IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New MS: "you don't have to buy an XBox bundle" Really.
Truly.

Who are you going to believe?

[link|http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/printedition/chi-0109100025sep10.story?coll=chi%2Dprintbusiness%2Dhed|Microsoft, stores point fingers over Xbox bundles] at the Chicago Tribune (via the Economist).

"We have not told anybody they have to bundle anything in any way," assured Bill Nielsen, Xbox group product manager. "Believe me, we follow the law as closely as we can these days."

Instead, Microsoft officials said retailers being given allotments of Xbox game systems are allowed to "presell" a certain number of units before they're due in stores Nov. 8. Yet to be part of the "official" presale program and receive in-store promotional materials, retailers have to package one Microsoft-developed game, two games from other parties and an accessory with the game system, explained James Bernard, an Xbox spokesman.

Bernard said retailers are able to sell to game systems solo and will not be penalized by being given smaller allotments of Xbox systems. Also, once the games are available in stores, the systems and other items will be sold separately.

Still, at least one retailer is sending out a different message. CompUSA told potential customers in an e-mail that to preorder a Xbox game system, they had to buy other products too.

"Because of limitations placed on all retailers by Microsoft, the Xbox console must be sold in conjunction with a group of accessories and games," the e-mail read.

Bernard said CompUSA's statement is incorrect, that only the number of units each retailer receives is limited.

Apparently the restriction is on the pre-orders, but since that's the only way to get a system initially (or so MS would like everyone to believe, due to "overwhelming demand"), it's effectively a restriction that says that initial systems can't be sold without a bundle.

Somehow, though, I expect the bundle restrictions to be maintained even after the pre-order phase ends. Don't you?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: MS: "you don't have to buy an XBox bundle" Really.
"Believe me, we follow the law as closely as we can these days."

That's just....so much in one sentance I don't know where to start. Just sit back in awe and wonderment

Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Gee, that's the exact same thing that caught my eye
You'd think they've done the same thing so many times now that some of us are starting to recognize a pattern or something.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Yea, I follow the news as much as I can too
And just like MS and the law, I don't take any part in it. :)
~~~)-Steven----
New MeToo: that sentence just.. Says It All
Perhaps Freudian slips shall - alone - seal their doom?

Now if the "planned artificial scarcity" ploy can somehow be documented and spread around.. Lotta folk will repeatedly be played for suckers. But *Nobody* bites when everyone else Knows and says: hee hee - You Sap!
New You still don't get it, do you...
Micros~1 says it's so, and it's so!

Period.

Don't bother me with facts, counter-statements to the contrary, or instances of previous behavior.

After all, their most recent innovation is "Doublespeak".

(And who knows, maybe they'll get a patent on it; never mind the "prior art" of one A. Huxley)
jb4
(Stay tuned...thoughtcrime is next...)
New Nevermind the bundle.
Isn't the Xbox going to be priced at $100-$200 over a Playstation 2? Why would any console fan want to buy such a thing?
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
     MS: "you don't have to buy an XBox bundle" Really. - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Re: MS: "you don't have to buy an XBox bundle" Really. - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
             Gee, that's the exact same thing that caught my eye - (drewk)
             Yea, I follow the news as much as I can too - (Steven A S)
             MeToo: that sentence just.. Says It All - (Ashton)
             You still don't get it, do you... - (jb4)
         Nevermind the bundle. - (wharris2)

I know members of the legislature who would disagree with you under oath.
42 ms