IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dude
the thing you have to get past with C is THERE IS NO HIGHER CONCEPTUAL MODEL FOR THE LANGUAGE.

Stop trying to give it one. C is processor independent assembler. Period. If you don't see MOV STO ADD JMP instructions in your head (for any sufficiently abstract machine code) when you write C then you're not going to be very good at it.

Furthermore, by forcing non-C idioms into your code you just annoy the piss out of the veterans who view your added "clarity" as NOISE.

In Java, you can't escape the creepy feeling.

--James Gosling
New Which reminds me - C++ is why our hardware sucks (new thread)
Created as new thread #120862 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=120862|Which reminds me - C++ is why our hardware sucks]

--James Gosling
New rofl
This reminded me of the situation with relativity when it first emerged - people were trying to make mechanical models of light propagation that were just all balled up, then along comes E and says - "knock it off! It ain't that way, peeps!"
-drl
New Heh
We're studying assembler now in the course I'm taking.

The very early part of the course was pretty boring (to me, at least), but we're getting to the good parts now.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Dude...
If you'd read my post, you'd see that that's exactly what I was saying. It's Chris that's trying to ad some level of abstraction to C by coming up with this "the <null> character is the absence of a character" stuff, not me. My premise, stated explicitly for all (including you) to read was: There is always a character, that the <null> character is a character just like any other, and that the Founding Fathers gave that character a specific meaning in a specific context. Reading is a skill.

Furthermore, by forcing non-C idioms into your code you just annoy the piss out of the veterans who view your added "clarity" as NOISE.

Listen, Todd, I'll put my C experience up against anybody's on this forum, including yours. My "veteran" status is well documented. I don't do anything to explicitly piss off anybody (and, I don't resort to ad hominem insults designed to piss of other people, either!). If you want to write what I refer to as "UNIX-style" code -- terse, hard to read, keystroke-miserly -- you go right ahead; I'll continue to use flourishes like clear logical flow, block-structuring, abundant whitespace, clear variable names, and all the keystrokes I deem necessary (and not one extra). And if that pisses you off, Mr. Highly-revered Veteran, then that's your problem, not mine.
jb4
Boy I'd like to see those words on a PR banner behind [Treasury Secretary John] Snow at the podium:
Jobs and Growth: Just Wait.

John J. Andrew, unemployed programmer; see jobforjohn.com
New Whoa, JB gets feisty!
I don't think he was insulting you. You're both the shit in my book.
-drl
New Non-sequitur
clear logical flow, block-structuring, abundant whitespace, clear variable names...

I don't think anybody is arguing for unclear illogical flow, whatever the opposite of block structuring is, no whitespace, or cryptic variables names.

The discussion was on the preferred technique for testing for string termination and null pointers.

Stay on topic please.

Oh, and "you" was meant as the plural non specific "you" - as in "you all people who prefer the newer Java/C++ way".

--James Gosling
New OK, then apology accepted........;-)
(and the opposite of block structuring is oftern referred to as "spaghetti"...)
jb4
Boy I'd like to see those words on a PR banner behind [Treasury Secretary John] Snow at the podium:
Jobs and Growth: Just Wait.

John J. Andrew, unemployed programmer; see jobforjohn.com
     I'm having a problem grokking C - (jake123) - (61)
         "\\0" is a string - not a character - (ChrisR) - (54)
             Re: "\\0" is a string - not a character - (jake123) - (23)
                 Double quotes is a string: - (ChrisR)
                 You want to use '0' not "0". - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                     Thanks guys - (jake123) - (20)
                         sheesh, wackiness - (jake123) - (17)
                             operator precedence -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 According to my text - (jake123) - (2)
                                     use "unsigned char" - (deSitter)
                                     Re: According to my text - (Arkadiy)
                             Should be equivalent indeed - (Arkadiy) - (12)
                                 Well, interestingly enough - (jake123) - (11)
                                     Re: Well, interestingly enough - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                         Yes, I was sure. -NT - (jake123) - (9)
                                             copy/paste the full code, then -NT - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                                 Sure, here's my final version - (jake123) - (7)
                                                     Works with or without parens for me - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                                         Feel free - (jake123) - (3)
                                                             Re: Feel free - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 You're suggesting that - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                     Basically, yes - (Arkadiy)
                                                     Works here too, both ways. gcc 3.3.2 -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                                                         It is working here - (jake123)
                         What is the type of 'value1' ? - (jb4) - (1)
                             Nah, it's an int - (jake123)
             NOT better! - (jb4) - (29)
                 Think we've had this argument before - (ChrisR)
                 Agreed -NT - (deSitter)
                 NOT boolean - this is C - (tuberculosis) - (25)
                     Re: NOT boolean - this is C - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Nah, put on your binary thinking cap. :) - (a6l6e6x)
                     Yes, yes...agreed - (jb4) - (22)
                         Breaking bad habits - (ChrisR) - (21)
                             Good points... - (jb4) - (15)
                                 Not that I do a tremendous amount of C programming... - (admin) - (4)
                                     K&R - (ChrisR)
                                     My mileage varies. :-) - (static)
                                     They are all ugly - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                         Yep. - (admin)
                                 The business seems to have plenty of time on its hands - (ChrisR) - (9)
                                     Disagree with several of your premises - (jb4) - (8)
                                         Dude - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                             Which reminds me - C++ is why our hardware sucks (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
                                             rofl - (deSitter)
                                             Heh - (jake123)
                                             Dude... - (jb4) - (3)
                                                 Whoa, JB gets feisty! - (deSitter)
                                                 Non-sequitur - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                     OK, then apology accepted........;-) - (jb4)
                             I'd have to agree - (jake123) - (4)
                                 Used to be a Fortran thing - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                     Re: Used to be a Fortran thing - (deSitter) - (2)
                                         Yep -FORTRAN for math libs rulez - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             Re: Yep -FORTRAN for math libs rulez - (deSitter)
                 Misra C guidelines - (ChrisR)
         Ob-C advice - (deSitter)
         Stylistic tip - (ben_tilly)
         Re: I'm having a problem grokking C - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             Hehehe - (jake123) - (2)
                 int isdigit(int c) { return (c >='0' && c <= '9'); } - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     :) - (jake123)

Always wook on da bwight side of Wife!
154 ms