IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New #%&(^($*&^(#%& AMERON UE!
Owls are STEAMED!

I had a power failure today, which makes TWO in ONE week, so far. Both occurred at the same approximate time, and lasted approximately one hour and a half. Both affected ONLY my neighborhood, but Tuesday's affected ten people and today's affected twenty.

OMIGOSH it's SPREADING!!!!!

And the part I'm most steamed about was I was drafting a very complex email to someone and had about gotten halfway through when....... well, you know the drill.

AUUUUUUGH! NOW I HAVE TO START ALLLLLLL OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

(deep breath).... at least I learned on Tuesday night how to reset all the nutty things that need resetting after one of these....

Anyway..... that's why I wasn't here this afternoon.

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl
New For one thing, get a fricken UPS!
At least that gives you time to have a clean shutdown.
Alex

"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." - Henry Kissinger
New Re: For one thing, get a fricken UPS!
Uhhh what's a UPS?

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl
New Uninterruptible Power Supply
Big rechargeable battery you plug into the wall, plug your computer, monitor and peripherals into the UPS. If power goes out, UPS starts beeping, you've got about 20 min to shut down.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Re: Uninterruptible Power Supply
Big rechargeable battery you plug into the wall, plug your computer, monitor and peripherals into the UPS. If power goes out, UPS starts beeping, you've got about 20 min to shut down.

Ahhh.

If this keeps up, I'll bug John about one. Unless they are outrageously expensive.

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

P.S. I'm also gonna ask for a BATTERY POWERED LAMP!

Edit: added P.S.

Comment by Nightowl
Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 14, 2003, 03:56:41 PM EST
New Price depends on how much energy (KWh) you need stored...
and the brand you get. (KWh - kilowatt hours.)

You should be able to get one for less than $100 and maybe even less that $50 if you need just a few minutes of UP time.

Duke Power, here in the Carolinas is notorious for short (i.e. a second or two blips) so I use individual UPS boxes for the PCs and even a small UPS for the cable modem and firewall router.
Alex

"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." - Henry Kissinger
New Follow up
You should be able to get one for less than $100 and maybe even less that $50 if you need just a few minutes of UP time.

Thanks for that information :) I talked with John about it, but unless the power outages become more and more frequent, he says we really don't need one right now.

Besides, I'd rather him build his new computer so he can stop using his Pentium 60. ;) And that will be expensive enough.

At least he bought me a rechargeable battery lamp so that if the power goes out anymore, I can at least get some things DONE and not sit in the dark!!! I'm sorry I flipped out in here about it, but I only have three weeks before his vacation starts and around 4 weeks (give or take a day) before we leave for our NM trip, so I'm trying to get everything done on time! (Preparation, pre-mailing Christmas cards, Christmas shopping, etc etc etc).

Thanks for the information though, and I'll certainly keep it in mind. ;) Hey, maybe I can put it on my Christmas list!

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
New ObSpookyLRPD: "Power has been restored."
Damn, Scott, how *does* it do that???
New ObSpookier: "The LRPD is never wrong."
-drl
New "Certainly, as long as they don't require any treatment."
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New BASICA required
Oh well. GOTO 10.
-drl
New "It looks like food."
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Input past end error
IBM BIOS not found, terminating BASICA.

Try GWBASIC or QBASIC instead. :)

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New We intend to respond to this matter proactively
-drl
New Used USPs
Visit this store:
[link|http://www.epcusa.com/|http://www.epcusa.com/]

Last time I was there, they had used UPSs. Get an APC one, they are quite good. Call them for directions, I think they are in St. Charles.

Also they seem to stock those twisty IDE and Floppy cables you were looking for. They had a whole bin of different cables at bargain rates.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Used USPs
Thanks Norman, I'll keep it in mind. :)

Nightowl >8#

New Finally got two UPSes
After the big blackout of 2003. I was seriously thinking about it the first time the power went out (was working from home at the time) and when it went out again in the next day or two I declared it was time to get two UPSes, one for my main computer and one for my Internet gateway/firewall computer. Surprise, surprise! There hasn't been a power outage since. And there won't be for the next three years until when the batteries are close to death. Damn you Murphy! *shakes fist*
lister
New Re: Finally got two UPSes
I hear you, Lister. That's kind what John said. When we get one, the power will just stay on. ;)

Nightowl >8#

New Startt a collection from your neighbors
Do they want to avoid blackouts, or what?
--

The rich, as usual, are employing the elected.
-- [link|http://unfit2print.blogspot.com/|http://unfit2print.blogspot.com/]
New Re: Startt a collection from your neighbors
I'm a little confused, what would collecting money from my neighbors do about the power going off? It isn't my computer or house causing it that I'm aware of.

Nightowl >8#

New They collect money,
you buy UPS, and the power stays on due to Murphy's law. Simple.
--

The rich, as usual, are employing the elected.
-- [link|http://unfit2print.blogspot.com/|http://unfit2print.blogspot.com/]
New Re: They collect money,
you buy UPS, and the power stays on due to Murphy's law. Simple.

Ah. I get it, it's sarcasm! ;)

Well, we priced some but we aren't in the market for any right now. And most of my neighbors are elderly and not people I would ever ask for money.

Nightowl >8#

New Does not sound like a good place for Trick or Treaters
Elderly people usually turn off their porch lights and stay in with the lights off to avoid the kids looking for treats. They do this because they cannot afford to give out candy. Other people are doing this now as well. For Halloween the group we were in had to drive a car to different neighborhoods because most of the houses in our neighborhood didn't give out candy. Mostly elderly or poor people. North County has a lot of Elderly or Poor people living in houses here for some reason.

New Re: Does not sound like a good place for Trick or Treaters
Elderly people usually turn off their porch lights and stay in with the lights off to avoid the kids looking for treats. They do this because they cannot afford to give out candy. Other people are doing this now as well. For Halloween the group we were in had to drive a car to different neighborhoods because most of the houses in our neighborhood didn't give out candy. Mostly elderly or poor people. North County has a lot of Elderly or Poor people living in houses here for some reason.

Well, we had a few trick or treaters, and not everyone on the block is elderly, just the main few surrounding my house... except for maybe the guys with the dobermans... We seem to have pretty good trick or treat traffic as a rule, this year was kinda slow though.

Nightowl >8#

#%&(^($*&^(#%& AMERON UE! - (Nightowl) - (23)
         For one thing, get a fricken UPS! - (a6l6e6x) - (14)
             Re: For one thing, get a fricken UPS! - (Nightowl) - (13)
                 Uninterruptible Power Supply - (drewk) - (12)
                     Re: Uninterruptible Power Supply - (Nightowl) - (11)
                         Price depends on how much energy (KWh) you need stored... - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
                             Follow up - (Nightowl)
                             ObSpookyLRPD: "Power has been restored." -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                 ObSpookier: "The LRPD is never wrong." -NT - (deSitter) - (5)
                                     "Certainly, as long as they don't require any treatment." -NT - (admin) - (4)
                                         BASICA required - (deSitter) - (3)
                                             "It looks like food." -NT - (admin)
                                             Input past end error - (orion) - (1)
                                                 We intend to respond to this matter proactively -NT - (deSitter)
                         Used USPs - (orion) - (1)
                             Re: Used USPs - (Nightowl)
         Finally got two UPSes - (lister) - (7)
             Re: Finally got two UPSes - (Nightowl) - (6)
                 Startt a collection from your neighbors - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                     Re: Startt a collection from your neighbors - (Nightowl) - (4)
                         They collect money, - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                             Re: They collect money, - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                 Does not sound like a good place for Trick or Treaters - (orion) - (1)
                                     Re: Does not sound like a good place for Trick or Treaters - (Nightowl)

Fire up all the primary engines.
371 ms