IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that
I am aware of what the E-Sheep program is, little sheep run around the screen, climb on windows, etc.

Is there anything else running in the background? Anti-Virus, screen savers, Norton Windoctor, etc? Anti-Virus programs like Norton AV can slow a system down and eat up memory, but not like that.

I have 98SE with 128M of RAM, and I run more programs than you do, and I never seem to run out of memory.

Could you have your swap-file set too small? Is it unable to page out to the hard drive and instead it is using your physical RAM? Try changing the settings on your swap file:

Start / Settings / Control Panel / System / Performance / Virtual memory

It most likely will say to let Windows manage its own memory, try changing that and choosing the size of the swap file and then reboot and see if that makes a difference.

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
New Re: You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that
I am aware of what the E-Sheep program is, little sheep run around the screen, climb on windows, etc.

I think they are adorrrrrrrable! Sooooooo cute! Cute Sheepies!!!

Is there anything else running in the background? Anti-Virus, screen savers, Norton Windoctor, etc? Anti-Virus programs like Norton AV can slow a system down and eat up memory, but not like that.

Yeah, we know all about McAffee Virus stuff. That was what we had to shut off the first time, cause Andrei just c-r-a-w-l-e-d. John has it all disabled as much as it gets, and he manually runs it whenever I have to scan something. (I still will not download or open any attachments without him checking them out).

So we are fairly sure it isn't something running in the background, although we did come across this one weird program called Atmen or Atsmen or something like that.... oh man, why didn't I write it down... and it was running, but we didn't know what it was. I'll find out tomorrow what it was actually called from John.

I have 98SE with 128M of RAM, and I run more programs than you do, and I never seem to run out of memory.

Yeah, I don't think this is normal whatsoever for only running Eudora, opera, a few Yahoo groups and Messenger, and this site, and occasionally a MS application like Word or Excel. I know I stay on for hours, but this still doesn't seem right.

Could you have your swap-file set too small? Is it unable to page out to the hard drive and instead it is using your physical RAM? Try changing the settings on your swap file:

Start / Settings / Control Panel / System / Performance / Virtual memory

It most likely will say to let Windows manage its own memory, try changing that and choosing the size of the swap file and then reboot and see if that makes a difference.

I'll have him check that out tomorrow after work, thanks.

Personally, I think Andrei is just hungry, and wants to eat it all. Yum Yum! Hehehe!

Nightowl >8#

P.S. We're using this program called TweakRam, right now, and I'm logging everything I'm doing and paying attention to it. Tedious, but I want to fix this.

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New Re: You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that
This is Nightowl's husband again.

Thanks to all for their suggestions!

This shareware memory management program claims to have a feature that deloads unused DLL libraries. That hasn't seemed to make a difference, but that might just be an ineffective memory management program.

I noticed that the web site that lists "bad tasks to have" lists CMAgent as a Bad Thing. We're running it because we're running McAfee Uninstaller. I might try disabling it to see if Uninstaller still works, and see if anything improves.

Windows 98 comes with a program called "msconfig" that makes checking all of the various startup options, including config.sys and autoexec.bat, a snap. I've been disabling things directly with Regedit, though.

The memory management program includes a swap file memory usage graph, so we might keep an eye on that to see if it provides any illuminating evidence.

Finally, I could just go ahead and upgrade every program on here, hoping that might fix the problem somewhere. We still have IE 5.5, for example.

I gotta have time to do something other than computer stuff this weekend, though!

Thanks again,

Nightowl's husband JohnF
Linda Ellerbee
New Update on Andrei (was Re: You shouldn't have a...)
Okay, this is Owl this time, so bear with me. Hehe!

John disabled the following programs on startup in Andrei:

Direct CD, CD Creator, and McAfee Uninstaller. (Icky McAfee Bleah! Owls hate McAfee). He can start any of these programs manually if needed.

Now I get to play a little and log Andrei's memory and see what happens now. :)

Also, that weird program I was trying to remember the name of is called Atdem. Anyone know what on earth it is? Could it be my esheeps? It isn't running now, but it was running mysteriously yesterday.

We'll try more things after we see first what this did or didn't do.

Thanks!

Nightowl >8#
Linda Ellerbee
New atdem?
Let's google for it...

[link|http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=atdem|http://www.google.co...&oe=UTF-8&q=atdem]

Nope. I don't know about this program, and it looks like nobody else does as well.

If programs that nobody, including you, has heard of are running, then that sounds like something homegrown is running. (Even if it is obscure on your computer, I expect to see it show up in Google.) If something homegrown is running and you don't know about it, then I would start looking around for trojans - evidence that some script kiddie managed to 0wn j00.

If that is the case then your memory problems may be something that that kid is doing...

Sorry to raise this possibility,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New I figured out what Atdem is! ( was Re: atdem?)
Let's google for it...

I did look on google, too and also didn't find it. But this morning, we tried running only a few things at once, and one of the things we shut off was Anytime Organizer. Interestingly enough, when we checked the Task Manager list, Atdem was there again. Then, it occurred to me that perhaps it was part of Anytime, since we had had it running and shut it off. Sure enough, we were able to locate it in the Anytime program directory.

We have about figured out that when you turn off Anytime (it starts on startup), it automatically puts Atdem in the Task Manager list, and that was how it somehow "turned itself on" in the middle of the night last night and freaked me. ;)

John thinks it might stand for Any Time Deluxe Event Manager (The software is called Anytime Deluxe Organizer).

Thanks for helping us look harder and find it though. :)

Nightowl >8#

Linda Ellerbee
     AUUUUUUGH! the original problem seems to be back! - (Nightowl) - (46)
         Process of elimination. - (admin) - (2)
             Re: Process of elimination. - (Nightowl)
             Questions about the Process of elimination. (new thread) - (Nightowl)
         Consider running Spybot Search and Destroy - (Another Scott)
         Re: AUUUUUUGH! the original problem seems to be back! - (Nightowl) - (35)
             Re: AUUUUUUGH! the original problem seems to be back! - (deSitter) - (28)
                 leave wife and establish own ID - (boxley) - (25)
                     Memory Issues ( was Re: leave wife and establish own ID) - (Nightowl) - (23)
                         sigh if you log out of winders and he logs in new login time -NT - (boxley) - (20)
                             Re: sigh if you log out of winders and he logs... - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                 Are you using winblow 95 or above - (boxley)
                                 FSCKING IDIOT! - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Chill dude. - (Silverlock)
                                 It's not so bad. - (Another Scott)
                                 Don't worry about it, Brenda. - (admin) - (1)
                                     Re: Don't worry about it, Brenda. - (Nightowl)
                             Has everybody just abandoned good judgment? - (deSitter) - (12)
                                 Re: Has everybody just abandoned good judgment? - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                     I don't believe you, get it? -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         Put up or shut up. - (admin)
                                     Re: Has everybody just abandoned good judgment? - (Nightowl)
                                 naw, convinced they are the lost tribe of Orion - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Re: naw, convinced they are the lost tribe of Orion - (Nightowl)
                                 Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story like this - (orion) - (5)
                                     Re: Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                         Re: Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story... - (orion)
                                     Re: Believe me, even I couldn't have invented a story - (deSitter) - (2)
                                         Then I apologize - (orion) - (1)
                                             Re: Then I apologize - (Nightowl)
                         Can you create a profile in Opera? - (orion) - (1)
                             Re: Can you create a profile in Opera? - (Nightowl)
                     Ha! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 ROSS: Cut. It. Out. (new thread) - (admin)
                 Speaking of ignorance.. - (ben_tilly)
             Spybot program. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 Spybots are notoriously bad. - (inthane-chan)
             You know, this might simply be normal behaviour. - (jake123) - (3)
                 Re: You know, this might simply be normal behaviour. - (Nightowl) - (2)
                     You may have some rogue processes in startup. - (Silverlock)
                     ATTN: late post here. Bad memory ??? - (Ashton)
         You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that - (orion) - (5)
             Re: You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that - (Nightowl) - (4)
                 Re: You shouldn't have a loss of memory like that - (Nightowl) - (3)
                     Update on Andrei (was Re: You shouldn't have a...) - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         atdem? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             I figured out what Atdem is! ( was Re: atdem?) - (Nightowl)

Owner/Operator rig.
91 ms