IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Help Australia create their own Silicon Valley
[link|http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/5223189.htm|article]

Why not fly down to the sandy beaches of South Australia? The region wants to own Silicon Valley's recipe for high-tech success. It is offering market rates -- that means $100,000 and up, whatever it takes -- for a qualified someone to set up an office in Adelaide. Similarities: university town, great weather, wine. Difference: affordable housing. The assignment would be two to six months, and the task is to perform the magic that we've become known for. (Don't want to ruin the fun, but Australia must be really far away for them not to have heard of our little crash yet.)

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL/Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New I'd like someone to do that...
In Dallas/Ft. Worth, Oklahoma City, Austin, St. Louis, Denver, Colorado Springs, etc.

Dallas/Ft. Worth is so bad right now that even experienced DBAs are only getting $70K a year. Entry level programming jobs (where they are available) are sometimes going for $35K. Java programming jobs $50-60K, C++ $70K. Unix administrators $50-70K depending on experience.

You could move your development to Dallas/Ft. Worth and save your company a bundle. In addition, your employees could actually enjoy a really excellent standard of living.

Just be sure to trade in your car for one with air conditioning.

Oh yeah, and buy a gun. ;-)
New It that a...
Oh yeah, and buy a gun. ;-)
Shotgun, rifle, or handgun?
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@attbi.com|Joe]
New Your choice...
But if you're going to get the sidearm, please remember take the class and get the permit (for conceal and carry).

Otherwise, you've got to have a holster (or wear the gun clearly exposed on your body).

I'm not joking about this...

Glen Austin
New Sounds like Adelaide, 'cept for the gun.
But a car with A/C? Definitely! (But that requirement goes for all of Oz. Even Tassie.)
John. Busy lad.
New Hmmm Adelaide - once worked in IT there .... hmmmm

Sandy beaches, yes but no surf anywhere near the city. Nice sleepy town that is getting sleepier since I was there. Mfg Industry moved out de to cost of shipping.

Adelaide is miles from nowhere. But, yes, the Barrossa Valley winerys are great to visit & drinking wine is a way of life there (once you see & taste the water, you have little option but to drink orange juice or wine).

House there have water tanks (wives can wash their hair & hubby's white shirts).

Drinking water comes from the Murray river & is hard water, stained & slightly smelly. In flood season it has a fine silt in it too.

Don't get sucked in by the great sandy beaches crap. Sand yes, great no!

Cheers

Doug Marker
     Help Australia create their own Silicon Valley - (lincoln) - (5)
         I'd like someone to do that... - (gdaustin) - (4)
             It that a... - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                 Your choice... - (gdaustin)
             Sounds like Adelaide, 'cept for the gun. - (Meerkat) - (1)
                 Hmmm Adelaide - once worked in IT there .... hmmmm - (dmarker)

The Men In Black have been bendin' my ear.
108 ms