IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have more faith in American resilience
I don't see armed rebellion, but I do see gigantic economic collapse - I'm already making plans to move back to the parents, who want me there in any case. They'll need me. There is still time to change things - immediately extricate ourselves from the Mideast, cut off support for Israel and tell them to sink or swim, let Mideast states know that getting out of line will be dramatically punished from above, tell Saudi Arabia to fuck off, start making things here again and get a handle on corporate stupidity and venality and make some legislative changes designed exclusively for the middle class, as in job protection, tariffs if needed, a general retreat from globalization, kick out all illegals and in general behave in a xenocritical way.
-drl
New I wouldn't rule out armed rebellion.
Hell, you and I have argued enough over the years about Amendment 2 to know what it means that I went out and got a firearm permit.

[Edit: typo]
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Sept. 30, 2003, 12:24:12 PM EDT
New Oh, that comes first...
Well not quite an economic collapse. There is a recovery on, don't you know? And of course there are plenty of alternatives available.

Rebellion only comes after all hope of resolving the issues through more accepted channels is exhausted. As you note, it is clear that hope is far from gone at this point. But a lot can change over a dozen years.

For an outline of the general themes that lead that way, see [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=107614|http://z.iwethey.org...?contentid=107614].

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Do you really think any of that is going to happen?
I don't. I don't believe that things will change until it is too late. Why would Congress make legislative changes to beneift the middle class when the elites are the ones who finance their campaigns. In fact, given redistricting and the advantages of incumbency, there are very few competitive races in the House. The Congressmen get nice salaries, great benefits, and all kinds of perks. They aren't feeling the pain and therefore they aren't going to change the status quo that keeps them in power.

As for reversing globalization I don't see how that can happen. The whole corporate structure has come to depend on cheap foreign workers producing goods at low prices.
     With folks losing their jobs, I hate to post this. - (mmoffitt) - (36)
         Don't feel bad... - (folkert) - (4)
             Re: Don't feel bad... - (deSitter) - (1)
                 I just use them for a while now... - (folkert)
             Giving up Half Price Books, too? - (gdaustin) - (1)
                 Local libraries are great. - (inthane-chan)
         Condolences - (jbrabeck) - (14)
             Happening here in Aust too - (dmarker)
             part of the plan.... - (slugbug) - (12)
                 Define Mad as Hell? - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     Re: Define Mad as Hell? - (Nightowl)
                     Read my posts over the last 5 yrs :) - (deSitter)
                     Re: Define Mad as Hell? - (kmself)
                     why wait to hear stories from other people? - (boxley)
                     I am mad as hell - (bluke)
                 Define Mad as Hell? - (gdaustin)
                 You didn't get around to Wealth and Democracy yet? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     I have more faith in American resilience - (deSitter) - (3)
                         I wouldn't rule out armed rebellion. - (mmoffitt)
                         Oh, that comes first... - (ben_tilly)
                         Do you really think any of that is going to happen? - (bluke)
         Re: With folks losing their jobs, I hate to post this. - (deSitter)
         Well, that sucks! - (a6l6e6x)
         Upgrade to something cheaper, like a Cub or Champ - (bbronson) - (2)
             Upgrade? To a Champ? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Well, of course, it's a taildragger ;-D - (bbronson)
         Sorry to hear it. - (imric)
         Okay, now I feel better. Thanks * -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             Bite me. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 Now THAT is more along the lines I expected. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     :D - (inthane-chan)
         bummer, any chance of trading down to an ultra lite? - (boxley)
         Same sit here... - (gdaustin)
         Well . . . - (Ashton)
         I hear you - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Thanks. - (mmoffitt)
             OT check this - (boxley)

It goes well with the chicken.
52 ms