IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Not so sure about that.
Scott wrote:

Perhaps they should stay away from Debian *installers*... and then only if they are a dyed-in-the-wool Windows user.

That's basically what I was trying to say. Debian is a maintenance regime and an administrative framework, not a particular installer. Caveat: Some people are unnerved by the lack of central administrative tools in Debian. See notes about Libranet/Xandros, below.

The following are all reasonable ways to get onto Debian:

Libranet and Xandros Desktop OS installers. These give you easier access to popular non-redistributable proprietary "desktop" stuff (RealPlayer, Flash plugin, other things). Xandros gives you an all-X11 install (used to be Corel Linux OS), while Libranet is ncurses-based (character graphics). i386-only. Good automatic hardware detection, in both cases. Cutting-edge kernel and XFree86 support for new hardware, if you buy the boxed sets. (The Libranet image generally available on the Net is for an older version.) Both include GUI administrative tools of the sort that some users prefer.

Progeny Graphical Installer image for Debian 3.0/woody. No non-redistributable proprietary "desktop" tchotchkes, but all X11-based. i386 and ia64-only. Good automatic hardware detection.

Knoppix disk and its knx-install script. i386-only. Unsurpassed automatic hardware detection. Totally painless installation.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New One thing I have always maintained:
The best way to learn is to actually do it yourself. If Thane's intention is to learn Linux, then using the bf24 install and building the system one package at a time is the best way to do so. Getting a giant lump of preinstalled stuff (Debian or not) on a system is overwhelming, IMO.

Of course, if he's really into serious pain, he could use the patented kmself chroot install like I did.[1] :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."

[1] It wasn't THAT bad, actually... ;-)
     XFree configuration help needed. - (inthane-chan) - (40)
         Re: XFree configuration help needed. - (inthane-chan)
         just for grins - (boxley) - (1)
             No dice. Same spew. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Post the puke. -NT - (admin) - (3)
             First link in initial post. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 Whoops, missed that. - (admin) - (1)
                     Haven't got a clue. - (inthane-chan)
         OT did you sic Brandi onto - (boxley) - (3)
             Just googled the link. - (inthane-chan)
             seagoth? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                 thought you might like it -NT - (boxley)
         Radeon 9000 not supported yet? - (admin) - (27)
             Yes - (Steve Lowe)
             So looks like I need to bump my XF86 version. - (inthane-chan) - (25)
                 Re: So looks like I need to bump my XF86 version. - (rickmoen) - (18)
                     Ditto. - (admin)
                     Well, that's part of the problem. - (inthane-chan) - (16)
                         Re: Well, that's part of the problem. - (rickmoen) - (15)
                             Might look into that. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                                 Re: Might look into that. - (deSitter) - (6)
                                     No. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                         Not worth responding to. RTFRN -NT - (deSitter) - (4)
                                             Heh. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 Now I'm pissed - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                     Re: Now I'm pissed - (pwhysall)
                                                     Pissed, maybe, but still wrong. - (admin)
                                 Re: Might look into that. - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                     Thanks! - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                         Dooo eeet - (pwhysall)
                             Not so sure about that. - (admin) - (2)
                                 Re: Not so sure about that. - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                     One thing I have always maintained: - (admin)
                             Gracias - (Ashton)
                 Re: So looks like I need to bump my XF86 version. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     Re: So looks like I need to bump my XF86 version. - (rickmoen) - (3)
                         Resolving dependancies. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                             Re: Resolving dependancies. - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                 My preferred kernel-building technique: - (admin)
                 Re: So looks like I need to bump my XF86 version. - (rickmoen)
         Depth 1? - (deSitter)

A load of old toss.
50 ms