IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Thane versus wharris2
1.e4 c5
2.b3

Actually, let's refrain from commentary until the match is over, okay? Please, no kibbitzing.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Kibitz, kibitz, kibitz...
And already at the second move, Inthane disregards the opening books! Casts theory to the winds! And plays the highly unconventional 2.b3!

WHAT is his plan?

WHAT will we see next in this exciting game?

STAY TUNED...

(Am I annoying yet?)

/duck
Ben

PS Sorry, no more kibitzing. It is just that after your request, I couldn't resist doing it just once as a joke. And you will note that I did no discussing of actual potential moves.
New Noncommital move
1.e4 c5
2.b3!?!? Nc6
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New Somehow, I might be in a spot of trouble...
"Know your enemy," my instructor always said... And now I may pay the price for not knowing my enemy.

1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Re: Somehow, I might be in a spot of trouble...
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3

Sorry, for various personal reasons (home computer monitor blew out, DO NOT BUY CTX!) didn't get around to posting this move yesterday.
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3 Nge7
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it.
-- Donald Knuth
New Blech
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3 Nge7
5.Bc4
New Move 5
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3 Nge7
5.Bc4 d6
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Re: Move 5
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3 Nge7
5.Bc4 d6
6.Nf3
New Re: Move 5
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3 Nge7
5.Bc4 d6
6.Nf3 g6
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 7
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3 Nge7
5.Bc4 d6
6.Nf3 g6
7.Nd5
New Re: Move 7
1.e4 c5
2.b3 Nc6
3.Bb2 e5
4.Nc3 Nge7
5.Bc4 d6
6.Nf3 g6
7.Nd5 Nxd5
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 8
1. e4 c5
2. b3 Nc6
3. Bb2 e5
4. Nc3 Nge7
5. Bc4 d6
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5
New Re: Move 8
1. e4 c5
2. b3 Nc6
3. Bb2 e5
4. Nc3 Nge7
5. Bc4 d6
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 9
1. e4 c5
2. b3 Nc6
3. Bb2 e5
4. Nc3 Nge7
5. Bc4 d6
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
9. c3

As a sideline, I explored 9. Bb5+, but didn't like where it took me - unless you were acting REALLY weird, we would have exchanged bishops, then you'd have a lock on the center outright.
New Re: Move 9 (and a minor dang)
I wish I'd kept track of a chess recording program I had back when I was more active in postal and OTB play. The thing did almost nothing except record and display moves, very few bells and whistles - but it did what it did very well. In that era of Windows 3.1 software, I don't think I ever had it crash.

1. e4 c5
2. b3 Nc6
3. Bb2 e5
4. Nc3 Nge7
5. Bc4 d6
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
9. c3 Bg7

Presumably the intent of c3 is d4 or b4.
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 10
1. e4 c5
2. b3 Nc6
3. Bb2 e5
4. Nc3 Nge7
5. Bc4 d6
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
9. c3 Bg7
10.h3
New Re: Move 10
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
9. c3 Bg7
10.h3 f5

OK. As if I were going to g4 with my bishop in the first place. I suppose your knight is doing anything? Oh it might invade e6, but I'll get that tiny pawn and grab everything left of the center.
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 11
Less talk, more chess. ^_^

6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
9. c3 Bg7
10.h3 f5
11.d4
New Move 11b
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
9. c3 Bg7
10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4

Part of the theory is to distract you.
"Why must I lose to this fool?" (after dumping the chessboard) - Aaron Nimzovich
New Move 12
6. Nf3 g6
7. Nd5 Nxd5
8. exd5 Ne7
9. c3 Bg7
10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4
12.cxd4

Theory? I'm just randomly moving pieces. ^_^
New Re: Move 12
10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4
12.cxd4 e4

Theory? I'm just randomly moving pieces. ^_^

Oh that makes me feel much better.
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 13
10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5
New Re: Move 13 (hook, line, sinker)
10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 14 (I don't get it.)
10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
14.Bxd5

Either a) you have some super secret plan to take over the world or b) just dropped a Kuh-nigit for a pawn.

I'm betting on a, but I don't see it...
New Re: Move 14 (Nothing super-secret)
10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
14.Bxd5 Qa5+

(I could also have done Qxg5, but I prefer to remove your bishop.)
-- Donald Knuth
Expand Edited by wharris2 Nov. 16, 2001, 10:17:12 PM EST
New Move 15
I always did fall prone to stuff like that...

10.h3 f5
11.d4 cxd4
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
14.Bxd5 Qa5+
15.Qd2

One side note, which I am not blaming for my play, I noticed that somehow I've been misentering the moves into WinBoard, which is reporting a false position right now. My fault entirely, especially because I should have noticed the "invalid move" comments that showed up a few times... User error. ^_^
New Re: Move 15
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
14.Bxd5 Qa5+
15.Qd2 Qxd5

Been the victim of mis-recorded stuff myself.
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 16
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
14.Bxd5 Qa5+
15.Qd2 Qxd5
16.0-0

Yeah, but I should have noticed it when a piece I moved the previous round wasn't where I had moved it... ^_^'
New Re: Move 16
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
14.Bxd5 Qa5+
15.Qd2 Qxd5
16.0-0 h6

Apologies, but it looks like you are in serious doo.
-- Donald Knuth
New Move 17: More from the book of "Duh!"
12.cxd4 e4
13.Ng5 Nxd5
14.Bxd5 Qa5+
15.Qd2 Qxd5
16.0-0 h6
17.Nxe4

Well, yeah, I knew THAT already. :)
New Re: Move 17: More from the book of "Duh!"
14.Bxd5 Qa5+
15.Qd2 Qxd5
16.0-0 h6
17.Nxe4 fxe4

One thing I am disliking about Winboard is its desire to replay the game from the beginning, rather than letting me go to move "x".

Or is that what "edit game" vs. "edit position" does? (I haven't used Winboard much, still wish I had that olden golden game recorder I remember from way back when.)
-- Donald Knuth
New !?!? LOL--We need an impartial commentator :D
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New It has been played by better than wharris
OTOH so has the grob. :-)

But still it is a opening with some good points. The position is solid with nothing obviously wrong. You quickly leave the tactical opening traps of the Sicilian, which wharris undoubtably knows very well.

Of course it is not as strong as the traditional variations. Unorthodox openings tend to be unorthodox for a reason. And somehow I doubt that wharris will have trouble with it.

But it isn't a horrible mistake either.

Cheers,
Ben
New But I'm sure it's been played by far worse, too... ^_^'
New No worse than Kasparov vs. Deeper Blue
Kasparov deliberately played some peculiar openings to get out of Deeper Blue's opening book, for the most part with success. (The main reason he lost that match was because he resigned the first game in a drawn position and played a "standard" opening in the 6th. :=)
-- Donald Knuth
     Thane versus... - (inthane-chan) - (73)
         Re: Thane versus... - (wharris2) - (37)
             Re: Thane versus wharris2 - (inthane-chan) - (36)
                 Kibitz, kibitz, kibitz... - (ben_tilly)
                 Noncommital move - (wharris2) - (34)
                     Somehow, I might be in a spot of trouble... - (inthane-chan) - (29)
                         Re: Somehow, I might be in a spot of trouble... - (wharris2) - (28)
                             Re: Somehow, I might be in a spot of trouble... - (inthane-chan) - (27)
                                 Re: Somehow, I might be in a spot of trouble... - (wharris2) - (26)
                                     Blech - (inthane-chan) - (25)
                                         Move 5 - (wharris2) - (24)
                                             Re: Move 5 - (inthane-chan) - (23)
                                                 Re: Move 5 - (wharris2) - (22)
                                                     Move 7 - (inthane-chan) - (21)
                                                         Re: Move 7 - (wharris2) - (20)
                                                             Move 8 - (inthane-chan) - (19)
                                                                 Re: Move 8 - (wharris2) - (18)
                                                                     Move 9 - (inthane-chan) - (17)
                                                                         Re: Move 9 (and a minor dang) - (wharris2) - (16)
                                                                             Move 10 - (inthane-chan) - (15)
                                                                                 Re: Move 10 - (wharris2) - (14)
                                                                                     Move 11 - (inthane-chan) - (13)
                                                                                         Move 11b - (wharris2) - (12)
                                                                                             Move 12 - (inthane-chan) - (11)
                                                                                                 Re: Move 12 - (wharris2) - (10)
                                                                                                     Move 13 - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                                                                                                         Re: Move 13 (hook, line, sinker) - (wharris2) - (8)
                                                                                                             Move 14 (I don't get it.) - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                                                                                                                 Re: Move 14 (Nothing super-secret) - (wharris2) - (6)
                                                                                                                     Move 15 - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                                                                                                         Re: Move 15 - (wharris2) - (4)
                                                                                                                             Move 16 - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                                                                                                                 Re: Move 16 - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                                                                                     Move 17: More from the book of "Duh!" - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Re: Move 17: More from the book of "Duh!" - (wharris2)
                     !?!? LOL--We need an impartial commentator :D -NT - (tseliot) - (3)
                         It has been played by better than wharris - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             But I'm sure it's been played by far worse, too... ^_^' -NT - (inthane-chan)
                             No worse than Kasparov vs. Deeper Blue - (wharris2)
         Thane versus... THE WORLD! - (tseliot) - (34)
             Re: Thane versus... THE WORLD! - (inthane-chan) - (33)
                 Well, DUH! - (tseliot) - (32)
                     Take off - (pwhysall)
                     lol - (inthane-chan) - (30)
                         Ah, Tarrasch... - (tseliot) - (29)
                             Chiding - (wharris2) - (1)
                                 Nah. Not after the comment about multiply branching games :) -NT - (tseliot)
                             On second thought - (wharris2)
                             Hope I remember this... - (inthane-chan) - (25)
                                 Remember...? Been a while? - (tseliot) - (24)
                                     Re: Remember...? Been a while? - (inthane-chan) - (23)
                                         Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: - (tseliot) - (22)
                                             Foobie - (inthane-chan) - (21)
                                                 Slash and burn - (tseliot) - (20)
                                                     I know exactly what you mean. - (inthane-chan) - (19)
                                                         Or is that "burn, baby, burn"? - (tseliot) - (18)
                                                             Disco Inferno! - (inthane-chan) - (17)
                                                                 Door's open, c'mon in! - (tseliot) - (16)
                                                                     "No I can't go out to play..." - (inthane-chan) - (15)
                                                                         Yeah that is odd, puttin all your defense on White like that - (tseliot) - (14)
                                                                             Guess I wasn't clear enough. - (inthane-chan) - (13)
                                                                                 Yer makin me do things I dont want to do :( - (tseliot) - (12)
                                                                                     No, really? - (inthane-chan) - (11)
                                                                                         I got impatient, it seems. Hard to do this at work. :) - (tseliot) - (10)
                                                                                             I know, I know. - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                                                                                                 You'll like this one - (tseliot) - (8)
                                                                                                     Two branches of play. - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                                     Secondary branch - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                                     Sorry, thane. Long cpl of days. I'll come back in a day or 2 -NT - (tseliot) - (5)
                                                                                                         No probs. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                                                                                                             Re: No probs. - (wharris2)
                                                                                                             Gonna hafta concede. - (tseliot) - (2)
                                                                                                                 Heh. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Region - (tseliot)

IFKK
309 ms