IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Did you work at TimeWarner too?
Because I did the same thing - residential telephone service order entry in VisualWorks in Denver.

VWIW, there's a free Gemstone wannabe called Magma written in Squeak. Its pretty cool and the source is available.

The J2EE people have just recently admitted that their persistence model is shit. Thus, we now have the new JDO specifications that are taking a shot at OR mapping the right way. But of course, the stupid limitations of their type system are killing them. Same as it killed CORBA (which had a shot at being cool - but the C++ stub/proxy code generation made it a dozen times more complex than it needed to be).

A better example is NextStep's PDO (Portable Distributed Objects) which provided object relocation, remote invocation, but no persistence.

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
New I worked at NYNEX ...
which became Bell Atlantic which is now Verizon. I worked on an order entry system for large Centrex customers.

After working there for a year as a consultant, I am amazed that the phones in NY work as well as they do. The NYNYEX employees did nothing all day, the consultants did all the work, the NYNEX employees pushed papers all day. The VP in charge of my division was the ultimate PHB. Last but not least, the unions ruled the place. One of the people I worked with told me a funny story. When he was working in customer service on the way back from his lunchbreak he went to the bathroom. Next thing he knows, the union rep is screaming at him "Don't piss on your time, piss on their time". The union rep explained that since the contract allowed for x number of bathroom breaks during the workday he should use them and not go to the bathroom on his time (e.g. lunch) but rather, hold it in until his shift started and then use his bathroom break.
New JDO vs. Entity Beans
I was recently at a Java event and you could see the tension between the JDO proponents and Entity Beans proponents. The JDO guys don't say it explicitly but basically their message is who needs Entity Beans which doesn't sit well with the EJB guys.

How did J2EE go so wrong with their persistence model? From what I understand IBM had a big role in the J2EE spec and they should know this stuff with all their work on Smalltalk. In fact, I still haven't figured out why IBM jumped so hard on the Java bandwagon when they were one of only 2 major players in the Smalltalk market. I guess, after their experience with OS/2 (the superior product losing out to an inferior hyped product) they figured that they should back Java and make a bundle on consulting services when all the Java projects need help.
     Comparison of Gemstone/S and J2EE App Servers - (bluke) - (18)
         J2EE is crrrrap. -NT - (admin)
         Did you work at TimeWarner too? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             I worked at NYNEX ... - (bluke)
             JDO vs. Entity Beans - (bluke)
         Gemstone > rollsroyce; J2EE == Model-T - (dmarker) - (13)
             Things may be changing ... - (bluke)
             Why do you like Java? - (bluke) - (11)
                 Same reasons, plus one more: - (admin) - (10)
                     Repository based development ... - (bluke) - (9)
                         Class browsers... - (admin) - (8)
                             I've recently become enamored of Whisker - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 There's your problem... - (admin)
                             OK, I'll bite...How do you browse classes using Moz? - (jb4) - (5)
                                 Re: OK, I'll bite...How do you browse classes using Moz? - (admin) - (4)
                                     A-comma-ha! - (jb4) - (1)
                                         No. - (admin)
                                     Not exactly the same as a Smalltalk class browser - (bluke) - (1)
                                         Nope. you're right. - (admin)

If she weighs the same as a duck...
128 ms