IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I feel your pain - I really do . .
I interviewed at a private school yesterday. Their IS guy (who's policies have been likened to the Gestapo) is leaving, and apparently with him all documentation (all in wetware storage). They want me to handle the documentation, provide a transition path, train an administrator and provide on-call support for major problems.

They have one Proliant and one Prosignia, both running Windows NT 4.1.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New err.. cc: AB?__________________cackle..
Sounds perzackly like what I may have inherited, 'document'wise :[ except, they had no BOFH - simply, their node was unplugged from Mother, and left floating. (I may.. get all the stuff that came with the pieces; one of the original install techs sounds copacetic. But promises are cheap.)

And.. (haven't found out how frequent reboots other than, "some") their W2K Server install has seemed to bear out the claim that it's more stable than NT.x But its job had thus been reduced to simply:

A) keeping a "J: drive" (no doubt.. the RAID) accessible to 4 laptops running 98SE, as a common R/W space and, a printer.

B) not eating itself in any permanent way.

(Hell - what was that Multi-DOS program, MPM? - coulda shared files with an old 386.. Switched tasks with Quarterdeck's neat hack.. Seems to be mostly correspondence anyway.) {sigh} Wasted Pro-WhateverTF.

This ran for about 6 mos 'unattended'. The HP DAT - seems to be backing up *something* yet to be explored. Natch I'm not taking the slightest chance of crashing the sucker, as I accumulate info via those colorful and infinite-layered menus. Most with terminology just vaguely altered enough, dumbed-down in that Mickey-Rat way, that - -

BTW - re the ex-Gestapo guy and in general: is there any implied legal obligation in these er "Information-besotted Technologies" that: upon leaving, an admin (must! ??) pass on at least basic operational details *he* has generated? Anything court-actionable, that is ???

('Cause I know what I'd want, in writing *now*, given that there Are BOFHs - obviously older kids now.. who used to have all their toys crushed on alternate weeks by a Dad/Mom from Hell)

Thanks fer moral support.
(Gawd.. if I had to do this for food - prolly starve. Or be jailed for PHB-cide, if that's a crime?)

Ashton
let no good deed go unpunished
New PHB-icide
There are two Latin phrases that describe crimes: mala-in-se and mala-in-lex. (Apologies if my Latin spelling is off, I'm faking it from Spanish.)

PHB-icide is mala-in-lex.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Cackle.. works OK in my lex-icon______________:-\ufffd
New Eh, "NT 4.1" -Is that Gryge-speak for Windows 2000, or what?
New Naah, It's 4.0 w/Service Pack 6a applied
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Moving that customer from a Chrysler to a dirigible to a sub - (Another Scott) - (20)
         It's too good! - (wharris2)
         Viva HPAQ! - (gdaustin) - (17)
             I have hated Compaqs from day one. - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                 Re: I have hated Compaqs from day one. - (n3jja) - (1)
                     Hey! Long time no see. Where you been, and is everything OK? -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Some of Q's pro laptops are good - (tonytib) - (2)
                     Compaq laptops are even more MS than Sony ones... - (static) - (1)
                         Well, I installed Caldera on that one for a while -NT - (tonytib)
                 Speaking of the servers - - (Ashton) - (8)
                     Linux on Compaq servers - (admin) - (1)
                         Thanks - comforting thought. - (Ashton)
                     I feel your pain - I really do . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                         err.. cc: AB?__________________cackle.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                             PHB-icide - (mhuber) - (1)
                                 Cackle.. works OK in my lex-icon______________:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                         Eh, "NT 4.1" -Is that Gryge-speak for Windows 2000, or what? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Naah, It's 4.0 w/Service Pack 6a applied -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                 how they ever had the stones to sell 30k intel servers - (boxley)
             There are (were?) 2 Compaqs. - (addison)
         Should someone notice the preps for a fire sale -?- - (Ashton)

Mine almost shook the furnace apart.
52 ms