1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Slow, or is it just me?
It takes between 20 and 30 seconds for any top level
board to starts to load.

Is this normal?

It seems that it started about a week ago.
New I see it too. Esp. on first starting. Oh well...
New Just ran VACUUM ANALYZE
Seems much faster now to me. Let me know.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Odd phenom just now, fwiw
I came back from The Reg (for above post) and noted:

The message box was W a a y W i d e . Took about 4 "narrow" commands to get it back (L/R) on screen. Noticed also - as here - the text is now bold, sharper than before.

(This of course without any browser games with 'View': "increase / decrease fontsize" or suchlike) - it's still NS Nav 4.5 here.

So what you did: maybe analogous to RegClean for Zope (as the toymakers would call it) and, Vacuum dumped some prefs along the way?

Also.. maybe this did load faster than in recent days. Gosh, is all this stuff a mystery, even with non-toy software? :( Is Zope's theme song also, I did it My way...

Cackle..

A.

PS - came back with another noticed effect:

Alternating background colors (well, at least two) reading posts. First post seems to start with the hated white, second a pastel blue. May have to go back & check again: "overrride doc. specified fonts". It does still obey my 'Doze specified pastel green background for This compose box.

Ah: when I select "override fonts" and reload THIS page - so does the box size narrow considerably + earlier wimpy font. Though - no effect on replacing the white bkg with pastel on others' posts. I'll leave it on, allowing yer fonts and even dynamic fonts.. wtf That is about.

Guess it's a browser thingie so - never mind. Just call this infotainment; it's a nit not worth picking.

Expand Edited by Missing User 70 Sept. 10, 2001, 07:50:29 PM EDT
New NS 4 oddities.
Some of the effects here, such as the alternating message backgrounds, are done with CSS1, which is buggy in Netscape 4. Bug activation in Netscape 4 has been minimized, but wrongly sized boxes is one I can't duplicate. My advice is to leave Netscape 4 behind and find something newer: e.g. Netscape 6, Opera 5, Mozilla, IE if you can stand it.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New You must have changed stylesheets, today..
I just turned them OFF, got my grey background back, instead of the white-glare - and now have to 'Widen' THIS box.. yup: 4 times. I'll settle for the wimpy fonts to nuke the glare.

Thanks for tip.
As to upgrades.. well, you know.. Still have NS 3.04 on the Tecra; box in other room with Doze3.1 and 3 Linux distros Waiting for.. Godot

.. one o' those firesale HumPPaqs at $50 or so ?

Cheers,

A.
New MUCH faster! Thanks!
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
     Slow, or is it just me? - (broomberg) - (6)
         I see it too. Esp. on first starting. Oh well... -NT - (Another Scott)
         Just ran VACUUM ANALYZE - (admin) - (4)
             Odd phenom just now, fwiw - (Ashton) - (2)
                 NS 4 oddities. - (static) - (1)
                     You must have changed stylesheets, today.. - (Ashton)
             MUCH faster! Thanks! -NT - (jlalexander)

It so happens I'm half Chinese, half Cajun. There probably isn't an animal that creeps through the forest of swims in the water that's safe from me.
87 ms