Without seeing it - though maybe it'll float around on someone's DVD in due course - your desc. sounds like what I would have bet on. All these alleged 'visionary' flics, when they reach the $400M/flic purse-size, dance around the concept of Reality and obtusely / also ever-so Popularly / maybe inevitably..

Lack the wit or courage to make manifest that which is obvious to anyone more than casually interested in *THAT* concept, and who comes to realize that We Don't Know Shit about THAT! and are unlikely even to more than glimpse a taste (especially anyone who has never experienced silence).

Nope, they'd rather do coffee table Explorations of the same old same old tawdry imaginations, like in those Other Big Books that seem to work, for centuries at a time.
BS; More of the Same, Piled higher and Deeper.

{Yawn} - it's Disneyland with code-snips; nothing to see here. Move --> On.
'Reboot' -?- My Ass. It ain't even a warm-boot, except to one's Intelligence. 'Nother car chase and Action-itis for Its Own juvenile Sake\ufffd

Ashton
Radio was infinitely superior; you Had to use your own mind and experience, not just connect up yer optical IV and consume like a tick. I miss the rebroadcasts on local NPR, of some of the good stuff - Harlan Ellison was Em Cee IIRC. The Marching Morons? was one. "Science Fiction Theater" maybe title - time to write and bug PBS/NPR. Stay silent and they think nobody is listening ... like everywhere else. That one ceased over a year ago, along with Daniel Pinkwater's wonderful "tales" for kids/Adults. :(