IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I can probably live without a floppy, but the serial ports?
I still use floppies for moving small amounts of data around a number of machines, but I could probably live without it. I would like to see an alternative to Adaptec (now a spin-off) DirectCD software before I have to rely exclusively on it. It's quirky and they are saying that future releases will have built in copy protection. And I don't like having to depend on one company.

I am really loath to give up my serial ports. I only use external modems (ok, I like to see the little lights blinking, so what?) I like to be able to hook two machines together without installing a NIC or putting a foreign machine on the network. I am seriously unconvinced that having serial ports go away is a good thing. Intel gains a few pennies per mother board and the end user looses a lot of functionality (which Intel says we really don't need anyway. When they say it really for the children, I'm going to throw up...)

Bah Humbug,
Hugh

(Christmas spirit, the year 'round)
New nog that noise!
I am really loath to give up my serial ports. I only use external modems (ok, I like to see the little lights blinking, so what?)

Amen, brutha!

I've had the same external modem since the 16.8 days. Sure, it's been upgraded, but I'm not giving up my external modem until I give up dial-up (which will be precisely when Naperville allows Focal to build a few "ugly" buildings in town.) But then at that point, I'm not gonna be potentially paying per-minute charges to some phone company in K18stan a la the scam of a few years ago.

-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New fer sure,
the first time the net goes down because the router cacked try to hook up the usb to the console port.
thanx,
bill
What is a user? You mean userid isnt the same as uid?, gid? whats that? I dont understand "ask the requestor to send a non formal email request for ftp access? whaddya mean dean?
Halp Iam drowning in Bovine Fecal Matter!!!!
Bill
     Intel wants to lose the FDD and other things. - (static) - (26)
         Floppys to stay on Bizness computers - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
             I'm waiting with anticipation - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Well I guess I cheat... - (Meerkat)
                 I generally agree. - (static)
                 I can probably live without a floppy, but the serial ports? - (hnick) - (2)
                     nog that noise! - (Yendor) - (1)
                         fer sure, - (boxley)
             Huh? Izzat true? - (Ashton) - (9)
                 Home users? Hell . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                     I need to recover my data...Load your backup tapes... - (kmself) - (7)
                         Situations can get bad enough that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                             !!! - words fail.. -NT - (Ashton)
                             Ounce of prevention - (kmself) - (4)
                                 Re: Backups are a PITB - but ... - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                     Filesystem structure - (kmself) - (2)
                                         Others by implication. - (static) - (1)
                                             Arcserve has one terrible, terrible feature - (pwhysall)
         Woop! - (inthane-chan) - (7)
             Zip drives won't win, IMO. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 The problem is, once again, the installed base. - (inthane-chan)
                 From what I understand of DVD-RWs . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     True of some. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Maybe not crippled, but single-layered - (Meerkat) - (2)
                             Re: I have dumped zip in favour of 2.5 in USB disks - (dmarker2)
                             That's crippled in my book. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Intel wants to lose the FDD and other things. - (wharris2)

Damn them, and their hatstand minions!
174 ms