IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New LINUX DOESNT #@$%& WORK NEVER HAS WORKED AND WONT GO IN HERE
is the 'modern' equivalent irrational shriek, no?

I'm not trying to paint mainframe folks as saints, or anything - but trying to stereotype them as anti-change control freaks bugs me. Always has.

"WE ALWAYS DO THINGS THIS WAY" types exist everywhere. Saying that "this attitude of the Frame folks that caused the PC revolution" paints an unfair picture. THAT is what I was calling you on.

Or do you think PC technology would not have become common without this alleged 'Frame 'attitude'?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
Collapse Edited by imric Feb. 11, 2003, 10:12:17 PM EST
LINUX DOESNT #@$%& WORK NEVER HAVE WORKED AND WONT GO IN
is the 'modern' equivalent irrational shriek, no?

I'm not trying to paint mainframe folks as saints, or anything - but trying to stereotype them as anti-change control freaks bugs me. Always has.

"WE ALWAYS DO THINGS THIS WAY" types exist everywhere. Saying that "this attitude of the Frame folks that caused the PC revolution" paints an unfair picture. THAT is what I was calling you on.

Or do you think PC technology would not have become common without this alleged 'Frame 'attitude'?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New wether it was the frame IT department or uncaring
non technical budget drones it was small departments trying to find a better way to do their jobs and bought pc's off budget that drove the revolution. It will be those folks who doom the pc revolution to a backwater,
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Harkening back
to my discussions with Bob, if those departments want those things, they must allocate part of thier own budget to IT or support them wholly by themslves - with NO support FROM IT.

I have always been a proponent of heterogenous environments with the tools that get the work done, rather than homogenous 1-size-fits-all monolithic 'solutions'. One must recognize that there ARE other concerns with departments bypassing IT/IS, however...

Imric's Tips for Living
New you call those discussions? :-)
remember them fondly, even posted (I think). I enjoyed Bob's stuff and responses more than most of the other stuff.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

New *smile*

Imric's Tips for Living
New Also why is "change management" a dicipline all by itself?
Who moved my cheese is a best seller. beats the shit out of me why it should be but it is.
thanx,
bill

New Dunno. Because people suck at it?
In my experience, the people most desirous of/ready to change are the ones least likely to realize the ripples that change will create. Change management addresses those ripples before they swamp nearby boats.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Management only needs to be changed when it is bad
and bad management can kill a company. Just take a look at Montana Power turning into Touch America. Management, along with Goldman Sachs, decided to turn the company from a Power Utility company into a Telecommunications company without consulting the stockholders or the employees. It now trades for 33 cents on the dollar and lost billions. It went from Bluechip to Dotcom status. Management thought it was a good idea and went with it without telling anyone else or asking permission.

My point is that bad management can kill a company slowly by making boneheaded decisions like that.

Also trying to keep on good employees is hard if the management is bad. That lawfirm that I worked for has an IT staff of 30 people and in a peroid of 4 years had 35+ people leave or get fired from the IT department. The good talent either walked out the door to find a job elsewhere, or after voicing complaints about management to management (like me) got terminated by something that was made up in a bogus annual review. A big turn-a-round is a good sign of bad management. They got rid of almost everyone except the managers and they still have the same sort of problems there.

My point is that bad management can cause key employees to quit or get terminated for bogus reasons. Then they no longer have experienced workers, but newbies trying to find their way around the company.

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
New Not sure what that has to do with my point.
"Change management" has nothing to do with recommending whether or not to change. Since change is inevitable, it has to do with managing that change to, among other things, avoid unpleasant side-effects.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New We have one woman specifically to handle that.
She's the first project manager this company hired.

We (this company) need "change management" because, it seems, most people have NO concept of who needs to be informed when there IS a change or how to IMPLEMENT a change or even whether or not a change needs to be TESTED on a NON-PRODUCTION SYSTEM.

I am not joking.

NONE of this is anything but "common sense" and basic communication / documentation.

twiki has been an INCREDIBLE help with this. :)
New When did you join my company?
We (this company) need "change management" because, it seems, most people have NO concept of who needs to be informed when there IS a change or how to IMPLEMENT a change or even whether or not a change needs to be TESTED on a NON-PRODUCTION SYSTEM.
No wait, you don't work here. First we'd have to have a non-production system before we could talk about doing any testing on it.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Sorry my mistake
I misread it, I must have skimmed it and thought when you said "change management" you meant to change the management, not whatever it was supposed to be. So what is "change management" anyway, dealing with changes?

New You've forgotten that entire thread in 'flame' already.
New I said I couldn't remember it alll
and I apparently didn't fully read everything. "Change Management" is a new term to me. I was not sure what it meant besides changing management.

New "Managing" the process of change
Anything from deliberately setting the pace of change to making sure it does not destroy the organization to helping people cope with changes.
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
     Big Misconception by a lot of IT staffers - (boxley) - (45)
         Re: Big Misconception by a lot of IT staffers - (cwbrenn)
         Big difference between helpdesk and developers -NT - (Arkadiy) - (2)
             Well if you want to be helpdesk all your life :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                 People who have to unscrew users's machines are helpdesk -NT - (Arkadiy)
         Point to the example - (broomberg) - (7)
             No I was responding to another post - (boxley) - (6)
                 Remembering an Operations Research professor saying.. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                     Patently untrue. - (tseliot)
                     You are being paid to provide a professional opinion - (boxley)
                     This is true - (orion)
                     Uh huh - like this - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Sounds like the lawfirm I had worked at - (orion)
         This attitude of the Frame folks? - (imric) - (32)
             As I have never worked in a Frame shop - (boxley) - (17)
                 *sigh* resistance to change - (imric) - (16)
                     Sorry now I can speak from personal experience - (boxley) - (15)
                         LINUX DOESNT #@$%& WORK NEVER HAS WORKED AND WONT GO IN HERE - (imric) - (14)
                             wether it was the frame IT department or uncaring - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Harkening back - (imric) - (2)
                                     you call those discussions? :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                                         *smile* -NT - (imric)
                             Also why is "change management" a dicipline all by itself? - (boxley) - (9)
                                 Dunno. Because people suck at it? - (tseliot) - (8)
                                     Management only needs to be changed when it is bad - (orion) - (7)
                                         Not sure what that has to do with my point. - (tseliot) - (6)
                                             We have one woman specifically to handle that. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                 When did you join my company? - (drewk)
                                             Sorry my mistake - (orion) - (3)
                                                 You've forgotten that entire thread in 'flame' already. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     I said I couldn't remember it alll - (orion)
                                                 "Managing" the process of change - (Arkadiy)
             Cost effective, not toys! - (broomberg) - (10)
                 Who said anything about toys? - (imric) - (8)
                     He said *most* MF programmers. - (static)
                     You did. - (broomberg) - (6)
                         Well - that stereotype IS a hot button, with me. - (imric) - (5)
                             Do you consider the AS400 a MF? - (broomberg) - (4)
                                 Nah - a midrange. - (imric) - (3)
                                     Skewed for sure - (broomberg) - (2)
                                         Oh, you can have it... - (imric) - (1)
                                             RPG isn't that bad - (broomberg)
                 the only current interface with framers was my last gig - (boxley)
             Glass Room People then - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 why didnt they shift to the prime boxen? - (boxley) - (1)
                     Prime had just folded - (tuberculosis)

Dude, down the hall and to the left. That’s who you want.
129 ms