IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But when do you pull the plug?
Being responsive, though incapacitated, should you pull the plug? IIRC, she has to be IV fed. everything else is "functioning".

Now, if I need a machine to breathe, a machine to clean my blood, a machine to pump the blood, and unresponsive, I'm dead. That's a huge difference from being unable to feed myself.
"All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever."
1 Peter 1:24-25
New One test: Flat line EEG.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New She's reported to be in a PVS.
[link|http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:ZpJ3DBLQbawJ:www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/2919/pvsdef.html&hl=en&ie=UTF-8|Google Cache].

The distinguishing feature of the persistent vegetative state is an irregular but cyclic state of circadian sleep and wake cycles, unaccompanied by any detectable expression of self-awareness (The Multi-Society Task Force on PVS Part 1 1500). Along with maintaining autonomous functions, such as cardiovascular and renal functions, patients in a persistent vegetative state may be aroused by certain stimuli, opening their eyes if they are closed, changing their facial expressions, or even moving their limbs. Furthermore, they can grind their teeth, swallow, smile, shed tears, grunt, moan, or scream without any reason. Their heads and eyes can follow a moving object or move towards a loud sound (Zeman 796). Yet, these responses have been observed in patients in whom careful study has shown no evidence of awareness. Consistent with a persistent vegetative state is a lack of sustained visual pursuit. Although they may move their eyes, patients in a vegetative state neither fixate on a visual object nor track a moving target with their eyes (The Multi-Society Task Force on PVS Part 1 1500-1501). "A circumstance where somebody could have his eyes open and not see, and not look, and not track, and not use his eyes for the purpose of gathering information about their environment...is hard for many people to understand," said Dr. Stell (personal interview). Positron-emission tomographic (PET scan) studies have shown an average of a fifty percent decrease in metabolic activity in the cerebral cortex and cerebellum of patients in a persistent vegetative state (The Multi-Society Task Force on PVS Part 1 1506). Thus, although these patients may exhibit behavior that appears to be the result of conscious thought and reasoning, these behaviors are merely reflexive and do not indicate awareness.

It's a bad situation. I have some worries about the state turning off life support (for various reasons) for people who might recover, but I do not think that Bush and the FL legislature should have intervened in this case.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Stories on Terri Schiavo - (Another Scott) - (8)
         This is a sad tale. - (mmoffitt)
         Actually what's really sad - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
             And this steams me... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 But when do you pull the plug? - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                     One test: Flat line EEG. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     She's reported to be in a PVS. - (Another Scott)
             You don't care what happens to her? - (marlowe)
         repos love post birth abortion, does this mean - (boxley)

The last time he socialized with us, he got flamed like a mosquito in a bug zapper.
128 ms