It sounds like you have a pretty sane and simple basic setup. Where I work now, different projects are sometimes on different, mutually exclusive versions of the same software. In other cases we only have a certain number of copies of some software, and have to be carefull not to install it on too many machines at one time.

At one place I worked I ended up being given admin rights to the machine I worked on because I had to swap hardware so often that the support guys got tired of hearing from me.

It's not the people that do nothing but interent scripting or VB applications that screw things up, it's people like myself that are forced to play around with com ports under windows and program with weird / obsolete tools.

Not having at least one network admin is a mistake though. Even if you have no public servers, somebody needs ot watch the email server and the internet connection.

The company I work for now is very small, less then 50 employees and we have already had one significant attempt to crack our network and had our email server hijacked once to push spam.

Jay