IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New EZboard Archives? (Hey Static?)
I discovered that you were archiving the EZboard forums sometime in 2001, can you point me to the link to take me to those archives?

Thanks!

Nightowl >8#
"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum"

Comment by Nightowl
New I never really finished.
And it's not in any state to view on the web, I'm afraid. I got a fright from my ISP bill after I got what I got. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Re: I never really finished.
And it's not in any state to view on the web, I'm afraid. I got a fright from my ISP bill after I got what I got. :-)

No problem then, I'll just keep researching. :)

"I've "fished" dese ol' archives before and I'll fish em' again!"

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New What are you searching for?
I'm assuming you're looking at the IWETHEY EZBoard?
New Re: What are you searching for?
Elsewhere in this forum, Folkert challenged me to discover what the GRR was and what it's significance is. :) I've discovered the first, now I'm searching out the latter.

(The thread starts as: "Okay what's an Obligatory LRPD" It's really a funny thread, my husband laughed after reading it).

Folkert said I was warm, with my explanation, and I discovered the original conversation was on the EZ board for iwethey, (from a post in here), but all attempts to search the EZboard site claim it's down.

"a fishin we will go......"

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 14, 2003, 10:23:23 AM EST
New Probably goes back farther than that
I remember the lengthy discussions on the GRR on EZBoard. But I'm thinking that GRR was a subject of discussion back on the original Infoworld forums. Karsten put up a copy of the orig IWE forums somewhere (which brings us back in a circular form of logic).
New Re: Probably goes back farther than that
I remember the lengthy discussions on the GRR on EZBoard. But I'm thinking that GRR was a subject of discussion back on the original Infoworld forums. Karsten put up a copy of the orig IWE forums somewhere (which brings us back in a circular form of logic).

Well, I searched the following last night (to the best of my know how so far)

1)Here in these archives
2)Twiki Iwethey, but found no archives or reference
3)Slashdot.com but found no reference
4)EZ board but the site is down
5)Static's site but couldn't figure out how to generate a search
6)Infoworld site but also couldn't figure out how to locate where to search
and 7) Googled all kinds of terms. :)

Best info I've gotten so far has either been from posts by Ashton or posts by Conrad, also a few random posts here and there have given me a lot of clues.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New It was a discussion back on Infoworld
And I was the culprit. So I should remember.

It stands for a device which general relativity predicts should allow time travel back to when the device was made. The device in question is rather beyond our current ability to create though, so at most it allows people in our far future to get back to our future.

I heard about it in discussion with an old math professor of mine, Dr. Gary G. Miller.

I'll let you puzzle over the particulars of what this device might be and why it would be called GRR until you either give up and ask or else find it on your own.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: It was a discussion back on Infoworld
I'll let you puzzle over the particulars of what this device might be and why it would be called GRR until you either give up and ask or else find it on your own.

Well, Greg had challenged me to find out a) what it was and b) what it's significance to iwethey was and why all knowledge was derived from it, in another thread in this forum entitled "What is an Obligatory LRPD?"

Apparently I succeeded, because he welcomed me as a new acolyte, although I never quite knew which answer was right, (I'd made several guesses in the thread).

It was instead a response to Chris that seemed to do the trick. ;)

Nightowl >8#

"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl
New Time travel has always facinated me
I never knew what a GRR was, I must have missed that thread. Still give me a TARDIS any day, telepathic interface, time and space and relative dimensions. I might even take it for a spin into E-Space. :) Plus it can look like anything if the Chameleon circuit is not broken.

I always felt that there was a link to time travel between gravity and speed/velocity. In high school I took Physics and got an A out of it and wrote some time travel equasions based on existing equasions for gravity, speed, and other factors. Too bad I lost it and forgot what I had written down. There was a square root involved because I also used E=MC^2, so it could go forward or backward in time, but I had no idea how to control that.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New I'm sure that it was wrong
Highschool physics won't go beyond special relativity, within which you can't get time travel. It does give you enough to play with to confuse yourself into thinking that you found something that you didn't, and I did that to myself a few times in highschool as well.

For enough physics to really understand the detailed predictions of time travel, you have to go a lot farther than that.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New It may have been wrong
but it was fun trying to figure it out. We had a motto in our class, "Phsyics is Phun":)

Of course in order for time travel to work, we need to have the ability to move in space as well as time. This is because the universe is moving and where the Earth was say 100 years ago, could be empty or or have something else there. The TARDIS took care of this with its massive computer model of the universe. Too bad it is just SciFi, but you can see they thought about it a lot when creating the show.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Inactive Ezboards
I got a notice from my EzBoard that any EzBoard that has not been posted on since May 2003 will be deleted to make room on the servers. EzIwethey has not been posted on for a while and may be lost forever.

Last know address for it was:
[link|http://pub13.ezboard.com/biwethey|http://pub13.ezboard.com/biwethey]

It no longer works. I hope someone archived the messages somewhere.

New I didn't get everything.
I'm not sure I got a great deal, actually. But like I said up above, they're not in any fit state to re-host. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Some things are better left alone
I guess it was not meant to be to save every post from EzIWETHEY. Thanks for trying. I am sure that Ezboard may have the board backed up on tape somewhere. Too bad we don't have a member who works for them anymore to retrieve it.

New ICLRPD (new thread)
Created as new thread #125658 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=125658|ICLRPD]
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Try Google.
[link|http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Great+Rotating+Rod%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&filter=0|http://www.google.co...oe=utf-8&filter=0]
The universe makes no sense until you accept that God uses base 13.

Even then, it's still pretty dodgy.
New Re: Try Google.
I did, Thane, and it didn't work. I mean, yes, it brings up the entries your bookmark takes you to, but every one you click on tries to go to the old EZ board site, and it fails.

Thanks anyway, and at least I solved the secret of what GRR was without needing it. :)

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
New Use Google's cache.
Let's take the first result returned from the search Inthane linked as an example:
Great Rotating Rod! - www.ezboard.com
Subject: Great Rotating Rod! Posted By: BTilly - Global user Posted At: (2/16/00
12:20:36 pm) Reply, ... Great Rotating Rod! BTilly, 2/16/00 12:20:36 pm. ...
pub13.ezboard.com/ fiwetheybsd.showMessage?topicID=5.topic&index=3 - 21k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages
Click on the word "Cached" (bold above; dark grey in the original), in stead of "Great Rotating Rod! - www.ezboard.com" (blue in the original).

HTH.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Resident [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=119792|zIWETHEY pilkunnussija]
New Re: Use Google's cache.
Thanks Conrad, that worked some.

Thing is, the actual object of the search was the original conversation about GRR and other people have said it was actually on infoworld, not EZboard.

I simply have not located it.

Nightowl >8#

New Didn't Karsten archive the Infoworld forum?
I seem to remember that someone, maybe Karsten, archive the original IWE Forum. Before the Inclusion crap started.

New Re: Didn't Karsten archive the Infoworld forum?
I heard that too, or was told that, but I don't know where to access it.

Nightowl >8#

New A quick search reveals
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org/~karsten/IWE-archive/|http://guildenstern....sten/IWE-archive/]

Of course that server no longer seems to be accessable.

New Is too :)
Cable modem had one of its periodic "I'm not talking to the network" moments.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Re: Is too :)
Okay, I can get there, but how on earth do I search?

There doesn't seem to be a search command.

Nightowl >8#

New Not sure
I tried to look for a search feature and could not find it either. Posts are ranked by authors, but that is a lot of posts to look through to find the GRR posts. I only made 400+ posts, put me at rank 58 or something. :)

EZboard Archives? (Hey Static?) - (Nightowl) - (25)
         I never really finished. - (static) - (14)
             Re: I never really finished. - (Nightowl) - (13)
                 What are you searching for? - (ChrisR) - (11)
                     Re: What are you searching for? - (Nightowl) - (10)
                         Probably goes back farther than that - (ChrisR) - (6)
                             Re: Probably goes back farther than that - (Nightowl)
                             It was a discussion back on Infoworld - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 Re: It was a discussion back on Infoworld - (Nightowl)
                                 Time travel has always facinated me - (orion) - (2)
                                     I'm sure that it was wrong - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         It may have been wrong - (orion)
                         Inactive Ezboards - (orion) - (2)
                             I didn't get everything. - (static) - (1)
                                 Some things are better left alone - (orion)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
         Try Google. - (inthane-chan) - (9)
             Re: Try Google. - (Nightowl) - (8)
                 Use Google's cache. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                     Re: Use Google's cache. - (Nightowl) - (6)
                         Didn't Karsten archive the Infoworld forum? - (orion) - (5)
                             Re: Didn't Karsten archive the Infoworld forum? - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                 A quick search reveals - (orion) - (3)
                                     Is too :) - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         Re: Is too :) - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                             Not sure - (orion)

Whoze Kewl, whoze tepid and whoze nonexistent.
236 ms