IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New the pictures don't do it justice
...'cause it's a really, really ugly box--ugly enough that one's aesthetic meters reset themselves. Because it seemed like a "Bizarro" prototype for the original iMac, I glued a glass eye above the screen and dubbed it "eyeMac."

This being said, it was the best Mac, in terms of price/performance, I've ever owned up until now. Mac #1 was the original 128K model, purchased 09/84 for $2500, subsequently tricked out with a $700 10MB HD. Mac #2 was a IIx with 1MB RAM (later 5MB) and a 20MB HD (later 155MB), purchased 06/90 for $2300. Mac #3 was a PowerBase180 clone (180mhz PPC 603e) with 24MB RAM and a 1.2GB HD, purchased 12/96 for $1600. The AIO was purchased in mid-2000 for $500 with a G3 400mhz upgrade card already installed and 80MB RAM. I ramped that up to 384MB RAM, added a USB/Firewire card (supplementing the serial/SCSI/ADB outputs), replaced the 6GB HD (and burnt-out internal Zip drive) with two internal HDs adding up to 50GB, and installed a video card that supported a flat-panel 1280x1024 display alongside the AIO's built-in 1024x768 screen--yielding me more pixel real estate than the original Aple Cinema Display. The AIO functioned heroically until an ill-advised upgrade to OS 9.2.2 several months back: ths proved disastrous, and a reinstall of 9.2.1 never quite served to retrieve the original system stability.

I'm committed now to the new machine and to OS X, but ugly old AIO will remain my fondest memory of Macs to date. I'm exerting great effort to secure for it a more honorable retirement than the 128K (in the basement), the IIx (dropped off the stern of the SF-to-Larkspur ferry ca. 3/97) or the PowerBase 180 (stashed next to my bookcase here).

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New So was that intentional?
the IIx (dropped off the stern of the SF-to-Larkspur ferry ca. 3/97)
Or did you just forget to tie off the anchor chain before heaving it?
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Re: So was that intentional?
Burial at sea. I probably oughtn't have done it, but it was a satisfyingly extravagant gesture at the time.

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
     It is official. - (cwbrenn) - (18)
         cool! - (SpiceWare) - (2)
             Same thing happened to the.. - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Plan to take the plunge this year - (SpiceWare)
         Which size? 17" -NT - (bbronson) - (4)
             Yes indeedy, 17" it is - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                 I'm green w/envy -NT - (bbronson) - (2)
                     Well, I don't have it *yet* - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                         Sure, go ahead and shatter my illusions with reality ;-) - (bbronson)
         Dunna fer get this: - (folkert) - (1)
             Re: Dunna fer get this: - (cwbrenn)
         us too - (Steve Lowe) - (7)
             May I weigh in here... - (rcareaga) - (6)
                 I had to find a picture - (drewk) - (5)
                     the pictures don't do it justice - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         So was that intentional? - (drewk) - (1)
                             Re: So was that intentional? - (rcareaga)
                     Bahaha.... - (admin) - (1)
                         That's it! - (drewk)

Dude, down the hall and to the left. That’s who you want.
44 ms