IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Repository based development ...
is a different paradigm which takes getting used to. It definately has it's drawbacks, it is harder to transport code to another machine. The truth is, these days very few Smalltalk developers really rely on the image, instead they have their application in Envy and then load it into a clean image. What bothers me about Java development tools is the lack of a good class browser. I have used or use Netbeans, Eclipse, JBuilder and none of them offered the classic class browser like Smalltalk. I find that it is much easier to understand the system when you can easily browse the class hierarchy.
New Class browsers...
I use Mozilla. It's sufficient for my needs, and I doubt that any tool is going to make my development easier or faster than the combination of Mozilla and emacs.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I've recently become enamored of Whisker
which is a nifty browser for Squeak.

Part of what I like about it is the way it integrates with changesets to let me click my way back through revisions in the editor. So I'm less fearful of making changes because its so easy to revert. It also lets you put lots of little method editors in panes in the window making it easy to reference code from somewhere else while editing your method.

I could maybe even give up vi for it. :-)

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
New There's your problem...
In comparison to vi, anything looks good. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New OK, I'll bite...How do you browse classes using Moz?
(This damn thing is starting to remind me of the old Saturday Night Live skit: " Its a floor wax! No, Its a dessert topping!...".)
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New Re: OK, I'll bite...How do you browse classes using Moz?
[link|http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/|http://java.sun.com/...jdk/1.2/docs/api/]

I have javadocs for the local system too, all hyperlinked to the main sun.com docs.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New A-comma-ha!
You're talking about the java hierarchy, not the hierarchy of the app written in java.

I get it....
jb4
"We continue to live in a world where all our know-how is locked into binary files in an unknown format. If our documents are our corporate memory, Microsoft still has us all condemned to Alzheimer's."
Simon Phipps, SUN Microsystems
New No.
I have the same sort of documentation for the app hierarchy on a shared drive here where all the developers can see it.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Not exactly the same as a Smalltalk class browser
for one you can't see the source code. You also can't take a method and find all the senders etc.
New Nope. you're right.
But it's sufficient for my needs. Between that and emacs, I'd wager I program as quickly as I can anyway.
Regards,

-scott anderson

Comparison of Gemstone/S and J2EE App Servers - (bluke) - (18)
         J2EE is crrrrap. -NT - (admin)
         Did you work at TimeWarner too? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             I worked at NYNEX ... - (bluke)
             JDO vs. Entity Beans - (bluke)
         Gemstone > rollsroyce; J2EE == Model-T - (dmarker) - (13)
             Things may be changing ... - (bluke)
             Why do you like Java? - (bluke) - (11)
                 Same reasons, plus one more: - (admin) - (10)
                     Repository based development ... - (bluke) - (9)
                         Class browsers... - (admin) - (8)
                             I've recently become enamored of Whisker - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 There's your problem... - (admin)
                             OK, I'll bite...How do you browse classes using Moz? - (jb4) - (5)
                                 Re: OK, I'll bite...How do you browse classes using Moz? - (admin) - (4)
                                     A-comma-ha! - (jb4) - (1)
                                         No. - (admin)
                                     Not exactly the same as a Smalltalk class browser - (bluke) - (1)
                                         Nope. you're right. - (admin)

Laugh it up, fuzzball.
71 ms