IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Shafted by the Beast
Well, gang, the Board + Mgmt made a decision here last weekend, forcing me to accept either C# or VB.Net as a development platform.

I won't.

<let the sad cheering begin>

I'm not prepared for that kind of stress; I recommended a 250% salary increase. Barring acceptance of that, I may renegotiate my position here, but I will no longer be programmer. I may remain head of IT and outsource the development. Stay tuned.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Be careful about burning bridges, Bob.
Alex

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life." -- Eric Hoffer
New Extremely careful. :)
Current tenor is "this is resolvable".

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Ugh.
Now why would they go and do that?

Best of luck either way. :-/
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Serious question
Board + Mgmt made a decision here last weekend, forcing me to accept either C# or VB.Net as a development platform

What's the difference? Or rather, with most Microsoft tools users using the GUI, will most of the programmers even know which one they're in?
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Ridiculous, fubared, insane, idiotic
-drl
New You're a gentleman and a scholar, Sir.
Hope it ends well.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Different time, same bat-channel.
They have produced a counter-proposal:

1. I stay on staff. I rewrite our current applications (which badly need it) in Python or whatever I want. In mid-2005 we hire a programmer to *port again* to C#/VB.Net. Seems silly to me but it's their money. Oh, and "let the conspiracy theories begin," wrt that handover.

2. I have more flexible hours. The 8 to 5 is killing me--peak dream-time is early morning for me. Looking at 9 to 5 or 10-6. :) So long as they're "consistent", they say they don't care.

3. From now until we hire the MS-drone, I migrate into a new position which we might call "Content Manager", where I basically manage content, look and feel of all interfaces, inside the firewall and out. This would include me writing tech specs and requirements docs, only trusting the programmer to implement my architecture. I would then have both architectural and layout-level control over apps, relegating the boring stuff to the new guy.

All in all, it sounds reasonable. I said I'd decide by the end of the day.

Edit: changed "report" to "port again".

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
Expand Edited by tseliot June 11, 2003, 11:14:52 AM EDT
New A lot can happen in two years...
If everything you have rewritten is running flawlessly, they may have a harder time justifying another rewrite in two years.

Non-profit, right? So I would suspect they're getting a deal from the rep, and are needing new licenses for Office or whatever now... penny-wise, pound-foolish.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New <spooky homer>e - xaaaa - ctlyyyy</spooky homer>
"flawlessly", yes, "benchmarked" as well, I think. Plus the requirements docs will have specifications which the Python code will mysteriously meet...

Non-profit, yes. It's not about deals, so much, as it is about higher-ups who have been sold on the MS Way, with respect to risk, support models, etc. Heck, we get Win2K server for $125, Office XP for $63/seat (which suggests to you all: start your own non-profit to buy home software: the org will own it, but by the time that's an issue, you'll have new software anyway).

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New In two years...
...Microsoft will probably be telling everyone that they need to upgrade to the new and improved .Rut technology because their trusted customers have found that .Net is flawed. Anyone using the old .Net standby languages of C# & VB.Net will be settling on old technology. :-)
New Number 3 seems like an idea from hell
Either the new guy is good, and he will hate to be given "boring stuff" only. Or he is bad, and you will hate your job managing an incompetent. In either case, much suffering will happen.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

New The fortunate part
...is I don't have to manage him/her. Just the project details. Managing the person (performance, etc.) is up to our team leader. And if they are willing to code in C#/VB.Net for pennies, I'm going to have to assume they *are* bad. ;)

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Explaining your clever ideas to a dolt
is not fun.
--

New I'll be your drone
I'll help you migrate from VB to VB dot NET. Beats what I'm doing now - collecting unemployment, trolling the job boards and seeing the same ads displayed in multiple places, all asking for 2 years experience on stuff my past employers never used.

Can I telecommute? You can even set me up with a machine that is pure non-MS if you so desire. I won't be offended...honest! Anything to get my foot in the door doing something valuable.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Appreciated and interested, but...
...we won't have the budget, etc. for that position ready until 2005. Plus it's probably going to be $35k/yr (missionaries, go figure). Plus I *want* to move everything to Python first; then "they" can hack it up in a re-port.

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Re: Different time, same bat-channel.
What's with all this ultra-serious gamesmanship? This isn't Enron, it's a non-profit with a religious backing.
-drl
New Tangentially worked on some stuff for...
...American Heart Association years ago. My feel for it was that politics in this non-profit were higher than most commercial corps. Being a non-profit doesn't mean there aren't feifdoms to be grown and protected - it just changes the playground with slightly different carrots and sticks.
New Not to mentioned some very well paid corporate officers.
Alex

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life." -- Eric Hoffer
New Serious disagreements produce serious behaviors.
I would say the fact that it's a non-profit with a religious backing is the only reason I'm still here; they didn't have to counter-propose. Even the board member who's pushing .Net on us is a "big fan" of me, and wants me to stay on. Guess I'd say it's serious *because* it's religious--more is at stake than profit, multiple conflicting goals have to be weighed, often without the cut-and-dried economic metrics of the for-profit (and much of the non-profit) world.

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Bingo.
As well said as that is... It even applies in the Educational sector of Non-Profit.

Sad to say that people are all about "making" themselves non-expendable. If, and I mean if, I were a President or Board Member of said non-profit, and I saw these kinds of actions, I'd, well, make sure that there was as much pressure as possible on that person that is not able to be delegated. Then see how long they last.

The whole reason this IT industry is in such twist is these kinds of things. Even in For-Profit it's like this.

[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
The time has come for you to take the last step.
You must love THEM.
It is not enough to obey THEM.
You must love THEM.

PEACE BEGETS WAR, SLAVERY IS FREEDOM, STRENGTH IN IGNORANCE.
     Shafted by the Beast - (tseliot) - (20)
         Be careful about burning bridges, Bob. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Extremely careful. :) - (tseliot)
         Ugh. - (admin)
         Serious question - (drewk)
         Ridiculous, fubared, insane, idiotic -NT - (deSitter)
         You're a gentleman and a scholar, Sir. - (Arkadiy)
         Different time, same bat-channel. - (tseliot) - (13)
             A lot can happen in two years... - (admin) - (2)
                 <spooky homer>e - xaaaa - ctlyyyy</spooky homer> - (tseliot)
                 In two years... - (ChrisR)
             Number 3 seems like an idea from hell - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                 The fortunate part - (tseliot) - (1)
                     Explaining your clever ideas to a dolt - (Arkadiy)
             I'll be your drone - (lincoln) - (1)
                 Appreciated and interested, but... - (tseliot)
             Re: Different time, same bat-channel. - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Tangentially worked on some stuff for... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                     Not to mentioned some very well paid corporate officers. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 Serious disagreements produce serious behaviors. - (tseliot) - (1)
                     Bingo. - (folkert)

Enjoy your amazement.
131 ms