IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Some questions.
My question is this. Is it not reasonable to expect to be able to sit online from say... 9:00 till about 12:30, and 1:00 till about 5:00 without these memory dropping issues? Because I used to could do this, and then last year, (I checked and the problem began sometime last March, getting worse about 3 months ago), it started disappearing rapidly. I could drop from 170M (this was when I had only 256M) to under 141M in less than an hour. The other day I dropped from 390M to under 245M in approximately a half hour. When I didn't have 500M, dropping that quickly, that low, caused major crashing.

My question is, should I be able to maintain those few things longer, or is it not feasible? Because what really confuses me is that some people leave their computers on ALL DAY and sometimes ALL NIGHT, and if reloading or staying connected, (which some do as well) eats memory on a usage basis (like a car using gas), why do those computers not run out of memory?

What happened "Back in March" and then "3 months ago"?

Windows has quite a few background processes running all the time. I have had my computer at work (one that I can't maintain) blue screen when I'm not even at my desk. FWIW to keep my work computer "clean", I reboot it daily.

Down to specifics. Do you have a process that is automatically started periodically? Such as a virus scanner? Or a program that launches gets your mail and exits? If so, and they don't free all memory correctly, then over time you would experience memory loss.

OT. Forgive any typos. My wife is sleeping and to keep her poodles quiet, I have two of them sitting on my lap.

Recommendation. Go back in you memory file (brain) and try to remember what was done back in March. What changes were made to the computer, what new programs added and/or what programw were changed. That should provide a logical starting point to find your memory leakage.

Good luck.

Edited. Removed request for windows version. Read "original thread" and found version. I always read new threads before going to old threads.
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@attbi.com|Joe]
Expand Edited by jbrabeck March 15, 2003, 08:54:55 AM EST
New Re: Some questions.
What happened "Back in March" and then "3 months ago"?

Hmm good idea. I checked my monthly letter archives, to see what was going on.

The biggest thing I see is that Yahoo converted its clubs to groups. I had been sitting onlin in clubs since March of 2001, Mostly on Affinity, with no problems, and then in March, Yahoo made this big conversion. I created my own Yahoo group, my clubs converted and I was now sitting online in groups. Clubs had ads, but groups greatly expanded the number of ads and extravagance of them.

Also because of the conversion, I attempted to be on my first "non-Yahoo" message board, which was the Affinity site in March. His site got hacked at least once, and crashed two other times, all while I was using it, one night it even crashed while I was posting on it.

Andrei started having serious memory issues right after these changes, from what I can tell in my letters... That was when we discovered McAfee Virus Scanner might be the problem, or some of it, and John disabled it, causing it not to run automatically in any fashion, only if he manually started it.

Andrei stabilized some at that point. He remained stable, more or less, crashing less, (I stopped monitoring memory at some point in April), until for some reason Andrei started to affect my TV signal, which he had never done before. We went out and bought an RFI reducer and hooked it up to him, but there wasn't much change. Oddly enough, the signal problem cleared up on it's own in a few days.

Also, in July, we had to finally download the new version of YIM, which proved difficult, and took many tries and finally was able to be downloaded. I disabled IM environments, because they slowed everything. And John installed Mozilla and helped me use Mozilla to rewrite code to get in the Yahoo chat rooms... (something I rarely do now, though.)

My printer went bonkers, started spewing ink and weird things, but it's had that problem periodically for some time. And, I joined my second really heavy traffic Yahoo group, the SWFC. I also learned to upload photos to Yahoo groups for the first time. And, he downloaded the new version of Opera, and this time we purchased it so there were no ads.

In September, I joined LighthouseBBS but it was too overwhelming for me as well as took a long time to load. In October we replaced the CPU fan, and then later that month, the power supply, because the fan was not running, and when it did, made noise. My mouse also started having problems, so we installed a new MS Optical Wheel mouse (which I'm still getting used to, LOL!).

In November, I officially "quit" Lighthouse, but the Sysop wouldn't delete me, so I'm still there. And we started having serious problems with Brick, our ISP. We switched to our alternate awhile, and I started looking for a new one.

In December, we got a new keyboard for Andrei, because mine was having problems. And I became a moderator on another "non-Yahoo" message site, Yo-Da Sisterhood.

In January (which would be about the three months ago), John got and installed Anytime Organizer, for me. It started staying on all the time the computer was. And we got a new ISP. It appears the memory issues actually began again in Early February, not January, I apologize, I guess that was two months ago. It was right after we discontinued service with Brick, and started the new local servce.

Andrei began crashing dramatically, as in the screen would lock up, not paint, the programs would not shut, and then he'd go to either a blue screen, or nothing, (what I call the black screen of death with arrows), and I would hace to cold reboot. We tried adding new memory on the 15th of Feb, the motherboard would not take it. So we ordered a motherboard and installed the Tyan Trinity 400 one on 24th, and it would not take the Radeon Card video card. As you know, from here, we finally got it to take the Radeon card, and I think that's up to date.

I added esheeps on the 12th of this month.

I know that might be more information than you need/want, but I don't know exactly what you are looking for, so... there it is. :)

Thanks for the idea of looking back.

Windows has quite a few background processes running all the time. I have had my computer at work (one that I can't maintain) blue screen when I'm not even at my desk. FWIW to keep my work computer "clean", I reboot it daily.

But I have to reboot three to four times a day, just to maintain enough memory to stay on.

Down to specifics. Do you have a process that is automatically started periodically? Such as a virus scanner? Or a program that launches gets your mail and exits? If so, and they don't free all memory correctly, then over time you would experience memory loss.

I explained about the virus scanner, and Eudora is not supposed to be getting mail, so John says if we have any automatic processes now, he doesn't know about them.

OT. Forgive any typos. My wife is sleeping and to keep her poodles quiet, I have two of them sitting on my lap.

Recommendation. Go back in you memory file (brain) and try to remember what was done back in March. What changes were made to the computer, what new programs added and/or what programw were changed. That should provide a logical starting point to find your memory leakage.

Thanks I hope I outlined that above, from my written records. I keep good records of everything in my life. :)

Nightowl >8#
"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New Have you checked your swap space?
Hi,

Sorry if you've already covered this...

But I have to reboot three to four times a day, just to maintain enough memory to stay on.

Something to remember is that if Win9x says something about "Not Enough Memory" - it's not talking about RAM. It's talking about a few heaps of 64 kB of RAM that lives below the 640 kB boundary. Having 300 MB free won't help you if those bits of RAM are being gobbled up and not being freed. Some apps with lots of buttons and fancy do-dads are notorious for grabbing too much of those bits of memory. Run the utility that comes with Win9x that tells you about your "System Resources". You need to keep an eye on the User and Graphics (?) resources. If they get below about 20% free, you're going to have problems.

If you're having problems with your RAM getting consumed, then the following applies:

Windows gets cranky if its swap file (win386.swp) gets fragmented or if the partition where it puts is swap file gets too full.

Win2k at work was randomly locking up for me until I started making sure I always had at least 200 MB free on the swap partition and defragmented the disk every night. Since then, I've not had a problem.

Have you checked to see how much disk space you have free on your system? Have you defragmented your hard disk recently?

This won't solve your memory leaking problem, but it might make your system run better.

Even with a memory leak, your system should be OK up until the swap file gets badly fragmented and/or the partition where the swap file is gets nearly full.

Also, make sure you clean out the \\windows\\temp directory of old temporary files.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Have you checked your swap space?

Something to remember is that if Win9x says something about "Not Enough Memory" - it's not talking about RAM. It's talking about a few heaps of 64 kB of RAM that lives below the 640 kB boundary. Having 300 MB free won't help you if those bits of RAM are being gobbled up and not being freed. Some apps with lots of buttons and fancy do-dads are notorious for grabbing too much of those bits of memory. Run the utility that comes with Win9x that tells you about your "System Resources". You need to keep an eye on the User and Graphics (?) resources. If they get below about 20% free, you're going to have problems.

Okay, I only got a message from Windows ONCE, saying "Not enough resources". For the most part, I know the used up RAM is increasing because I see the number drop on the System Monitor, and now the Tweak Ram.

We can't seem to find a User & Graphics resource on the System Monitor stuff with Win98. Does it have some other name? There does not appear to be that utility on here.

Windows gets cranky if its swap file (win386.swp) gets fragmented or if the partition where it puts is swap file gets too full.

John checked the Swap File and we have 764 Maximum, and we're only using 105 at this moment of it. I'm running Eudora, Opera, Yahoo, two groups, and NHL in the slot with Media Player, (listening to the live Penguin game) and Messenger right now.

Have you checked to see how much disk space you have free on your system? Have you defragmented your hard disk recently?

John says we have not defragmented it lately, we'll do that also.

This won't solve your memory leaking problem, but it might make your system run better.

Also, make sure you clean out the \\windows\\temp directory of old temporary files.

We'll look at that too. Thanks. :)

Nightowl >8#
Linda Ellerbee
New Windows Resource Meter: c:\\windows\\rsrcmtr.exe
More info on Win9x "resources" is [link|http://www.windows-help.net/techfiles/win-resources.html|here].

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Windows Resource Meter: c:\\windows\\rsrcmtr.exe
More info on Win9x "resources" is [link|http://www.windows-help.net/techfiles/win-resources.html|here].

Hope this helps. Good luck.

It did! Thanks!!!

Nightowl >8#

Linda Ellerbee
     Questions about the Process of elimination. - (Nightowl) - (9)
         Excellent questions. - (Silverlock) - (7)
             Re: Excellent questions. - (Nightowl) - (6)
                 Some questions. - (jbrabeck) - (5)
                     Re: Some questions. - (Nightowl) - (4)
                         Have you checked your swap space? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Re: Have you checked your swap space? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                 Windows Resource Meter: c:\\windows\\rsrcmtr.exe - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Re: Windows Resource Meter: c:\\windows\\rsrcmtr.exe - (Nightowl)
         Help, another question about process of elimination? (new thread) - (Nightowl)

Its superficial lower whole number is belongs to us!
47 ms