IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance
What is a DOE Q clearance?

How hard is it to get? What does one have to go through?

I'm seeing this in some ads I'm looking at and trying to use "Q" in a Google search is futile.

Thanks.
Darryl Peterson

I'm not as funny as I think I am.
New Re: Ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance
Its a pretty minimal security clearance. You see it in Aerospace and Defense work all the time. There's a minor background check that's done. The rub is its almost like experience - nobody wants to pay for you to get one but if you already have one it makes getting some jobs easier.

A lot of my friends have them. I've never gotten one.
New Info from Los Alamos
[link|http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/s/clearances/clearance_types.shtml|http://www.lanl.gov..._types.shtml]

Q is pretty restrictive - Top Secret. They probably do a pretty thorough check.

Look around there for more info.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.

New Be nice to your neighbors.
Back when I lived in Fort Worth near the General Dynamics F-16 factory, a large percentage of my neighbors worked at the plant. Periodically, I'd get a visit from men in black ties who would ask a series of questions about my neighbors. For those who work in sensitive matters, I gather that such investigations are routine.
New Return of the Q ?
That was a pretty ancient designation, later nuked. Guess they revived it. And way-back, Q was above P for preliminary. So if it now means ~ what it once did - you may expect the MIB to come calling periodically (though they won't be nearly as entertaining as The Movie) - Loved It!

Just don't joke about anti-cavitating submarine propellers and Swiss machine tools..

Ashton
New Re: Ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance
Q clearance will give you the ability to work on DOE/DOD Top Secret materials. If I recall correctly, there are three levels, P, L, and Q, with Q being the hardest to get. You pretty much have to have a spotless record and be a US Citizen or a Commonwealth citizen (i.e. U.K., Canada, Australia, etc.). Getting a 'Q' is time consuming and costs employers several thousand dollars. You don't get these things on your own like you would get a tech certification. I got my clearance in '99 while I was employed at Lawrence Livermore and it took a year from start to finish. Along the way I had my acquaintances interviewed by MIB types and I had a couple of taped interviews with the US State Dept. along the lines of 'Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party...'.
Ray
     Ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance - (dpeterson) - (5)
         Re: Ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance - (tuberculosis)
         Info from Los Alamos - (Another Scott)
         Be nice to your neighbors. - (CrisR)
         Return of the Q ? - (Ashton)
         Re: Ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance - (rsf)

Dad jokes are a socially acceptable way to fart on people.
40 ms