IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay, defenders of IBM. 'Splain this to me.
We've got an IBM partner who installed IBM DB2 UDB v8.1 on a Redhat box for a web app for us. I noticed that in their database there were no stored procedures, no DRI, no check constraints, no triggers, etc. They did have composite character primary keys, however. So, in my extention of functionality to the app, I'm writing a couple of simple stored procedures in the same database. I create them in every fucking way imaginable, save them, but I cannot "build" (compile) them. I get this error, so I check with the "IBM Partner" goobers and they don't have a clue. I google, find some foo about "add the user to this group and that group, etc." No luck. Then after searching for several hours I see a service pack ("Fixpack" in Big Blue language) that addresses a similar, though not the same, bug. I put that fixpack on and voila - the sp's compile. My bug is fixed by this "fixpack" BUT NOT DOC'D as fixed. AND NO ONE ELSE THAT I COULD FIND ENCOUNTERED THIS PROBLEM.

Now, what I'd like some one to explain to me is HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY CAN ANY FUCKING COMPANY RELEASE TO PRODUCTION A GODDAMNED DATABASE SERVER PRODUCT THAT WON'T EVEN COMPILE STORED PROCEDURES? HOW THE HELL DID THAT GET OUT OF BETA? NO ONE AT IBM KNOWS HOW TO BUILD AN SQL STORED PROCEDURE WITH THEIR OWN FUCKING PRODUCT???? NOBODY THAT USES THIS POS DATABASE ENGINE USES STORED PROCEDURES? WTF!

Now I'm left wondering what else is fucked up with this product. Jesus H. Christ! IBM ships their shit WITH CORE FUNCTIONALITY NOT WORKING.

This is even dumber than MSFT shipping Sql 7 with the "or" optimizer truncating where clauses of ad hoc queries.
bcnu,
Mikem

Java, Junk. Both start with a "J", both have four letters. Coincidence? I think not.
New You're at BIM.COM, you asshole
"Fixpack"? That's an APAR, son.

(Authorized Program Analysis Report)

[edit: gratuitous flaming added for locational context]
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Nov. 21, 2003, 12:12:38 PM EST
New Defenders? ROFL
IBM? Nobody who has worked with them is going to defend them. They are Morgoth to Microsoft's Sauron.

They can make good products, but. Well, you know.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New IBM's motto
"If it complies, ship it." :)

Their secondary motto is:

"Don't worry about bugs, we can fix that in later releases."

Their third motto is:

"We make money from Tech Support, so a bug in a core feature is acceptable to us."
:)

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New It's the fucking New IBM!
They have done the "paradigm shift" thing to be like all the other software vendors. Being competitive and all.

The dinosaur IBM I worked for would never pulled the shit you've seen.
Alex

"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves." -- Eric Hoffer
New I suspect that's so - as it is in all things.
That's what we get for not strangling the fucking Nintendo generation while they were asleep in their goddamned cribs! These fuckers (<= 39 years of age) should never have been allowed to reach maturity!
bcnu,
Mikem

Java, Junk. Both start with a "J", both have four letters. Coincidence? I think not.
New They (we) haven't
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New :-D
bcnu,
Mikem

New An IBM old-timer
in the Montreal office told me that the 'generational shift had happened' a couple of years ago.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Okay, defenders of IBM. 'Splain this to me. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
         You're at BIM.COM, you asshole - (deSitter)
         Defenders? ROFL - (imric)
         IBM's motto - (orion)
         It's the fucking New IBM! - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             I suspect that's so - as it is in all things. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 They (we) haven't -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                     :-D -NT - (mmoffitt)
             An IBM old-timer - (jake123)

As Ashton noted, it's a good one.
152 ms