IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Riddle me this, Batman:
3 (new, but last yrs. model) e-Machines. Alleged latest drivers for same. Usual %(&$ Winmodems but..

The two 500 MHz P-IIIs - connect in seconds (after dialing, answer), and almost always at 48.66 (yes, set to read connect speed not port speed). Download confirms rate.

The 600 MHz (mine) with a different card, different driver - takes sometimes 40+ seconds to complete handshake for PW and ID - may connect at 28.8 (rarely), most often 37.33 - but if killed amidst first dialing, or on a second connect after boot:
may be 42K or 44K. File downloads generally suggest learning occurs (at higher connect speed than 28.8, anyway) and is ~ 48K mostly.

(I stopped worrying after I timed downloads) ie - maybe 'connect' is irrelevant: did you try just measuring best d/l speeds?

A.
New No, It's Relevant
I can see a distinct difference even from 28.8 to 33.6. much less 40. Modem drivers apparently have a vast quality range. There are lots of EE type issues such as cancelling line noise etc. that can improve connection speeds when done well.

Download speeds may be throttled on the server end.
New The annswer to your question Batman....
... is that your ISP is using non-V.90 modems or V.90 modems that are not compatible with your modem.

Like if they are using V.90/X2 3Com/USR modems and you, say, have a Lucent V.90/KFlex modem in your laptop, it could very well be the modems not handshaking at v.90 and negotionating a lower speed?

Cross out the V.90 and they handshake at the KFlex protocol at a higher speed?

Boggle?

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
     Curious Modem Issue - (deSitter) - (4)
         Riddle me this, Batman: - (Ashton) - (2)
             No, It's Relevant - (deSitter) - (1)
                 The annswer to your question Batman.... - (orion)
         Major ISP's? - (wharris2)

Mmmmm. Bacteria injections.
70 ms