IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What occurs to me --
The pilots have the ability to pop the oxy masks and depressurize the airplane.

Why not?

They have their own (independent) supplemental oxygen, so there's no air safety implications. Of course this depends on having a door that gives at least a few moments' time delay; or somebody else giving them a few moments.

It doesn't take long -- 2-3 minutes in my experience -- for anoxia to put just about anybody down. People sitting in the seats would have their masks; but anybody wandering about the aisles would be in deep trouble. They could, of course, grab a mask from somebody, whereupon they're tethered.

Not perfect -- the terrorists could carry supplemental oxygen of their own. Of course, the cylinder would be moderately prominent, even on the current security x-ray machines, and might cause Questions To Be Asked.

And of course there's a danger to emphysemics, heart patients, etc., but if the alternative is that everybody dies for sure, why not try it?
Regards,
Ric
New Re: What occurs to me --
Better yet, you could flood the passenger area with sleeping gas. Passenger oxygen masks too. Gas mask would be hard to conceal. Keep them all knocked out until the FBI boards.
Ray
New Problem with such methods...
...is that it also makes it easy for a terrorist to subdue the passengers if they happen to get at the controls in fairly short before the crew can react, thus depriving the passengers of putting up a resistance.
     A Modest Proposal - (gdaustin) - (12)
         But it's a start - (wharris2)
         Somewhat more modest - (Ric Locke) - (1)
             Cheaper Than Air Marshals? - (gdaustin)
         Fly Naked - (altmann)
         Archie Bunker beat you to it. - (marlowe)
         Not so impossible - (rsf) - (6)
             I've heard counterpoints - (wharris2) - (5)
                 Re: I've heard counterpoints - (rsf) - (4)
                     What occurs to me -- - (Ric Locke) - (2)
                         Re: What occurs to me -- - (rsf) - (1)
                             Problem with such methods... - (ChrisR)
                     Words from a Pilot - (gdaustin)