IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Smiley has an apt turn of phrase
I think it's from Wittgenstein, the last of the relevant philosophers.

--from the Pear & McGuinness translation (of Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus) of 1961:

1 The world is all that is the case.
1.1 The world is the totality of facts, not of things.
1.11 The world is determined by the facts, and by their being all the facts.
1.12 For the totality of facts determines what is the case, and also whatever is not the case.
1.13 The facts in logical space are the world.
1.2 The world divides into facts.
1.21 Each item can be the case or not the case while everything else remains the same.

--and the fact remains that in 2000 we suffered a coup d'etat and that we are presently ruled, as Le Carr\ufffd observes, by a junta.

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
Expand Edited by rcareaga Jan. 22, 2003, 10:36:37 PM EST
New The depth of that observation is lost on too many

people.

- Many find it easier to ignore/forget the 'facts' of the US 2000 election.
- To ignore the way in which Ossama Bin Laden *was* transmorphed into Saddam Hussien.
- That the legitimate War on Terror *was* transmorphed into invading Iraq.
- To ignore that the need for US ecnomic stability and growth, is rooted in a stable supply of cheap oil.
- That these things are not random accidents.

But as with any absolutes, propaganda can temporarily distort the field of view of them, but cannot chage what is absolute or immutable.

Some of us can choose to observe and report on, and restate the absolutes in the face of field-view distortions.

The easiest way to tell who is who, and thus who has integrity, is to pick out the jihadists among us and either ignore them or keep rubbing their noses in the immutable absolutes they seek to distort.

Cheers

Doug Marker
New Nit
" To ignore that the need for US ecnomic stability and growth, is rooted in a stable supply of cheap oil." the WORLD economy depends on a STABLE supply of oil with an optimised price between 25 to 31 dollars a barrel. Cheaper than that the oil industry itself and the several US states that produce oil and the rest of the energy sector start to hurt. If you remember when oil was $9 per barrel 3 years ago Clinton had to put pressure on various suppliers to slow production.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New Adjustment

What you may not taking into account here is the volume of petrol & oil consumed daily by the US compared to every other nation.

The US consumes a grossly disproportionate amount and pays amongs the cheapest pump prices. Many other countries economies would be greatly boosted & thus wealth created, if there was some balance between globval demand, need & cost.

Cheers

Doug
(Hmmm back on this endless merry-go-round again)
New I find it hard to beleive that the price of gas in HK
is due to cost. Other countries buy on the same spot market from the same countries we do. The cost of gas at the pumps is due to our population refusing to accept the criminally high taxes imposed by other nations on their subjects.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New Yeah, criminal all right -
Pissed away on health care even for the dregs, schools which kick our ass - and resulting generally fewer despicable acts of violence -- which the people with no hope tend to ramp up, as the toffs begin to flaunt their haul.

(Why.. they coulda spent it for all new nukes! like US.)

Funny idea of a 'criminal' voted-for taxation, all right.

Ashton
New taxes of 7 to 8 times value is criminal
and encourages civil disobedience of bad laws, prohibition comes to mind.
thanx,
bill

New Re: prohibition
A major difference is that you can make your own liquor but not your own gasoline. On the other hand, one similarity is the occurrence of [link|http://www.indianexpress.com/fe/daily/19990409/fma09006.html|smuggling].
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New Nothing 'immoral' in that -
A society makes all kinds of laws and statutes to 'encourage' the direction of change. The sin-taxes fare the worst, as cheating on those is OK by the folk-consensus.

Using gas taxes to repair infrastructure, subsidize other services to all -- makes just as much sense as making evryone buy a tenth of a nuke. And in those countries mentioned: if the populace didn't Like It - they could change it.

Here - we'd rather have our juvenile car-fetish subsidized by all - rather than vice versa. And it shows.

Ashton
New Field / Ground
Obv. 'politics' is the name of the macro play du jour. Anytime. What appears to distinguish the current jour from the progression of Acts/Scenes of recent years -- is the artlessness, transparency, menace -- of the current usurpers.

That the message is neither consistent nor self-consistent is the giveaway, even for the slow to grok. That the messages have collectively revealed not merely the 'enlightened self-interest?' of the inept actors with leading roles - but demonstrate that this interest.. is not in accord with any semblance of "the good of the many":

is unusual, even in the tawdry morass of Murican sloganeering. Today the 'medium' is not even the 'massaging' but the blatant pummeling of the (dare I say it? yeah..) body politic.

Are You Better Off Today Than You Were Two Years Ago ??

It may even prove entertaining, if not actually interesting - to guess the means of self-undoing of the mediocre minds now at play. My own feeling though, is that - the undoing shall be as tawdry as usual:

Mere 'economics' - the fate of the Dow! (which has so little to do with the actual economic state of the real People of the 'nation' - but merely the oligarchy) This alone shall be the necessary and sufficient cause of the depopularizing of these Populist demagogues and their Righteous Fundamentalism and other quirks - which are Loved by only a deranged and relatively constant minority of the mentioned People.

So we shall do the 'right thing' for the usual tawdry 'reasons' -- and many shall miss the Principles involved -- just as the execrable unConstitutional PATRIOT acronym was downed without significant nausea then or yet.

WTF - it's the only play in town and it's a soap opera with cardboard characters. Some of us want Shakespeare and we get.. Iago and Polonius, played by Beavis & Butthead.

Zzzzzzzz
Ashton
New OmiGawd.. Debbie Does Dallas _|_ IWE Does Wittgenstein
(thus first Hegel or.. the Thingness gets castrated)

And you extirpate from that incredible homologous mass..
That sentence which may be Bowdlerized (by ummm .. too many?) into a tortured assertion that the er World of Duality is indeed umm "The Real" (!?):

1.13 The facts in logical space are the [1]world.
1.21 Each item can be the case or not the case while everything else remains the same.

{sigh} Guess it was inevitable, what with a metaphysics forum and all.. Are we up to-
[Diese] Vorstellungsweise ist der Realismus . . . genannt worden. Hier sind die allgemeinen Bestimmungen der Dinge nur \ufffdberhaupt als bestimmte Beziehung vom Objekt auf das Subjekt zu betrachten." (Suhrkamp Verlag, Werke in zwanzig B\ufffdnden, Bd. 4, S. 111 f.)

Or even, the three aspects of the priority of relations to things ?

OK I'm not up to the urspr\ufffdnglicher Deutscher, nor can I imagine our tour through Hegel, Mr. W and the inevitable post-postmodernist descent into orthoproctology. How about a lateral arabesque, then?

IF This-All (ding an sich) IS merely the maya (not quite a Hegellian term, but WTF) - then a close focus at \ufffd-resolution can only incestuously recurse. No?
IF there are no (useful) referents for that which we wish to approach - usually tagged Reality [??]

THEN: What are the odds that Mr. W. might akshully say the unspeakable?

Ah well - it certainly *would be* hard.. to fully grok that Bushie (the whole Prescott B. clan), Iraq, Billy and monoethanolamine -- are mere figments of the mind. Corollary: 'mind' is all there is, that knows stuff [???]

Er, What Was I Thinking !?
Never mind. Prefer F. Schubert, 'Mein schatz hats gr\ufffdn so gern". Jealousy we can deal with. Not reality.

Ashton

[1] "the world" - Reality or maya be the referent [??]
If conditioned reflex theory indeed works at the language-activity level too, then our question might be: "What structure of the world do conditioning processes base upon?"
New Re: OmiGawd.. Debbie Does Dallas _|_ IWE Does Wittgenstein
THEN: What are the odds that Mr. W. might akshully say the unspeakable?

Oh, I think we both know that whereof he could not speak he would perforce pass over in silence.

Lest I be imagined to parade about in borrowed academic finery, and not my autodidact's motley, I should explain that my tagline is more than anything else a tribute to a piece of intellectual overreach from my distant youth, a memory of a sunny afternoon 30+ years ago when I retired silent upon a peak in Darien--or at least a windswept wooded hillside on the north end of Monterey Bay--with a knapsack, a blanket, a bottle of plonk and a not illiberal dose of a then-popular Swiss-formulated ergot alkaloid derivative, and proceeded (once the little telltale thunk in the frontal lobes and slight onset of queasiness signalled that the roller coaster had left the platform and begun its climb) to read my trusty Tractatus from cover to cover. And, oh my, my auditors!--it all made glorious sense that afternoon. The passages of logical notation (which I believe Nabokov had in mind when, in a passage I thought I remembered from Ada but have just now failed to retrieve, he spoke of philosophical tomes "erupting into formulas and equations that blind one's brain," or words to better effect) this time readily yielded up their sense as I raced through the tome, uncovering progressively deeper, more complex levels of meaning; profundities that had eluded the best exegesists of the previous half century stood revealed to me (take that, Liz Anscombe! Take that, Rush Rhees!), and I grokked, o lordie how I grokked what Douglas Adams had not yet thought to call Life, the Universe and Everything...

What was actually happening, as anyone will know who has played with these compounds, is that the alkaloid was overclocking my pattern-recognition circuitry way past its operating tolerances--I probably could have read the facing German pages instead and still been, for that hour or two, the foremost Wittgenstein scholar of my day--and of course the hidden meanings evaporated as I hiked back to the dorm. I'm put in mind of an account I once read (almost certainly derived from William James, but a couple of generations of paraphrase removed at the time I encountered it) about a writer who, under the influence of a powerful unnamed intoxicating agent received a world-shattering revelation which, with considerable effort, he contrived to commit to paper. Upon recovering his wits he read: "There's a funny smell in the room."

--This by way of returning to topic: It's now Year Three of the Usurpation, and there's a funny smell in the country. Indeed, some of our friends have begun to remark upon it.

cordially,

New Dude, you a DLI'er?
North end of the Bay would be Seaside? Fort Ord?

I used to hang out at Cannery Row and Asilomar and read deep shit too... Nabakov and Gogol, Lermontov and Dostoevsky... At one time I thought I had it all figured out. Then, the Welt kicked my sorry, infinitessimal ass up and down. :-)

Enquiring minds want to know.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

Living is easy with eyes closed
misunderstanding all you see,
it's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
it doesn't matter much to me

J. Lennon - Strawberry Fields Forever
New Re: Dude, you a DLI'er?
North end of the Bay would be Seaside? Fort Ord?

Ah, that would be the north end of the peninsula. For the north end of the bay, cast your eyes up to the university town at the end of Highway 17.

cordially,
New Santa Cruz?
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

Living is easy with eyes closed
misunderstanding all you see,
it's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
it doesn't matter much to me

J. Lennon - Strawberry Fields Forever
New Ah.. clearer.
IIRC with similar adjustments to the tuning coils and capacitor trim.. a trio of us, listening to a particular Bach fugue (wish I could recall the No. or if the title incl. the word infinite), as it ascended, then umm transmogrified.. and just as you thought.. you Knew the next progression (nearing the end of the last octave), well - - JS found a New Way Around \ufffd

Ulp. To Know.. To Know That You Know...
(And to to realize that everything you know is false)

But I/we digress from the topic at hand - perforce what the world desperately needs next, is for the US to take a dose of Epsom Salts, then return the present lugubrious bunch of medieval hacks to a funny farm
[in E. Texas -somehow that has a ring to it].

How? Rx == Laughter. *ONLY* Geo Carlin-grade sustained ridicule of that posture which is both vulgar and vulnerable, saith the Ostrich - might cut through the nested layers of bafflegab. Dignifying tripe with analysis down to the fecal matter - elides the experiencing of that aroma.

Yours for better fecal aromatic enhancement,

Psilocybin LLC
no wonder the new crop of graduates are so deadly dull - imagine *choosing* a 'life-sentence', an MBA over an education - or at least a Chance.
Arbeit Macht Frei cha cha cha
New Not one shred of evidence
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious

Mark Twain said that, and unless I'm very much mistaken on the timeline, he'd already fought on the losing side of one of the most astoundingly ugly wars in the history of the world.

Oh, that reminds me, I forgot the second dose today...
----
Whatever
New How regularly we forget the Bard...
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Odd that some find this depressing.. to me it is an exhortation to take little seriously, suffer fools only as long as amused - and otherwise enjoy The Play. But then, what do I know. Imagine the responsibility ... of being quoted 387 years after your 'death' !!

:-\ufffd
Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
     Smiley's creator speaks - (rcareaga) - (24)
         Smiley has an apt turn of phrase - (boxley) - (20)
             Re: Smiley has an apt turn of phrase - (deSitter) - (19)
                 oops got gelt mixed up with welt -NT - (boxley)
                 Re: Smiley has an apt turn of phrase - (rcareaga) - (17)
                     The depth of that observation is lost on too many - (dmarker) - (8)
                         Nit - (boxley) - (6)
                             Adjustment - (dmarker) - (5)
                                 I find it hard to beleive that the price of gas in HK - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Yeah, criminal all right - - (Ashton) - (3)
                                         taxes of 7 to 8 times value is criminal - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Re: prohibition - (a6l6e6x)
                                             Nothing 'immoral' in that - - (Ashton)
                         Field / Ground - (Ashton)
                     OmiGawd.. Debbie Does Dallas _|_ IWE Does Wittgenstein - (Ashton) - (7)
                         Re: OmiGawd.. Debbie Does Dallas _|_ IWE Does Wittgenstein - (rcareaga) - (6)
                             Dude, you a DLI'er? - (screamer) - (2)
                                 Re: Dude, you a DLI'er? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     Santa Cruz? -NT - (screamer)
                             Ah.. clearer. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 Not one shred of evidence - (mhuber) - (1)
                                     How regularly we forget the Bard... - (Ashton)
         Re: Smiley's creator speaks - (deSitter)
         Richard Cohen's OpEd response. - (Another Scott)
         It hasn't been a complete transformation. - (Brandioch)

Did anybody else know that they kept a lake behind that big dam?
109 ms