IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Self?
I'm already getting angry looks from both co-workers and certain of my friends for voicing concern over the (further) erosion of civil liberties that the government will likely enact in response for the attack. It goes like this:
  1. The government HAS to do this to keep us safe, and to combat terrorism.
  2. If you aren't with the program, you're anti-government.

3. If you're anti-government, you're anti-American

4. If you're anti-American, you're pro-terrorist

Ugh.

I've tried to combat this by stating that our civil liberties, our rights, are what make the US a special place in the world, and that if the government takes away those rights, we'll be nothing special - and the terrorists will have ultimately won. SO far, that's been quieting them.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Ultimately all censorship...
...is self-censorship.

This is just the first wave of intimidation.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Until the point at which your are 'silenced'. Permanently.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New That you have to *explain* such things..
indicates how ignorant do many folk remain, of world history, our history - and what might be Worth dying for, on occasion.

We may hope that your reminder produced a lull of the sort, Oh yeah!.. I forgot for a moment and not, Huh? never thought of That..

A.
New Unfortunately
Huh? never thought of That

is the more common of the positive responses.

I was told last night that the FBI would never use abridgements of our rights against 'real' Americans.

I was also told that central, federal, and absolute authority was going to be (by nature) less corrupt than elected local authority.

I was also told that indefinite detention of many was acceptable as long as they got a guilty few, because those guilty few could harm many.

We are watching the true death of US ideals, my friends. I begin to despair.

Imric's Tips for Living
New To the extent that your sample is representative
of the self-worshipping yuppie class du jour (?) all ignorant of all things not-me:

Thou sayest.

A.

What fools these Murican mortals be..
Puck - the 2001 Dude
New Use the football analogy
We have a worldwide football game going on. Everything that happens that does anything to diminish the American way of life sores points for the Other Side. Anything we do to diminish the threat of terrorism without diminishing the American way of life scores points for Us.

The terror attack on the WTC was a touchdown, a 2-point PAT, and a recovered on-side kick run in for another touchdown. 15 points for the Bad Guys

Calmly, but determinedly declaring war on terrorism, backing that declaration with calculated action, getting the vast majority of countries to publicly support that action: touchdown and PAT...7 points for the good guys

The work done at ground-zero, the volunteerism, donations of time, money, and materiel (and blood!) by Americans of all stripes: field goal...10 points for the Good Guys.

Ashcroft et al even sponsoring a bill that would allow detention of anybody..."just 'cuz" is a field goal for the Forces of Darkness: 18 points for the Bad Guys.

Current score: Bad Guys, 18...Good Guys 10.
End of first quarter (but its still early...)

Even the "America, love it or leave it" crowd and understand and appreciate a footbal analogy...
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New *grin* I like it!

Imric's Tips for Living
     The Crackdown has Started. - (inthane-chan) - (18)
         Where's the crackdown? - (bbronson) - (12)
             The Crackdown of Self-Censorship. - (inthane-chan) - (11)
                 Sample today on NPR - - (Ashton)
                 Self? - (imric) - (7)
                     Ultimately all censorship... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Until the point at which your are 'silenced'. Permanently. -NT - (imric)
                     That you have to *explain* such things.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Unfortunately - (imric) - (1)
                             To the extent that your sample is representative - (Ashton)
                     Use the football analogy - (jb4) - (1)
                         *grin* I like it! -NT - (imric)
                 Re: The Crackdown of Self-Censorship. - (bbronson) - (1)
                     Okay, that was a little bit over the line. - (inthane-chan)
         My response? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
             I have been villified, aplauded, beaten and cheered - (boxley)
             Well, I'm with ya on that one. - (marlowe) - (2)
                 To quote Hobbes... - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                     That's a bet you'd lose. - (marlowe)

It's Zeus. He's taking you away to the Acropolis.
93 ms