IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Questions, comments

I guess my first question is this: what's the problem we're trying\r\nto solve? What does going through the time, trouble, and expense of\r\nincorporation buy us over what we've got as an informal group?

\r\n\r\n

Regarding 501(c) status, an organization chartered as a forum for\r\ndiscussion and for information dissemination (roughly: zIWT and TWIT),\r\nshould be pretty straightforward. There are lots of such organizations\r\nwhich are involved in political discussion. They have to be careful not\r\nto take official sides in debates. So long as we have people speaking\r\non their own behalf, not the organization, I don't see a major problem.\r\nAdvocating FS in general, with a focus on technology, seems aligned with\r\n501(c) goals as I understand 'em. Note too that I generally\r\ndon't read the political "discussion" here, a term I use\r\nadvisedly as a large part of this appears to be ranting from various\r\nparties. Much of which I don't agree with. Much of which I frankly\r\nfind too unspeakably stupid to deserve response, so take this as my\r\nblanket answer.

\r\n\r\n

But I come back to why we're doing this: what isn't happening or\r\nisn't happening smoothly currently? I'm all in favor of the minimum\r\nlevel of organization rquired to make things work, and we're about there\r\nat the moment.

\r\n
--\r\n
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]\r\n
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]\r\n
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?\r\n
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.\r\n
\r\n
   Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.\r\n[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html]\r\n
New The idea was not to change here,
as you pointed out it works quite well. The idea was using the assembled talent on a voluntary basis under a different umbrella and move to a paid for advice model(or try to). A research company doing balanced reporting.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
"France," he noted, "has neither winter nor summer, nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks, it is a fine country."
Mark Twain
New Small conceptual problem
Much of the er social foribuses here are patterned after the Murican paranoid style of extreme VS extreme, with the occasional Gem of an overview or an actual subtle point, IMnsHO. At worst, we are no 'better' than the execrable McLaughlin Group Loud-mouths (with their token Centrist - and she is often shouted down/interrupted almost instantly).

We have a few who occasionally chime in with a balanced presentation which doesn't assume one or the other pole of the exchanges Must be Nutzo (like both Scotts, for example).

In brief, less'n 'we'-all or most were to somewhat change our style of barbed ripostes towards more of what (the ept) journalist tries to do -- I'd say that there are maybe 15 McL kinds of wallows in sloganeering out there in info-land -- for every one which eschews cant regularly.

Of course.. one could posit that a task of merely parsing (say) a Rush performance, or an evening's worth of talking-head prose - with links to demonstrate the dissembling - could provide a needed Public Service\ufffd. But then how do you take on the 'root' issue: the general stupidity of most utterances by and about pols and their ego-gratifying doggerel [??]
(Nobody knows how to kill something so Big, so traditional, and which is also too slimy to grab ahold of, like a fresh trout)

I suspect we lack the discipline to submit lots of our stuff to a reasonableness filter. It's so much more fun to attack the more extreme inferences than root for the modicum of sanity in your average slogan. (Still.. consider the larger audience; 'politics' maybe Is best taken with a certain snidery - accurate analysis is so tedious for the short attention-span majority)

As to the technical.. well Yes: consider the competition (and esp. IW). Were I an underinformed bizness type who wanted some background on Why it is called The Beast - a compilation of all past fora would give enough real meat, refs and explanation to be most useful. Twiki would further elucidate. This, not the socio-political seems our most marketable? accomplishment.

Some of us could also hire out as Prof Shill Detectors and confounders, Billy-Speak translators (esp Andy ;-) and general BS-detectors /disassemblers: a service you'd think that Someone would really want to make use of..

Believe that accomplishing anything in this vein - would need a (at least one) Dedicated-One to organize, do so for the sheer joy of Slaying Popular Falsehoods with a rusty sword with-serrated-edge. Dunno who might have that impetus and tenacity == time available long-term, pretty much unflagging Interest. (In my experience there is always such a One who ends up doing a disproportionate amount of sifting thru garbage and cleaning the can. ie Life is unfair.)

See? THAT's why "The UN sounds like the UN". Daily we see confirmed the wisdom of Ashleigh Brilliant..

In the final analysis everything depends on everything else

New yabbut, they get paid better,
was the whole point. It would take someone of an organizational nature, with time, ability and perseverance to startup and there is a person I know in charlotte who we might be able to goat rop^H^H^H^^H^H^H^H^H^H persuede to help in this matter.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
"France," he noted, "has neither winter nor summer, nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks, it is a fine country."
Mark Twain
     what are the chances everyone would accede to a 501c corp? - (boxley) - (36)
         I am game... considering events lately... - (folkert)
         Re: Fox News attributing Ashton - (tjsinclair)
         LRPD sayeth: Where's my tinfoil hat...? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Same thing we do every night, Pinky... - (admin)
         Interesting idea. I'll support it. -NT - (jbrabeck)
         Ooo, I'd put THAT in my pipe 'n smoke it... - (inthane-chan)
         I would help - (orion)
         Excellent idea - (Silverlock)
         IANAL, but my understanding is that a 501c . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             that is correct and we wouldnt get labelled partisan - (boxley)
         I work for a 501c3 and have founded a 501c3/509a1 - (tseliot) - (11)
             You convinced me - (Silverlock)
             here is how I see the outline - (boxley) - (9)
                 Coupla points - (tseliot) - (5)
                     For under $5000/year - (drewk) - (1)
                         Note on hosting: - (admin)
                     If anyone's interested in my sources - (tseliot) - (2)
                         I'm in. And I have a question. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             I would think so, but Google won't say. -NT - (tseliot)
                 That raises an interesting point. - (static) - (2)
                     Enron did it all the time -NT - (boxley)
                     Well, elect not to be on the board then :) -NT - (tseliot)
         Fox attributing Ashton?!? - (jb4)
         Now you've pissed off Al Sharpton too! - (Ashton) - (6)
             obLRPD: I'm sorry, I came here for an argument! -NT - (folkert) - (5)
                 Kinky LRPD sez___Drop to the deck and flop like a fish! -NT - (Ashton) - (4)
                     Uh, Ashton,,, from "Sponge Bob Square Pants" show on Nick -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                         Which is, according to the LRPD: - (admin) - (2)
                             Uh uh - just now, Powered by crabby patties! -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Home of the hash-slinging slasher! -NT - (admin)
         Count me in - (mhuber) - (1)
             ObAOL: Me too -NT - (drewk)
         Questions, comments - (kmself) - (3)
             The idea was not to change here, - (boxley) - (2)
                 Small conceptual problem - (Ashton) - (1)
                     yabbut, they get paid better, - (boxley)

(This message was left blank.)
48 ms