IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: BEYOND SEP 11: Im still trying to figure out if ....

Bin Laden is merely the 'face' we needed to focus the response on, or if he is just one part of a jigsaw of Islamic militancy.

OBL probably makes by far the easiest target because he has publicly stated his fatwa & jihad against US. We need a face to target & perhaps he is it.

If OBL gets killed I have no doubt we will come up with the next 'face' (probably Al Wahiri or whatever the egyption's name is). The evidence certainly points to OBL as a key element in the terrorist attacks but there is a good possibility it is even bigger than just el quaeda.

It has been nore or less obvious for the past 15 years or so, that there has been a growth of Islamic related militancy in the sense of Islamic fighting groups forming and travelling to battle in areas where Islamic peoples are under siege or percieved to be under siege. The most aggressive input always seems to come from the Sunni muslims. OBL has publicy stated that it is OK to kill Shia muslims in the same way it is to attack US citizens. There are approx 120 million Shia in the world.

These Islamic warriors have fought in ...

Afghanistan in the 1980 & 90s
Algeria in the 1990s righ thru until today
Chechenya & the other states in that region
Aceh (Indonesia) in the 1980s thru to today
Moluccas (Indonesia) in the 1990s thru to today
Southern Phillines in 1980s thru until today
Bosnia in the 1990s
Kosovo in the 1990s
Ugyar region of northern China 1990s until today

It seems that they see themselves as defenders of their peoples and their faith and that what they are fighting is a just and holy war to protect Islamic peoples against growing western dominance and aggression.

Bosnia and Chechenya are two places where we have seen the very ugly side of Islamic peoples fighting genocide at the hands of Christian peoples. Both Serbs and Croatians *hate* muslims with an intensity I find disturbing. It reminds me of the *hate* we see toward Jews from many Arabs & Islamic peoples (such as at the recent conference on racism held in Africa). The Serbs & Croats will tell you how the Islamic people suppressed them for centuries & what terrible people they are. A Croat friend of mine once told me he hated the Serbs except when they were killing muslim Bosnians (saved the Croats the trouble).

History certainly paints a kind picture of many Islamic empires. The Turks were far more tolerant of Christianity than the revers, despite having siezed Constantinople from Christendom.

But back to the theme - I believe we are witnessing some of the extremes of action, by a people who feel besieged & fighting for their survival. OBL wants to paint the US retaliation as Islam vs West. I don't believe we see it that way at all but I am glad I am not Islamic or a Muslim.

I also agree with the article linked to a few days back that paints Islam as going backward from its days as the leaders of education & knowledge. Iraq was one of the great centers of learning only as little as 500 years ago.

Anyway - I really hope this Afghan program works out well for us & US

Cheers - Doug Marker

New Osama bin Laden is merely the beginning!
You are absolutely correct that there are many other terrorist leaders that will need to be removed from power.

The Coalition is merely putting a face on the first phase of this battle. Since bin Laden takes pride in praising these murderous attacks it only seems just that he and his extremists get our highest attention. After he either gives up or leaves this earth, then we will focus on other terrorist networks. It is a world wide effort to clean up these demons and give peace a chance. They want a Holy War of terror, the rest of the world wants world peace. Who do you think is going to win, the 10% or the 90%?

P.S. Did you hear that the Palestinians are denouncing bin Laden and that their police broke up some demonstrations? I heard it on CNN about 15 minutes ago but I'm not sure I heard it right. I can hardly believe it.
New Re: It is what we heard here - Palestinians know ...

that US is just too bloody big and powerful to piss off - they screwed up during the Gulf war by allowing overzelous underbrained citizens to yell & celibrate when Iraq went into Kuwait but Palestinians have come to realise along with the rest of us that if the us sneezes the world catches a cold.

It is interesting that this got announced - I wonder if this was part of the behind the scenes dealing.

I really think that the US has the *power* & now the maturity & sense of purpose to shock all the sensible players into sorting out their messes.

So far it is being handled very well - fingers crossed -

Lets hope we hear a few more denunciations

PS the news here said that the Palestinians resented OBL justifying his terror campaing by using their problems with Israel. The comments were blunt & most unlike the Palestinians as I know them :-)

Cheers

Doug M
New There was a follow-up. OBL never cared about Palestine ...
... before but now it is part of his propoganda, all of the sudden.

I read this to suggest that he is getting desperate to find friends, even if he never used the Palestinians as part of his politiacal agenda before.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.

I'm just surprised that so many nations seem to understand what he is up to in this attempt to start a Holy War against America. America wants to fight terrorism and injustice and Osama and his gang of brain-washed extremists want a World War. Which side is full of hatred? Is hatred a sign of God or the Devil?

I appreciate your compliments of our governments response so far. We've made some mistakes in the past (as ALL governments have) but I hold out hope that all nations will work together to make our planet a global village where we can all get along.
(without having to kill each other to get our point across.)
New Chechnya
In 1998 they got everything they ever wanted: de-facto independence with a perspective for referendum in 10 years, their own elected governement, even the oil. Then they decided that it's not enough and attempted to add a neighboring Dagestan to their land. At about the same time, 2 appartment buildings went down in Moscow and (don't remember for sure, but probably Leningrad). NOthing was proven, but the Second Chechen War got under way.
New Re: Chechnya - Phase I then II

I've always believed that Russia wanted a pause to rethink how it would crush the Chechyens & once they had taken that breather they went in to finish the job - but slightly better organised & a little wiser about tactics.

I don't believe Russia was going to tolerate an Islamic state so close as Chechenya was a springboard for all the states around it.

Cheers

Doug
New Re: Chechnya - Phase I then II
That may be, but Chechens did give a perfect pretext for the second war.
     Operation Enduring Freedom begins - (kmself) - (87)
         And the Taliban pulled out their pre-recorded responses - (Steven A S) - (42)
             Next, the world will be told . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             ObL's response gives lie... - (kmself) - (39)
                 Recall though: first casualty in *every war* is Truth. - (Ashton) - (38)
                     Re: Recall though: first casualty in *every war* is Truth. - (gtall) - (35)
                         Disagree - (deSitter) - (33)
                             Yo, dickhead... Cluestick... - (screamer) - (32)
                                 Yo..Meathead - (deSitter) - (31)
                                     Give the Israelis some credit. - (marlowe) - (18)
                                         I Do - or Did. - (deSitter) - (17)
                                             So how do we conquer without being, er, "oppressors?" - (marlowe) - (16)
                                                 At This Point, Can't Use Nicey Nice - (deSitter) - (15)
                                                     Gentlemen! - fighting in *The War Room* !? -NT - (Ashton)
                                                     So how come it's okay for us to oppress Arabs... - (marlowe)
                                                     Re: Wot U R suggesting would greatly expand the problem . - (dmarker2) - (12)
                                                         Absolutely - (deSitter) - (11)
                                                             Re: I have a perspective on this topic ..... - (dmarker2) - (10)
                                                                 Can't resist such a pregnant analysis.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                     Re: Isn't India enigmatic - idols & visions ... - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                                                         Re: Isn't India enigmatic - idols & visions ... - (Ashton)
                                                                 Oh, how Judeo-Christian of you. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                                                                     Re: Yo bro - a good clarification - (dmarker2)
                                                                     Keep in mind also - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                                                                         Indeed yes - Paganism encourages diversity. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                                             The spread has been, as with all things - (Ashton)
                                                                             paganism spreads! - (boxley)
                                                                     No - (deSitter)
                                     Yo, potato head... - (screamer) - (11)
                                         Uh oh, Chrlie and OBL? - (boxley) - (1)
                                             LOL!!! By the way, it's a decent comparison? -NT - (screamer)
                                         Well, I Considered It - (deSitter) - (8)
                                             So you want >them< to win. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                 You Missed It Completely - (deSitter)
                                             Why is America strong? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                 Too Bad - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                     Asbury Park? - (Arkadiy)
                                             Re: Well, I Considered It - (gtall)
                                             Heads... You win... - (screamer) - (1)
                                                 Tails, I lose... - (screamer)
                         Similar reservations about timing - (Ashton)
                     Of course truth is lost - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                         Who said 'new'! merely worth remembering, as the "news" - (Ashton)
             Slippery... - (inthane-chan)
         We missed? - (marlowe) - (37)
             I don't think he was the target of this mission. - (brettj) - (36)
                 Better he stays alive. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                     Re: BEYOND SEP 11: Im still trying to figure out if .... - (dmarker2) - (6)
                         Osama bin Laden is merely the beginning! - (brettj) - (2)
                             Re: It is what we heard here - Palestinians know ... - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                 There was a follow-up. OBL never cared about Palestine ... - (brettj)
                         Chechnya - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                             Re: Chechnya - Phase I then II - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                 Re: Chechnya - Phase I then II - (Arkadiy)
                 Re: Not everyone sees the Taliban as oppressors ... - (dmarker2) - (27)
                     A couple of points. - (brettj) - (21)
                         Re: A couple of points. - (dmarker2) - (20)
                             TaliBAM - (tablizer) - (19)
                                 Re: Taliblame - (dmarker2) - (16)
                                     Absolute Bull - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                                         Re: Absolute Bull - so you say - (dmarker2) - (14)
                                             That might depend... - (addison) - (1)
                                                 Re: First to cast stones - (dmarker2)
                                             Are you saying then . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                                                 Re: Are you saying then . . . - (dmarker2) - (10)
                                                     You didn't deal with the main point. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                                         Re: What point ? - (dmarker2) - (6)
                                                             And I say the Taliban's main crime is . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                                 Re: Please humor me on one point ... - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                     I remember reading about the story . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                                         Re: The later facts were damning ... - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                             I am sorry, it has achieved nothing here. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                                                 Re: So be it - (dmarker2)
                                                         Re: What point ? - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                                             Well, I recall - and an appropriate reminder. - (Ashton)
                                 Yeah, but it's *stable* brutality - (marlowe) - (1)
                                     Knock it off, Private ! -NT - (Ashton)
                     Interview with Pakistan "President"... - (bepatient) - (3)
                         Re: This guy is very impressive - (dmarker2) - (2)
                             Wishful Thinking - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 Re: Wishful Thinking - maybe - (dmarker2)
                     Not everyone sees the world as round. - (marlowe)
         Remember from 10/1 - Taliban Leaders: Americans are cowards. - (brettj)
         What did we accomplish? - (wharris2) - (3)
             Knocked out defenses and secured airspace - (kmself)
             Carbon-carbon Tomahaw - (kmself) - (1)
                 Damned devious. - (addison)
         Food and medicine drops? - (wharris2)

Supercalifragilisticexshpialadocious.
102 ms