IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Used to be a Fortran thing
Still lots of scientific stuff using Fortran. I don't know that C ever managed to equal the speed with which arrays can be processed.

VB and Java have a lot of overhead that can be dispensed with - GC & boundary checking being the most obvious. For many, if not most, efficient programming can be had in these languages, but it does require attention to detail.

One thing I've found is that speed is a tricky problem. Inefficiency and volume of code are not necessarily in direct correlation. You can have routines that are very inefficient but unless they are at the heart of the speed problems, they don't cause a significant degradation. Then again, you can have a routine that is fairly tight be the culprit because it is directly in the path of bottleneck.
New Re: Used to be a Fortran thing
Very true about speed - my APL mumerical codes tend to be as fast as the C codes, because the primitive operations like inverting a matrix are lightning fast in APL (100x100 matrix is nearly instantaneous on a 300 Pentium).

C has always sucked as an idiom for math, and more or less still does. The one reason I maintain an interest in C++ is that is makes a better idiom for math.
-drl
New Yep -FORTRAN for math libs rulez
Pity about Raytheon paying a couple friends of mine to rewrite their FORTRAN math lib in C++.

Don't think it ever worked as well as before.

In Java, you can't escape the creepy feeling.

--James Gosling
New Re: Yep -FORTRAN for math libs rulez
It's the old bugbear, copying of values. For bizapps this can be minimized, but in numeric codes, a naive approach can result in implicit copying of enormous blocks of floats, so the program spends most of its time doing stupid busywork.
-drl
     I'm having a problem grokking C - (jake123) - (61)
         "\\0" is a string - not a character - (ChrisR) - (54)
             Re: "\\0" is a string - not a character - (jake123) - (23)
                 Double quotes is a string: - (ChrisR)
                 You want to use '0' not "0". - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                     Thanks guys - (jake123) - (20)
                         sheesh, wackiness - (jake123) - (17)
                             operator precedence -NT - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 According to my text - (jake123) - (2)
                                     use "unsigned char" - (deSitter)
                                     Re: According to my text - (Arkadiy)
                             Should be equivalent indeed - (Arkadiy) - (12)
                                 Well, interestingly enough - (jake123) - (11)
                                     Re: Well, interestingly enough - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                         Yes, I was sure. -NT - (jake123) - (9)
                                             copy/paste the full code, then -NT - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                                 Sure, here's my final version - (jake123) - (7)
                                                     Works with or without parens for me - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                                         Feel free - (jake123) - (3)
                                                             Re: Feel free - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 You're suggesting that - (jake123) - (1)
                                                                     Basically, yes - (Arkadiy)
                                                     Works here too, both ways. gcc 3.3.2 -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                                                         It is working here - (jake123)
                         What is the type of 'value1' ? - (jb4) - (1)
                             Nah, it's an int - (jake123)
             NOT better! - (jb4) - (29)
                 Think we've had this argument before - (ChrisR)
                 Agreed -NT - (deSitter)
                 NOT boolean - this is C - (tuberculosis) - (25)
                     Re: NOT boolean - this is C - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Nah, put on your binary thinking cap. :) - (a6l6e6x)
                     Yes, yes...agreed - (jb4) - (22)
                         Breaking bad habits - (ChrisR) - (21)
                             Good points... - (jb4) - (15)
                                 Not that I do a tremendous amount of C programming... - (admin) - (4)
                                     K&R - (ChrisR)
                                     My mileage varies. :-) - (static)
                                     They are all ugly - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                         Yep. - (admin)
                                 The business seems to have plenty of time on its hands - (ChrisR) - (9)
                                     Disagree with several of your premises - (jb4) - (8)
                                         Dude - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                             Which reminds me - C++ is why our hardware sucks (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
                                             rofl - (deSitter)
                                             Heh - (jake123)
                                             Dude... - (jb4) - (3)
                                                 Whoa, JB gets feisty! - (deSitter)
                                                 Non-sequitur - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                     OK, then apology accepted........;-) - (jb4)
                             I'd have to agree - (jake123) - (4)
                                 Used to be a Fortran thing - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                     Re: Used to be a Fortran thing - (deSitter) - (2)
                                         Yep -FORTRAN for math libs rulez - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             Re: Yep -FORTRAN for math libs rulez - (deSitter)
                 Misra C guidelines - (ChrisR)
         Ob-C advice - (deSitter)
         Stylistic tip - (ben_tilly)
         Re: I'm having a problem grokking C - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             Hehehe - (jake123) - (2)
                 int isdigit(int c) { return (c >='0' && c <= '9'); } - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     :) - (jake123)

I think coming back from the summit was the rather more important achievement.
151 ms