IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm amazed
Teddy Roosevelt remains among my fave presidents.

He was the first conservationist - establishing the national park system. He was also a noted ornithologist.

He ordered 45 separate anti trust suits. His intervention in the 1902 anthracite coal strike forced the mine operators into arbitration and averted what would have likely been a violent strike breaking campaign. He established regulatory authority over a number of industries and championed pro-citizen initiatives like the Meat Inspection Act and the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

I'd like to see another president like him. Yes he came from a wealthy family. But he was a model progressive (something else you don't find anymore - no idealism among the wealty - only a sense of entitlement).

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

-- Martin Fowler, JAOO 2003
New All a show
Yes, I'll admit the conservation aspect, although that was in the air in any case, and later administrations made it real.

To my way of thinking, he was the Clinton of his day - taking advantage of trends to further his ambition.

Mostly I despise him for portraying himself as a populist, when in fact he was a shameless, shallow elitist and opportunist - setting the standard for the Republicans who followed him. His vilification of Wilson in a critical time, a truly great man, is his greatest and most revealing sin.
-drl
New Can't be - he wrote something like 30 books
Many naturalist/adventure travel. Only a handful had anything to do with government. You don't produce that kind of output when you're faking it.

Clinton wrote - what 2-3 books total?

Incidentally - my opinion of Kennedy about matches your opinion of Roosevelt. He was a scam artist and a womanizer - much closer to Clinton than TR.

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Nov. 21, 2003, 10:35:18 AM EST
New A Contemporary Portrait
[link|http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/espada/masters.htm|http://www.english.u...spada/masters.htm]

The style is turgid, but the observations are right on the money.
-drl
New No Facts
Not a one. He makes endless assertions as to TR's character while failing to illustrate what he means with a single factual act. I'd be open minded if there were something along the lines of:

He betrays (some ideal attributed to him) when he does (something he actually did).

Tossing around a bunch of comparisons to toga wearing dead guys without any factual context isn't ringing any bells here.

The Worst President in American History? - (inthane-chan) - (22)
         Worse than Taft? Shocking! -NT - (orion)
         Until now, Andrew Johnson - (deSitter) - (15)
             Andrew Jackson is on the $20 bill? - (orion) - (2)
                 He gets better looking on each new 20 - (deSitter) - (1)
                     They must be giving him facelifts for each new bill - (orion)
             LBJ got the Civil Rights Act passed - (ChrisR) - (4)
                 Civil Rights was Bobby Kennedy - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Unfortunately I don't have time - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Great! Don't waste a vacation by all means -NT - (deSitter)
                     LBJ and Bobby Kenedy and JFK - (orion)
             I'm amazed - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                 All a show - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Can't be - he wrote something like 30 books - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         A Contemporary Portrait - (deSitter) - (1)
                             No Facts - (tuberculosis)
             Re: Until now, Andrew Johnson - (deSitter)
             Dam different list than mine - (boxley)
         Amazing... - (gdaustin) - (4)
             Not to keep on beating a dead horse but.... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 On my Christmas List - (gdaustin)
             You wanna know about these things? - (bepatient) - (1)
                 damn I wish I could bookmark this post (new thread) - (deSitter)

Got LRPD?
50 ms