IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Another question
Yes, I think we can lose the parallel port, but the hard-interrupt mouse and keyboard are essential IMO. I think you want the keyboard with the highest priority interrupt. I was rather disappointed with my USB Trackpoint keyboard.

-drl
New Well, I see quite the opposite.
I am getting better response and tacitile feel from my USB mice and keyboard. Yes, Mice. I have a standard three button M$ optical wheel mouse for gaming and a Kensington Orbit for everything else.

The Keyboard I use is a "Memorex" spill-proof USB keyboard. I have gone to Spill-proof keyboards as a matter of course, mainly my 16 year-old and now 10 year old have roached quite a few already... accidentally. $12 at Best-Buy on sale. $19.95 when not.

Summary, USB Mice and Keyboards are VERY VERY zippy. Better than hard Interruptted ones. Proven, even recently with me typing in a gabber session with a PS/2 keyboard... it gabber sometimes has 4 second pause on my typing when using the PS/2 keyboard. USB Keyboard... haven't had narry a pause yet.

[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]

THEY ARE WATCHING YOU.
The time has come for you to take the last step.
You must love THEM.
It is not enough to obey THEM.
You must love THEM.

PEACE BEGETS WAR, SLAVERY IS FREEDOM, STRENGTH IN IGNORANCE.
New Re: Well, I see quite the opposite.
I am getting better response and tacitile feel from my USB mice and keyboard. Yes, Mice. I have a standard three button M$ optical wheel mouse for gaming and a Kensington Orbit for everything else.

The Keyboard I use is a "Memorex" spill-proof USB keyboard. I have gone to Spill-proof keyboards as a matter of course, mainly my 16 year-old and now 10 year old have roached quite a few already... accidentally. $12 at Best-Buy on sale. $19.95 when not.

Hmmm I don't know what keyboard and mouse I actually have. I know the mouse is an optical MS mouse but I don't know what port it uses. And I know the keyboard is a standard Windows one, but I don't know what it is either. I do know that the monitor is a Viewsonic A-70 and I love it. :) My mouse and keyboard do fine for me, so I guess I'm happy. We used the same ones Andrei was using. (And monitor and speakers).

Nightowl >8#
"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New Re: Well, I see quite the opposite.
Well, I had a lot of trouble getting USB hotplugging to work right on my Thinkpad under 2.4.18 - I haven't had time to look at 2.4.20, but I will.

One nice thing about my USB kbd - it has a light-year long cord, so I can surf in glorious repose, with being hunkered over the machine.
-drl
New I agree with you on this, for both mouse and keyboard
I tried USB (my current mouse is a usb with an adaptor to ps/2) and found that the response was a lot slower.

Since I'm a SCSI addict, so giving up two interrupts to my primary means of interfacing with the computer doesn't have huge evil ramifications for me.

USB is very good for some stuff; the new MSD drivers coming out for OS/2 mean that mass storage devices like cameras, thumb drives, etc, are all working quite nicely, and for those sorts of things USB is an excellent interface. Now if only we could get some good firewire stuff happening ....
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New I differ.
You all know that I'm a gamer. Good mouse response is vital to my computing happiness.

USB beats the pants off PS/2 in my humble O. Smoother, sharper.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
     Describing the innards of Nikolai :) (For anyone interested) - (Nightowl) - (26)
         One question. - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Got a recommendation for a graphics card? - (hnick) - (2)
                 Depends what you want. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Sound good. - (hnick)
             Re: One question. - (Nightowl)
         Another question - (pwhysall) - (20)
             What about... - (folkert) - (2)
                 Agreed. - (pwhysall)
                 Re: What about... - (Nightowl)
             Re: Another question - (deSitter) - (5)
                 Well, I see quite the opposite. - (folkert) - (2)
                     Re: Well, I see quite the opposite. - (Nightowl)
                     Re: Well, I see quite the opposite. - (deSitter)
                 I agree with you on this, for both mouse and keyboard - (jake123) - (1)
                     I differ. - (pwhysall)
             Re: Another question - (Nightowl) - (10)
                 USB Printers - (orion) - (9)
                     Re: USB Printers - (Nightowl) - (8)
                         Re: USB Printers - (orion) - (7)
                             Re: USB Printers - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                 The primary concern with parallel - (Steven A S) - (5)
                                     Re: The primary concern with parallel - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                         Older parallel printers don't use IRQs . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         IRQs - (Steven A S) - (2)
                                             Re: IRQs - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                 Re: IRQs - (Nightowl)

This looks like the output of a Markov bot that's been fed bus timetables from a city where the buses crash constantly.
79 ms