IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Question for Chess goobs. (See admin, I found it!)
I'd avoid any book from beyond say 1950 - let's say the Bronstein-Botvinnik match. Learn from the strategical masters - Capablanca and Lasker - and the tactical masters - Alekhine and Marshall (NOT Fischer - yet).Fred Reinfeld "Complete Chess Course" - a big tome but enough to get started on the right foot.

After that, Ruben Fine, "The Middle Game in Chess".

Co-reading - Rubinstein's games, annotated by him, for how to play rook endgames.

The game collections of Capablanca, Lasker, and Alekhine - and Marshall. It will require years to get up to 1950. Don't ruin it for yourself by starting at the end.

Don't try to understand Indian defenses until you know how center games work. That is, learn about the Ruy Lopez and other king pawn openings (avoid the Sicilian at first) and the Queen's Gambit Declined ONLY for queen's pawn. I say all this because the "Indian" defenses (bishop in front of knight 1) are easier to botch.
-drl
New Thanks Ross. Mucho appreciated.
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
     Question for Chess goobs. (See admin, I found it!) - (mmoffitt) - (3)
         Re: Question for Chess goobs. (See admin, I found it!) - (deSitter) - (1)
             Thanks Ross. Mucho appreciated. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Question for Chess goobs. (See admin, I found it!) - (rickw)

Paranoimia!
31 ms