IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's not pretty...
but I remember when all my school friends were so happy when we were bombing Libya... because Quadafi was finally "getting his due."

I suspect they think the same thing. Of course, there wasn't an opportunity to show the Moslems who were not celebrating, because by definition, when you're not celebrating you're not in the streets jumping around and passing out candy.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New I forgot to mention Libya and Cuba ...
... as countries that have pledged support and condemned these murders.

I appreciate your comments.

It seems that if the U.S. plays the cards right, we can put international pressure on those that are harboring the perpetrators. If the U.S. just goes in and bombs the heck out of the countryside it is likely to create even more Middle East animosity towards the powerful U.S. "capitalists".

I think what I am saying is that we need our friends abroad to partner with us vs us going in by ourselves and proving our "supreme" power and military might.
New To the extent that this is about "proving" anything ...
The last thing we need, and possibly even want, is to wait for international support, much less consensus. If we want sterile justice, we need to identify who did it, capture them, try them, and convict them. If we want revenge, we need to identify them and kill them.

But if we want to try to prevent this from happening again, now that the world has seen how easy* it is to do, we need to retaliate with such an overwhelming response that not only will potential agressors think twice about trying us again, but also their host countries will decide that the risk isn't worth the reward. The Taliban may be thrilled at what has happened, but if the reaction is to flatten their country, they might, in the future, impose limits on what their pet "rogue elements" will do.

* Relative term, as compared to launching a nuke.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New There's a reason...
that most IRA terrorists weren't captured by the SAS the Brits had in Ireland/Northern Ireland.

They had the viewpoint that if you arrested one, tossed him in jail, his buds would do something to free him, giving them more motive to do something unspeakable.

I can't confirm what I've heard as _policy_. Just that what I've read, they.. didn't take prisoners.

Addison
New all well and good
but I wouldn't exactly call British policy where the IRA is concerned a resounding success.

"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New The overall policy? No.
The police as far as the SAS were concerned? From my sources, it was a resounding success.

The biggest problem was the political will of London - they weren't willing to let the SAS "take care" of the whole problem. Reportedly, they actually had everybody in the IRA cataloged, and a HUGE assasination project (almost all the leaders, cell leaders and up) for one weekend planned, got the go code, everybody went, and an hour later got the "nah, nevermind".

Of course, this compromised a lot of assets, and a number of undercover/IRA informants were then killed.

Reportedly. Rumored. I can't confirm or deny what my sources tell me. :)

Addison
New Re: I forgot to mention Libya and Cuba ...
Which is impressive. Especially given the hostile stance the US has taken towards Cuba (we are still under a trade embargo and Bush has even started to try to turn the screws by threatening to hunt down US citizens who have traveled to Cuba illegally).

Your Fugitive on the Go...
New Re: I forgot to mention Libya and Cuba ...
> ... as countries that have pledged support and condemned these murders.
>
> I appreciate your comments.
>
> It seems that if the U.S. plays the cards right, we can put international pressure on those that are harboring the perpetrators. If the U.S. just goes in and bombs the heck out of the countryside it is likely to create even more Middle East animosity towards the powerful U.S. "capitalists".
>
> I think what I am saying is that we need our friends abroad to partner with us vs us going in by ourselves and proving our "supreme" power and military might.
>

I believe the support is simply an outpour of sympathy for the MASS murder...

This is a tragedy against humanity. But I would suggest that it not be interpreted as support for US policy.

I find it a big irony when the media like CNN/NBC/ABC and the politicians are trying to portray whoever the terrorist as "cowards"... hell, they gave their lifes to do it. Compared with the way US "terrorized" by sending unmanned high-tech missles/bombs.

And it's interesting that many Americans are taking the stance of "Oh, you will be sorry you messed with US", but somehow they expect the "victims" of their "aggressions" to take them lying down. And the worst of all is all those calls of "Bomb them to kingdom come" when they have NO ****ing idea who REALLY is/was responsible.

Nevertheless, it was a despicable act (the attacks) and my sympathy to the victims and their family
     It appears the U.S. is getting international sympathy - (brettj) - (8)
         It's not pretty... - (cwbrenn) - (7)
             I forgot to mention Libya and Cuba ... - (brettj) - (6)
                 To the extent that this is about "proving" anything ... - (drewk) - (3)
                     There's a reason... - (addison) - (2)
                         all well and good - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                             The overall policy? No. - (addison)
                 Re: I forgot to mention Libya and Cuba ... - (tuberculosis)
                 Re: I forgot to mention Libya and Cuba ... - (TTC)

I know kung fu.
74 ms