IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Physics Question
If you drop a superball from a radio tower onto the hardest concrete known to Man, how high will it bounce?

Oh well.
-drl

(Dm - 2Am)(Rmn + 1/2gmn R + 1/2Fmn) = 0
New superballs
...a new technology (from the Wham-o Corp., better known as the makers of Frisbee) in 1964. I purchased one at age twelve from the local dimestore ("Grant's," a long-vanished chain) and, walking home bouncing the thing along a heavily-travelled boulevard, contrived accidentally to direct it into the street, where it was struck by a bumper and vanished from sight.

nostalgically,

[edit: amend infelicities]
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 18, 2003, 11:33:01 AM EDT
New doing the math :-)
and looking at your picture I suspect you are elder by 3 years. Will have to get a scanner one of these days and put some of my old stuff up.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Carpe Dieu
New Re: doing the math :-)
looking at your picture I suspect you are elder by 3 years

Older--not, of course, necessarily wiser. I did grow up thinking that, notwithstanding the evidence of my own parents, grownups as a class somehow had it figured out, and that in the fullness of time I, too, would come into my inheritance, this knowledge, this self-assurance, this certainty that I knew how the world was wired. Probably before I was thirty it had dawned on me intellectually that the grownups were in fact making it up as they went along, and that each generation invented the wheel, but I believe I made it all the way to my early thirties before this awful conclusion finally resonated in my gut.

ruefully,

[edit: semi-current pic returned after much-appreciated time off; 1971 pic returned to hibernation]
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 17, 2003, 11:57:59 PM EDT
New Such wisdom in one so young :-)

Some sayings (LRPDs?)

The more I learn, the less I know.

Someone who 'knows it all', does so because of so little learned.

In a world of knowledge, each answer given will pose many more questions.

Cheers

Doug Marker

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
New Heh.
F = ma. The superball will have reached terminal velocity by the time it hits the ground, so it will have acceleration = 0. Therefore, it'll stick like well-lubed Juicyfruit.

:D

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New To the Moon! (Image enclosed)
I think the rubber will eventually shatter if it hits something with high enough velocity, but I don't know if its terminal velocity in the atmosphere is high enough.

If you're tricky, you can send a Superball to the Moon (if reality follows the ideal physics)! [link|http://www.physics.gla.ac.uk/~kskeldon/PubSci/exhibits/D12/|Here]:

There are a number of physical concepts, such as transfer between kinetic and potential energy and momentum conservation, that can be demonstrated using bouncy rubber balls. One of the most popular is the superball bounce, where two or more superballs are dropped from a height one on top of the other. The result after the collision with the floor is quite surprising. If two balls are dropped simultaneously, one on top of the other, so that the top ball is much lighter that the bottom, then on collision with the floor the top ball will shoot up to a height much greater than the original dropping distance. This will work well when the ratio of the balls' masses is about five or more. Theoretically, if the ratio of the masses is infinite, then the lighter ball should reach exactly nine times the height of release.

[image|http://www.physics.gla.ac.uk/~kskeldon/PubSci/exhibits/D12/super.gif|0|Superball Bounce|383|685]

If seven balls are dropped from a height of 1km above the earth's surface, then the top ball attains a velocity greater than the escape velocity of the earth and will hit the moon!

Emphasis added.

Cheers,
Scott.
New College trick
Take a large superball, one of the ones about three inches across. Get a new pencil, cut of the eraser just below the ferrule, and sharpen both ends. Insert one end into the superball just enough that when you hold the pencil the ball doesn't fall off. Drop this in a room with an acoustic-tile cieling.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
     Money Question - (deSitter) - (19)
         Dunno, but just in case - WTF were you thinking... - (CRConrad)
         If they bounce - (jbrabeck) - (2)
             Re: If they bounce - (deSitter) - (1)
                 His bank bounces it back to your bank. - (jbrabeck)
         you are entitled to deposit anything you wish - (boxley) - (1)
             Box's advice seems to be the best by far -NT - (dmarker)
         They WILL bounce - (broomberg)
         Not sure about in the US. - (static) - (1)
             Econ-LRPD: Jung would have wanted it this way. -NT - (Ashton)
         Talk to your banker about it - (orion)
         Physics Question - (deSitter) - (7)
             superballs - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 doing the math :-) - (boxley) - (2)
                     Re: doing the math :-) - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Such wisdom in one so young :-) - (dmarker)
             Heh. - (tseliot)
             To the Moon! (Image enclosed) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 College trick - (drewk)
         Current eBay fraud trick - (tuberculosis)

Did I already say great googly moogly?
50 ms