IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ooooo, 1812 Overture...
During my lone year as a member of the real Longhorn Band (alto sax), for the week that we did our show with the Longhorn Alumni Band, we played the 1812 Overture. During practice week, we had the campus Army ROTC bring out a Howitzer to the stadium for practice. The plan was to have them fire the Howitzer during halftime with (as it turned out) 999 instruments on the field, and 78.009 (capcity for Memorial Stadium at the time -- it's since been expanded) people in the stadium. Unfortunately, the Austin Fire Marshal as well as the stadium officers were worried that the glass along the press boxes and the really expen$ive $eat$ wouldn't withstand all those Howitzer blasts in the stadium.

Not to mention that the poor piccolos on the side of the field closest to the Howitzer themselves would likely have been hard of hearing after that. ;-)
-YendorMike, who knows how to tune two piccolos.

Shoot one.

In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New Err... QED?_________________(ducts er, ducks!)
New Re: Ooooo, 1812 Overture...
If you're in Victoria in early August I highly recommend attending the [link|http://www.victorialodging.com/victoria/symphony_splash.htm|Symphony Splash] concert. Canons, carillon bells and fireworks... Wheeee...

I've attended a couple of times. Truly an outstanding experience. Oh, and the cautions about the glass are right on the mark. It's very impressive when the canons are firing on one side of the harbour and the windows on the other side are doing a fandango....

Have fun,

Carl Forde
New Wow, cool
That looks like TONS of fun. I'm going to have to check that out some year. Not this year, but maybe sometime in the future.

My friends in Seattle have been notified. :)
-YendorMike

New Glad they rescued your hearing
And there are few experiences as unforgettable as playing in a marching (or sitting!) band - especially for.. long enough to experience the possibilities. Solos gratify the ego while teaching humility ;-) We cornet players Know..

Making music ever beats watching, though watching, listening is what most of us have to do unless - we are among the virtuosos! (But.. they also listen a lot)

Lucky you..

Ashton
New Re: Glad they rescued your hearing
And there are few experiences as unforgettable as playing in a marching (or sitting!) band

Aye. No argument here. Some of my fondest memories deal with band, either HS or college. Too much time spent together; too many bonding experiences shared.

We cornet players Know..

No comment.... ;-)

Making music ever beats watching, though watching, listening is what most of us have to do unless - we are among the virtuosos! (But.. they also listen a lot)

That's about all I do anymore, except for the one day every couple years that I make the pilgrimage back to Austin to take part in the Longhorn Alumni Band game.
-YendorMike

New This one time, in band camp....
-----
Steve
New Heh...
You may laugh, but I have some fond memories of band camp. Nothing to do with flutes and cats, however. ;-)
-YendorMike

New It's just that..
..ever since I saw that movie, and spewed coke out my nose laughing at that line, I haven't been able to NOT think about it when a conversation turns to band :-)

On another note (pun most definitely intended), my sister was in band from elementary school through college, and currently is 2nd chair Clarinet in the Denver Concert Band. Many times I was called on to help out with the driving, band booster activities, chaperoning, etc. It was fun.

Me? I play guitar, not really conducive to a marching band :)
-----
Steve
New There's always a mariachi band! :)
Alex
     Good riddance! - (qstephens) - (18)
         Thanks! - (a6l6e6x) - (17)
             Independance Day - (orion) - (16)
                 Drink and explosives - (mhuber) - (15)
                     "..the bombs bursting in air: - (Ashton) - (13)
                         The other connection... - (CrisR)
                         Ooooo, 1812 Overture... - (Yendor) - (9)
                             Err... QED?_________________(ducts er, ducks!) -NT - (Ashton)
                             Re: Ooooo, 1812 Overture... - (cforde) - (1)
                                 Wow, cool - (Yendor)
                             Glad they rescued your hearing - (Ashton) - (5)
                                 Re: Glad they rescued your hearing - (Yendor) - (4)
                                     This one time, in band camp.... -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                                         Heh... - (Yendor) - (2)
                                             It's just that.. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                 There's always a mariachi band! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Actually the Canadians have the biggest mall - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             on my honeymoon... - (cforde)
                     Problem - (deSitter)

With the mochas he was strong.
85 ms