IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let me give it a shot
There are two categories of users on an OS X desktop:

Admin: These have additional access to read/write some system files and directories but there are still a few parts of the file system that are off limits other than read-only. These users are allowed to use sudo to gain root privilege temporarily.

Non-admin: These are normal UNIX-style users. System stuff (including many preference settings such as Network) are off-limits. Non-admin users are not allowed to use sudo. These accounts can be further controlled by an Admin user to limit what apps they can run, whether they can burn CDs/DVDs, whether they can remove items from the Dock or even access the System Preferences.

You can set up a user to be logged in automatically (similar to W2K or RH 8) or require a login and password.

The root account is locked out by default. (It can be unlocked by an Admin user, however.)

Network services (http, sshd, etc.) are turned off by default.

All in all, I think Apple put a considerable amount of thought into balancing convenience versus manageability.

Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
New I want a Mac
I sense a sea change. Macs are coming. UNIX wins in the most unexpected, Brett Glassian way.
-drl
     Interesting story on OSX being the Default UNIX workstation - (folkert) - (11)
         Ironically MS helped with this - (tjsinclair)
         Re: Interesting story on OSX being the Default UNIX workstat - (deSitter) - (7)
             Well imagine user profiles in Windows9X... - (folkert) - (2)
                 dunno how you are set up but my users on OSX - (boxley) - (1)
                     Ummm... Yeah... That is why I said... - (folkert)
             Let me give it a shot - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                 I want a Mac - (deSitter)
             What is the UI level user context in OS X? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 Userix - (deSitter)
         reinventing the wheel in 1990 BP and Arco - (boxley)
         If and only if - (orion)

The man with the reverse Midas touch.
33 ms