IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Huh? Izzat true?
So for the many sans CDRW - how do they er 'backup' anything? Yeah I know they don't *really* backup much, since with Windoze you can't * - but I thought they were sorta taught to put their immortal prose and those important recipes - on something removable? So are you saying that your recent experience is: home users just.. write to HD, do defrag when someone nags them and - that's it?

* I'd imagine Ghost (either to an image on another partition or via CDRW) -- to be beyond a basic home user's capabilities (?) S/he'd have to learn PMagic to make that partition, for one thing..

(Now you can tell us from your considerable experience: how many biz folk, those who sorta get the idea of 'backup' - have *ever actually* loaded that backup (of three made, to be really paranoid) ??)

Ashton
who likes the incremental CD-as-floppy, as world's cheapest, fast SYA: 30+ MB of all-mail costs 2\ufffd, all of 5 keystrokes..
New Home users? Hell . .
In September I had 5 cases of total data loss brought to me (total of 6 hard disks). Four were businesses (including a CPA firm), and one was a student who lost all his school work.

Every time I'm faced with a recovery job, the instruction is the same, "Please, my whole life is on that disk".

No most people do not back up at all. Many think they're backing up but never verify. When the crunch comes - no data.

Then I have one client, "Stupid Stew" as he often calls himself, who checks the tape backup log first thing every morning, takes critical data home on Zip disk, and has a backup server automatically updated every evening just before the tape run. According to "Stupid Stew", "I'd be screwed without my data". He doesn't like downtime either (costs about $60/minute).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I need to recover my data...Load your backup tapes...
I have no sympathy for these people. I could, but I don't.

The first rule of data recovery is "restore from recent, and verified, backups". I've been doing same on my systems every 2-4 days, with a multi-tape rotation. I publish my own [link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html|backup recommendations], and it's one of the more popular documents on my site.

It might almost be better if consumer drives were of sufficiently low quality that the realities of data loss and recovery were driven home more often. The sad truth is that for most people it's a "friend of a friend" problem, that hasn't directly effected them. And few consumer devices ship with a suitable archival system (though CD-R/DVD-R is changing this, somewhat).

I still like tape.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Situations can get bad enough that . . .
. . Drive Savers, one of the leading data recovery houses, employs Niki Stange (a former suicide hot line councilor) to handle the more distraught customers.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New !!! - words fail..
New Ounce of prevention
I can believe it. I still don't have to sympathize.
--
New Re: Backups are a PITB - but ...

Having been part of corporate business for the best part of 30 years & having once had the job of teaching, setting up & testing CICS back-up & recovery systems. I find backups on PCs a PITB.

My answer is to have 4 computers each with massive disk capacity divided into 5 logical disks. Each disk H: has copies of old files etc:, each disk G has copies of new software etc: the others have installed pgms & data. I have 2 rw cdroms & hate them both - they are so damn erratic. I know I should buy a good SCSI disk & rwCDROM but just haven't got round to it.

But I still do periodic writes to CDs as well. I have tried r/w CDs but find them irritatingly slow. So use them as periodical back up like I do with W CDs.

I have lost 3 disks in the past 12 months but have been able to recover each one except for one bit of 4 weeks incoming mail items.

It is so much easier to copy stuff to a fast server.

Cheers

Doug Marker
New Filesystem structure
The GNU/Linux (or Unix) filesystem hierarchy makes backups so much easier. The utter lack of architecture under Windows is what makes backups so difficult.

Under GNU/Linux, a user wants their personal stuff backed up? $HOME. As a sysadmin the local installation stuff? /usr/local. A decent systemwide backup? /etc, /root, /boot, /var/stuff, /home, /usr/local, plus a list of currently installed packages and/or versions. You're 100% at that point.

Over-the-net backups -- that's an option. It's convenient, but it's not a full solution, and the expense (particularly for multiple versions or historic backups) are prohibitive.

MS Windows backups are a PITA? Blame the [link|http://www.microsoft.com/|fucking vendor].
--
New Others by implication.
ArcServe is horrible. Over-engineered, over-priced rubbish. Oh it backs-up okay, but I wish they'd spend all their millions on a cadre of decent UI designers. The thing is a real pain-in-the-arse to configure.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Arcserve has one terrible, terrible feature
It makes Backup Exec look good.

And that, believe me, is a BAD thing.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
     Intel wants to lose the FDD and other things. - (static) - (26)
         Floppys to stay on Bizness computers - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
             I'm waiting with anticipation - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Well I guess I cheat... - (Meerkat)
                 I generally agree. - (static)
                 I can probably live without a floppy, but the serial ports? - (hnick) - (2)
                     nog that noise! - (Yendor) - (1)
                         fer sure, - (boxley)
             Huh? Izzat true? - (Ashton) - (9)
                 Home users? Hell . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                     I need to recover my data...Load your backup tapes... - (kmself) - (7)
                         Situations can get bad enough that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                             !!! - words fail.. -NT - (Ashton)
                             Ounce of prevention - (kmself) - (4)
                                 Re: Backups are a PITB - but ... - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                     Filesystem structure - (kmself) - (2)
                                         Others by implication. - (static) - (1)
                                             Arcserve has one terrible, terrible feature - (pwhysall)
         Woop! - (inthane-chan) - (7)
             Zip drives won't win, IMO. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 The problem is, once again, the installed base. - (inthane-chan)
                 From what I understand of DVD-RWs . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     True of some. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Maybe not crippled, but single-layered - (Meerkat) - (2)
                             Re: I have dumped zip in favour of 2.5 in USB disks - (dmarker2)
                             That's crippled in my book. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: Intel wants to lose the FDD and other things. - (wharris2)

And would I trow dis lit match in the oven if my friend Lucky were in there?
121 ms