IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New cost of inkjet cartridges
got this in an email this past weekend:

The ink in a typical color-ink cartridge for home printers costs eight times as much per milliliter as 1985 Dom Perignon champagne, according to a British news report, for those who like to know with precision how badly they are being taken.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Fortunately...
when I print something I don't piss it away later

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Fortunately
I got a laser when I figured out how horribly overpriced the consumables were on those things.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Fortunately
I have a fountain *pen.
Few things are worthy of paper storage
(but those few Really Are).

Since I can't fight an entire culture of unobservant drones feeding the various Greed-machines (well, not very effectively) - I can at least try to print less.

So could 'offices' - if anyone had the brains of a tick.

Ashton

* and BTW - even &*$&*@# Parker good-ink has escalated into >$6 a bottle.
Greed, once transformed into Virtue via the Ronniesymps of the world - is like fleas on an outdoor cat.
New Re: Fortunately
!
What kind?

Me: Pelikan Souveran M800 all black with 24k gold trim and 18/24k gold nib. Nice.
-drl
New Parker 'Sonnet'
Made in France. All black except minimal gold trim and gold + fancy-alloy nib.

Didn't consider the now thoroughly Rolex-Yuppified Mont Blanc - as if carrying one of those were some proof of literacy. (And something weird to do with Taste) Prolly good pens but.. who wants to pay for herd-inflation.

Ashton
New I heard the monster Mont Blanc pens...
were popular with people with arthritis as they're easier to hold. Perhaps, but I'm sure your theory has weight too.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who used to love fountain pens, but has become enamored by Uniball Deluxe Micro, except when one of them decides to puke ink all over his hand. Of course, he had similar problems with fountain pens on occasion...)
New Re: Parker 'Sonnet'
Nice. I used to also carry an all-metal Schaeffer pen, liked the ink. Quick drying ink (Quink) was once an important desiridatum. Now use only Pelikan Koenigsblau and Brilliant-Schwarz - the latter tends to dry out early so I'm looking for a second pen that can run Black.
-drl
New Noted, thanks - Parker also dries out a bit early.
New Another Mayan girlfriend...
intorduced me to fountain pens.

Well, part Maya. Had the nose. Big difference, though - we liked each other. A lot. She was a city girl, literate, very fluent in Spanish. I missed a date with her because my family had to flee. There was a civil war going on, and if there is a rumor of trouble, you move fast. Didn't get back for several years, when I did people who knew us both told be she was married, and having a baby. I never saw her again.

Anna Carolina Forno Maza de..., damn - not even 30 years go by and I can't remember the rest of her name.

The other one, eShu, was my finace but never girlfriend.

One day, when I was 15, I was in a village in Guatemala, where my parents were filming a documentary. I was in a small room with one door facing a courtyard. Suddenly, the doorway, and a good bit of the courtyard, was full of young women. eShu, who spoke more Spanish than the rest, was leading the group. She informed me that I was marrying one of them. There weren't any other doors. The window also faced the courtyard. I declined. My declining was not accepted. I was outnumbered. I was cornered. Eventualy, I made a choice. eShu was beautiful and feisty and we could communicate - her Spanish was better than my Ixil. And I had the impression that she wanted me to pick one of the others. All in all, she was the best choice for me. She declined, and I did not accept her declining. It was her or none of them.

The wedding was set for a week later.

I met her parents - in passing, no formal visits. Her mom was a nice enough person. Dad wore mirror sunglasses and looked kind of like a preying mantis, and we didn't impress each other.

eShu starred in some production shots for the documentary. My parents took wedding pictures - but not with me in them. Some of them became part of the documentary. She was perhaps the prettiest young woman in town, and the pictures (I don't have copies - maybe I should ask for some) were very good. The pictures were used to illustrate a creation myth that I don't exactly remember. Something about a goddess reaching for a gourd that is the skull of a god and becoming pregnant.

The big morning, Mr. Brother (I don't remember his real name - we were told to call him that as a sign of respect) met me to go for a walk, he wanted to get some cheese. I should have realized something was up - he strapped on combat boots. He doesn't normally wear anything on his feet. We walked briskly into the mountain. Well, the cheese (which was superb) was in another village, about 25 miles away. Over mountain trails. No technical climbing, but a steep path through some of the most excellent scenery I've come across. Mr. Brother could hike at a very brisk pace with very few breaks.

When we got there, ironicaly, there was a mass wedding going on. This was the week that the priest's rounds took him there, and there was a line of couples on the church steps. Not a t-shirt or pair of jeans in sight. Bright new Maya attire on all of them.

We watched some weddings, bought cheese, and headed home. Got back rather late. That has, so far, been the best visual day of my life. Didn't take a camera, we weren't going on a trip, just stepping out for some cheese.

The bride's mother laughed when I met her in the market the next day. eShu had gone for a walk, too. Nobody was upset. I don't think I ever saw eShu again. I didn't look for her, nor she for me.

----
Sometime you the windshield, sometime you the bug...
New Sounds like something I read
In a sociology class I read a book by a researcher who went to live with a tribe in the rainforest. After a year or so, they decided he was getting married whether he liked it or not. So his new wife built them a leaf-covered hut, and they went in to spend their first night together. As he was trying to think of what to do, it started raining (as usual). Brainstorm! He told the woman the roof was leaking and asked her to go adjust the leaves. When she came back in he pretended to be sleeping.

The next morning when everyone asked how everything went, she told them that she had had to go fix the leaves. Everyone started laughing hysterically. It took several days before someone told him that "fixing the leaves" was the local equivalent of "I have a headache".
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Love. It.
New Re: cost of inkjet cartridges
At one particular company, employees, as of a year ago, could purchase inkjet cartridges at a 45% discount. They're priced at what they are due to how cheap the printers are. The ol' Gilette razor - razorblade thing... Doesn't everyone know that?

Make some friends at inkjet printer companies... :-)
lister
New It's not a bad model
I have no problem with overpriced ink, as long as it's reasonable. The cartridge formats need to be merged into some sort of standard.
-drl
New Indeed.
I spent a year researching inkjet printers before settling on a BJC-6000. The really big advantage was that the ink cartridges were individually replaceable and the print heads are separate. A Tom's Hardware review of inkjet printers about 18 months after I bought my 3000 listed it's successor model - which used the same ink cartridges - as the most cost-effecient inkjet printer. By a noticeable margin. Canon are still using those same cartridges in quite a number of later printers, which shows it was a good move they made.

I did also notice that Xerox Textronic's entry level phasers are cheaper again to run. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the purchase price.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Re: Indeed.
I spent a year researching inkjet printers before settling on a BJC-6000. The really big advantage was that the ink cartridges were individually replaceable and the print heads are separate. A Tom's Hardware review of inkjet printers about 18 months after I bought my 3000 listed it's successor model - which used the same ink cartridges - as the most cost-effecient inkjet printer. By a noticeable margin. Canon are still using those same cartridges in quite a number of later printers, which shows it was a good move they made.

I also loved my Xerox XJ6C Printer for the reason of the individual color cartridges. Unfortunately they discontinued my printer support, (lousy driver for XP wouldn't barely work) and most office stores stopped carrying the ink.

Add to that the fact that it had some serious problems and had to be babysat all the time to print, and I was done with it. I settled on an HP Deskjet 3820 and so far it's been fine. I print a lot of color documents consistently, so I don't tend to waste the colored ink, it gets pretty spread out usage wise.

I realize the lasers are more efficient where ink is concerned but we just can't afford one right now, so I'm happy with my choice. :)

Nightowl >8#

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New Assuming it's reasonable and I'm not locked into buying new
This putting chips into the cartridges to lock out refills or cheaper competitors is bogus. Some include a limited number of uses. Thanks but I can tell when the cartridge needs to be replaced. The printer manufacturers can put in BIG BOLD letters on the front of the manual that using refills or competitors cartidges voids the warranty. That's a risk I'm prepared to take.
lister
New That warning is illegal in the U.S.
Under U.S. law, to void a warranty the manufacturer must prove specific consumable supplies actually did cause damage.

This has not stopped some companies from saying it anyway, and some of them have been sued for it. Of course, making it too much hassle to ever collect on a warranty is the standard defense.

As an Epson exec told a magazine journalist who asked how they could make money selling printers so cheap, "You see a printer. I see an ink vending machine", and that's the way it's going to stay. The printer companies will do everything anywhere near close to legal to stop refills and compatibles. These days, one set of new cartridges can cost half the price of the printer did.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New ... and that's why you don't buy a cheap inkjet printer! :-)

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

New All generalizations are false
(like this one)

I bought TWO loss-leaders from a #^@#$ Drug Store chain! ~ 2 years ago. ~$50 ea out the door: the ""List"" price on the color refill was then ~$32! for this Canon BJ-1000 == I got the second entire printer for $18. Nutzo, that.

Now my usage is hardly typ - I don't print often (just about enough to keep the printhead from fusing into jello). The second unit remains in its box as does its color cartridge. [Won't print some morning? R&R in about 3 minutes; think later]

I had found (first!) that the Very Common 'BC-02' refill in BLACK was an alt. refill, and after a few color prints I removed the original into its sorta-sealed plastic carrier box.

Borrowing a Costco card I snagged a pair of the BC-02s for something like 17 ea - and since it's all-black, the capacity means I'm still on the original one. I may.. sometime see if this venerable ctdge has more anti-refill featurez than I can hyppodermic around. Maybe.

So my 'annual print cost' has benefited from this scam, though this has nada to do with (most) folks who'd like to print lots and not feel like schmuks who have willingly surrendered to YAN slimy bizness Neoconman.

YMMV

Ashton
New An exception that proves the rule? :-)
Certainly, for the general case, I posit that the Official consumables for cheap printers tend to be out of proportion in price to the printer's purchase price. I can't believe this was always so. Besides, un-Official refill kits do seem to re-balance the equation, to the printer manufacturers' frustration... Without sounding like a know-it-all perhaps your atypical usage also helps re-balance things.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
Please

New That word...
...in that context, does not mean what you think it means.

"The exception that proves the rule" as written is a contradiction UNTIL you realise that "prove" can also mean "test".

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New But everyone generalizes
I know I do.

<snicker>
-----------------------------------------
[link|http://www.talion.com/questionw.html|?W]
Where were you in 72?
New *Nobody* believes that! I'm for -
*Nobody* for President! Why...

Nobody can wade throught the swamp of polit-speak
Nobody can walk on the water above it
Nobody can save us from ourselves!
Nobody has a ghost of a chance of speaking sense
Nobody can send Shrub directly back to E. Texas
Nobody can encourage Rove-o-witz to commit seppuku
Nobody can reverse the Plutocracy before everyone commits seppuku

Nobody's My Man!

(Nobody Knows.. the trouble I've seen)
     cost of inkjet cartridges - (lincoln) - (23)
         Fortunately... - (andread)
         Fortunately - (jake123)
         Fortunately - (Ashton) - (8)
             Re: Fortunately - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Parker 'Sonnet' - (Ashton) - (3)
                     I heard the monster Mont Blanc pens... - (Another Scott)
                     Re: Parker 'Sonnet' - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Noted, thanks - Parker also dries out a bit early. -NT - (Ashton)
             Another Mayan girlfriend... - (mhuber) - (2)
                 Sounds like something I read - (drewk) - (1)
                     Love. It. -NT - (Ashton)
         Re: cost of inkjet cartridges - (lister) - (11)
             It's not a bad model - (deSitter) - (10)
                 Indeed. - (static) - (1)
                     Re: Indeed. - (Nightowl)
                 Assuming it's reasonable and I'm not locked into buying new - (lister) - (7)
                     That warning is illegal in the U.S. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         ... and that's why you don't buy a cheap inkjet printer! :-) -NT - (static) - (5)
                             All generalizations are false - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 An exception that proves the rule? :-) - (static) - (1)
                                     That word... - (pwhysall)
                                 But everyone generalizes - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                     *Nobody* believes that! I'm for - - (Ashton)

We'll all still go there on holiday, get the shits, and complain about their hilariously bad plumbing.
156 ms