IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New idiots and digital cameras
I am about to leave on a two-week motoring trip, a vacation that will be made marginally less relaxing by the knowledge that upon my return I must needs produce a 32-page program for a professional association's award dinner, my boss having seconded me, or at least my services, to the said association for this purpose. I had hoped that my design would not scream "desktop publishing," unlike the last seven annual products, but my clients seem allergic to the notion of paying for white space. Many compromises have been made; I am reserving the option of crediting the design on the acknowledgments page to "Alan Smithee."

My main problem, though, is that they want pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. These are being emailed to me daily, and although I went into considerable detail at the outset as to what I required in a digital photo, my guidelines are being ignored. What I need are head-and-shoulders shots at a decently high resolution (either a nice hefty dpi, a large virtual "physical" size or, if 307,200 pixels are all the camera will yield up, at least a nice tight shot so that I can resample to a higher res without doing violence to the information content) and little or no JPEG compression. Much of what I'm getting is 640 x 480, 72 dpi and, what the hell, let's have the head-and-shoulders take up about 5% of the available pixels and let's save this image at such a fierce level of compression that there's room for another 750 shots on this floppy disk...some of these things look as though portraiture had been attempted using the medium of basketweave. Utterly unusable.

I just composed, and discarded without sending, a rather tart note to my main contact at the professional ass'n (she might not have understood that I intended certain terms to be taken metaphorically only, and I learned long ago never to commit to the office email system any words that might prove toxic were one compelled to eat them). I'll make another attempt after lunch, which I'll chase with a cooling beverage.

I'm reconciled to the existence of idiots in the world, but I'm bitterly resentful of whoever it was who first thought to make computer technology available to them.

disgruntledly,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New OT a film for you
"Horatio's Drive" - 2 extremely entertaining hours about the first foray into real "motoring". Ken Burns.

(PS gimme a Nikon analog any day.)
-drl
New Do you have a copy of the original specifications request?
Re-forward it back with a note saying that the supplied pictures are unusable and the attached message tells you why. Perhaps suggest if they can't do this (or don't understand the request), they should hire a professional photographer who does.

Wade, who has himself gotten better at framing but only by dint of effort.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Rule of thirds
Mentally draw a tic-tac-toe grid onto the frame dividing it into thirds vertically and horizontally. The four vertices of the lines (or the four corners of the center square, depending on how much Hollywood Squares you've watched) are where you put your center of interest. (Unless you're shooting headshots, which is almost never a good idea anyeay, but more on that later.)

If you can't decide whether to use the top or bottom (or left or right) third for your subject, because either choice leaves too much of the frame blank, you're not shooting tight enough.

For headshots, full-frontal looks like a mug shot. At least have their shoulders turned to one side or the other. Abuse of this guideline, however, leads to all the faux-"action" shots you see in coprorate literature. Most people can't walk this fine line very consistently. This is why we make professional photographers.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Other framing clues.
The first and simplest one is Fill The Frame! It is the simplest thing for the untrained to do because it doesn't need much explanation and it has clear benefits. Then you move onto cropping, thirds, depth-of-field etc. Only after is grasped can you then discuss when to break the rules. :-)

And another clue about portraits is to not have people stand close against a background. *That* makes it look like a mugshot. They need to stand away from the wall or whatever by at least 3 feet. 5 or 6 is probably best.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Re: Do you have a copy of the original specifications reques

Additional suggestion: take a particularly botched shot, preferably out of focus, motion blur, red-eye, overcompressed, and poorly composed. Crop and tighten, emphasizing flaws. Note that this is typical of results being obtained. Contrast this with a well-composed shot (profession if you must) for contrast.

--\r\n
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]\r\n
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]\r\n
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?\r\n
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.\r\n
\r\n
   Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.\r\n[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html]\r\n
     idiots and digital cameras - (rcareaga) - (5)
         OT a film for you - (deSitter)
         Do you have a copy of the original specifications request? - (static) - (3)
             Rule of thirds - (drewk) - (1)
                 Other framing clues. - (static)
             Re: Do you have a copy of the original specifications reques - (kmself)

Ho ho, then you ain't gettin' no Coke!
119 ms