IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That behaviour issue is addressible - in some orgs.
Get people in the habit of proactively updating at least daily.
Same issue. Daily window of multiple files vs. typically an hour window or so for a single file.

And if you choose not to do this you mainly create problems for yourself.
No, you create issues for the entire group as multiple files need to be reconciled before the project can be built.

For porting, create a branch and then run a command to detect conflicts every day.
Not feasible. I would have detected dozens of conflicts each day.

Similarly if you suspect that developers are not keeping good habits, you can run a cron job to find conflicts so you can come by and give them the speesh.
Easier said than done, and not in keeping with the culture we have here.

Many groups make it work for them.
Perhaps. Perhaps many groups make it work for them because they don't know any better. Not many groups have a code base consisting of 2M lines of code and 70 very active developers. Even large open source projects don't have the same level of activity that we do; people are working on this code base all day long for 8-12 hours a day. As a comparison, this is about twice as many loc as the gcc 3.2.1 C++ compiler, and nearly 30 times larger than Apache.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I'm not trying to convince you, honest
Part of what makes CVS work is that it is usually OK if multiple people edit the same file at the same time. Because usually people are editing unrelated parts of the file.

The claim that the person who keeps the file out loses is based on the fact that they can't checkin until they have noted and resolved the conflict. Most conflicts actually turn out to be easy to resolve. I believe that you can also arrange for some key people to be notified in the event of conflict so that you can be sure that people resolve it correctly.

As for the question of who makes it work and why, you have not described any conflict issue yet that makes me believe that CVS is unworkable for you. However I suspect that raw performance issues from some of CVS' algorithmic mistakes are a good reason for you not to use it.

Cheers,
Ben

PS The cron job that I mentioned is trivial to write. Whether your culture is such that people would take kindly to feedback is another story, but a group of developers that cannot give each other feedback is a group that is likely to wind up with climbing tension levels...
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
     Saying "I told you so" isn't nearly so satisfying ... - (drewk) - (34)
         My sympathies, Drew. - (a6l6e6x) - (24)
             What we came up with - (drewk) - (23)
                 VC++ or not, your boss is a moron. Get the heck outta there! -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Stupid. - (admin) - (21)
                     Oh, and ... - (drewk) - (20)
                         Actually that's how we work here. - (admin) - (19)
                             Would probably work here, too - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Gotcha. - (admin)
                             Same here - (jb4) - (16)
                                 the one we used in Siemens did - (boxley)
                                 That's the 'C' in CVS - (drewk) - (12)
                                     Impossible in some situations. - (admin) - (11)
                                         must be annoying to work for a sane/logical group :-) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Hee hee hee. - (admin) - (2)
                                                 Is your system available/useful to anyone else? - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Available? I don't know? Useful? Partially. - (admin)
                                         I just wonder... - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                             I've been here 1.5 years... - (admin)
                                         Possible in more situations than most would think - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                             Here's the issue: - (admin) - (3)
                                                 That behaviour issue is addressible - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     That behaviour issue is addressible - in some orgs. - (admin) - (1)
                                                         I'm not trying to convince you, honest - (ben_tilly)
                                 That's how we use CVS - (Arkadiy)
                                 Same now, used to be better - (gdaustin)
         I work solo on most projects... - (ChrisR) - (4)
             I think that's an underlying issue here - (drewk) - (3)
                 Dead code removal is a vital function. - (admin) - (2)
                     Agreed - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         We have both, would you like some of ours? -NT - (drewk)
         Speaking on a related topic... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Yup: We unplug the HP3000s - (drewk) - (1)
                 Better than you thought, huh? - (ben_tilly)
         Prototype folder - (orion)

Would you like some Chocolate Foam with that Mercedes, sir?
107 ms