAP both use 128-bit encryption (the same bitness as most browsers use on https web pages). Our Powerbook G4 connects to the wireless network using the 128-bit encryption. I've never had a problem with the connection being hijacked, etc. If you don't use encryption, then yes the network isn't secure. And yes, wired connections are more secure. [link|http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm|This] page has some pointers on wireless network security. Since my access to the internet is by a 28k modem, I'm not that concerned. ;-)

The DWL-810+ is $62 at newegg. I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point with a built-in 4 port switch (BEFW11S4) that is $61 at newegg. It's not that expensive, but if you don't have the money (or don't want to spend it) then it doesn't really matter how much it costs. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks, Scott. :)
Like I said, we'll keep it in mind for if it becomes a bigger issue. :) For the time being, it isn't a big enough need to warrant any major changes. I only need to do it if I screw up and lose my mail, or something else rare.

I was just commenting on the thread that no one uses floppy disks anymore, wasn't entirely true, because I do. ;)

Nightowl >8#

$700USD Laptops - (orion) - (27)
         Re: $700USD Laptops - (deSitter) - (1)
             Asking the wife for money - (orion)
         Gateway deal - (Steve Lowe) - (19)
             I bought a Compaq for $999.99 - (orion) - (18)
                 You can get a USB floppy later if you need one. -NT - (hnick)
                 Be very careful with that charge - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                     Re: Be very careful with that charge - (orion)
                 Floppies are a thing of the past. - (folkert) - (14)
                     Agreed - (deSitter)
                     I need a floppy - (orion)
                     Re: Floppies are a thing of the past. - (Nightowl) - (11)
                         USB datakey. -NT - (pwhysall) - (10)
                             Re: USB datakey. - (Nightowl) - (9)
                                 If John's old computer... - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                     Re: If John's old computer... - (Nightowl) - (7)
                                         What's John's time worth (to him and you)? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                             Well, at least we don't have to share mine. ;) - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                 Null modem cable - (Silverlock)
                                             Priced wireless Ethernet? - (orion) - (3)
                                                 Yep - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                     Wireless can be reasonably secure. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         Thanks, Scott. :) - (Nightowl)
         Re: $700USD Laptops - (bepatient) - (1)
             Blank page - (orion)
         Get an iBook - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Too late - (orion)
             Getting one! - (pwhysall)

Mmmmmm. Gouda!
79 ms