IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Now I have never been to Iraq but have visited the
Maybe they think thumbs up is offensive over here? Kind of like if an Arab made a big show of raising his heel to you, you'd be offended....

Plus you were a dirty American.
New I might be a dirty american
but at least I have seen more countries than most. Clue by four taco bell isnt representative of hispanic cuisine.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Since corporations are the equivelent of human but they have no "concience" they are by definition sociopaths
New Re: taco bell isnt representative?
How can that be? They use a chiuaua mascot! :)

Ai, caramba!
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New I would interpret the thumbs up as OK. Some variations:

In Iraq they will insult your moustache.

'Curse be upon your moustache'

Funnily, as kids in New Zealand we used to yell 'poo to your letterbox' as an insult. I haven't heard that one since other than in items about the past (left NZ at age 6).

The V sign (as we have discussed some months back) has two ways of doing it and two distinct meanings. With the inside of the fingers facing you and your fingers slightly bent, it is a pommie way of saying 'get f***ed' and derives from when about 2000 british longbowmen slaughtered 7000 Frenchmen at Agincourt in the 15th century. After that the French when capturing English longbowmen would cut off those 2 fingers (string pulling ones) so when a Brit showed those two fingers it was his way of saying 'you are done for (or f***ed)'.

The other V sign is when the fingers are held stiff and the backs of them are to you (the V signee). This came from Winston Churchill and meant V for Victory. In Japan people (esp the young) use the sign a lot to mean 'Peace and Happiness'.

I don't have any explanation for the origin of the middle finger salute. I am not sure where it eminated but I know its intent <grin>.

As for the thumb sign. In England it was always used as a sign of solidarity, in Australia, as a "she'll be right mate". i.e. Everything is going OK.

Now then, we have the 2 fingers (the pointing fingers) crossed, we take that to mean bad or evil or 'the devil'.

The V signs and thumbs up I saw in the news reports struck me as very positive signs of support.

Cheers

Doug Marker

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
New Who are you, and what have you done with dmarker?
New Meaning ??? (please don't get mystical like Box does) <g>

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
     60 minutes on Iraq - (boxley) - (17)
         Re: 60 minutes on Iraq - (cybermace5) - (6)
             Latest videos we had from Umm Qasar so much better - (dmarker)
             RTFineM - (altmann) - (3)
                 So far I've seen conflicting statements - (cybermace5) - (2)
                     why dont you try a human source? - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: why dont you try a human source? - (cybermace5)
             Food mystery - missing supplies - (tablizer)
         That guy bopping Saddam's poster on the nose with his shoe? - (Another Scott) - (9)
             interesting note, the reporter had an Iraqi who - (boxley)
             Re: That guy bopping Saddam's poster on the nose with his sh - (cybermace5) - (7)
                 Now I have never been to Iraq but have visited the - (boxley) - (6)
                     Re: Now I have never been to Iraq but have visited the - (cybermace5) - (5)
                         I might be a dirty american - (boxley) - (1)
                             Re: taco bell isnt representative? - (a6l6e6x)
                         I would interpret the thumbs up as OK. Some variations: - (dmarker) - (2)
                             Who are you, and what have you done with dmarker? -NT - (cybermace5) - (1)
                                 Meaning ??? (please don't get mystical like Box does) <g> -NT - (dmarker)

Why does this guitar smell like CHEESE?!?
46 ms